996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt selling dilemma...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
996tt selling dilemma...

Hi all,

I'm sure many of you who own your turbo for a while and don't get to use it much were at one point thinking about this.
I drove my car very little in the past year and a half, mostly just starting it regularly, and as much as I want to keep it I just don't know if I should. Even when I take it for a drive, the roads down here are extremely flat and boring, and I never track the car. Other than that insurance is very expensive.
p.s. Moving from a mountain area to a flat area is DEPRESSING.

I never went to a track day, so I was thinking of buying something Japanese and much cheaper that I would actually try and take to the track once in a while. I would feel much more comfortable taking a cheaper Japanese car to the track.

For those of you who kept, or those who sold, are you happy you kept? Are you sad you sold? If you sold what did you get instead?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Sounds like you need to upgrade somethings and make it more fun.
Get a Fabspeed (loud) exhaust, a flash, a 997 Short Shift, and you'll be happy again.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Look in the mirror , slap yourself a few times and say what was I thinking... :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
take the Porsche out for a nice drive, drive to a car lot with anything you were thinking of replacing it with and drive that car then get in yours and drive home and tell us your thoughts.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Looks to me like the answer is already embedded in your post. Get out and drive it (if you're in Miami, I'd argue that should basically be all year round), and take it to the track (see my earlier post). If you've taken it to the track, and you still want to sell it -- well then, I can't help you there...... My advice is to treat it like a car (albeit a very fast and nice one), not like a sculpture.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
yea its not art work drive the thing! dont be afraid of rain or anything i put 10k+ miles on mine in the first 3 months of ownership

Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
It honestly sounds like you need to hand wax it and fall in love with it again.

You could dump it like a redheaded step child and get that long wished for Prius you have been yearning for!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 AM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Speaking from pers exp. DON'T SELL

I sold my 02 996tt with 13k miles in October of 2010 as I didn't think I was driving it enough and didn't like the idea of $50,000. sitting in the garage not being used. I had major seller remorse when it drove away. Once it was gone all I could do is think about how much I missed it. So in January of 2011 I replaced it and I finally have the smile back on my face. The best thing you can do is to let a friend drive the car away from you, as if you just sold it. It will remind you of how sweet these cars look driving down the road. These are incredible cars, super reliable and a great bargain. When I sold mine I thought I would replace it with maybe a cab or M5 or Shelby GT500, what was I thinking. You cannot replace these cars for the money, keep it or you will be sorry.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
If I lived in Miami I would drive my turbo every single day and looove it, the roads there are awesome, some sick views over water and plenty of places to blast the car up to high speeds safely. I think you should get a nice detail, maybe some mods, try and link up with some other people who have cars and enjoy

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by YZWILLY
When I sold mine I thought I would replace it with maybe a cab or M5 or Shelby GT500, what was I thinking. You cannot replace these cars for the money, keep it or you will be sorry.
Correct.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Tracks mine for the first time last year and am SOOO hooked. Not selling mine unless something like a GT3-RS comes along. Seriously- get out and enjoy it likenit was meant to be driven and a few mods bring back the newness and excitement.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
You're already trying to come up with reasons to sell her. I say you should sell her and make some one else happy.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Take some Midol, go drive the car around and I'm sure you'll feel better

Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
thought about selling mine too but everytime i get in it and drive it i just can't let it go. so, instead of selling i ordered a new steering wheel to make me want to drive it even more these cars are the best bang for the money right now period!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
To OP -- just read your post again. Can you enlighten us as to why you don't drive your 996TT much? Then, we could dispense with your issues much more effectively here . Seriously though, I noticed that you have a few nice high performance cars -- is that the problem?

You might have noticed that I have a pet peeve here about driving these cars. I have a very good friend who owns a GT3, Challenge Stradale, and just got a Ford GT. Never drives them at all, and certainly not when it's not perfectly sunny. When he got the GT, the first stop was the Dyno to confirm the 600+ hp. My first thought was that none of them horses would see the light of day. Other than electronics/computers there's almost nothing that depreciates faster than a car. Use it or lose it I say! (I'm always ragging him on this too).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996tt selling dilemma...