996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Definitive drive cycle to reset?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 PM
rawbar is on a distinguished road
Thanks this is very informative. I found out today what the issue is. I scheduled my appointment with the state for next week and the guy called me today and told me my ecu has been flashed and the catalyst efficiency sensors were turned off. So not to come in until I

Flash back to stock ecu
Hope no CEL comes on ( not holding my breath the sensors must have been shut off for a reason)
And verify there are no spacers on the o2 sensors

So for step 1 - umw

Hoping I don't have to deal with step 2 but I'm sure the sensors were shut off for a reason.
If CEL doesn't come on the inspector said he might be able to pass me even with aftermarket exhaust and cats but he couldn't make any promises.

Last edited by rawbar; 07-19-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:10 PM
splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rawbar
Thanks this is very informative. I found out today what the issue is. I scheduled my appointment with the state for next week and the guy called me today and told me my ecu has been flashed and the catalyst efficiency sensors were turned off. So not to come in until I

Flash back to stock ecu
Hope no CEL comes on ( not holding my breath the sensors must have been shut off for a reason)

So for step 1 - umw

Hoping I don't have to deal with step 2 but I'm sure the sensors were shut off for a reason.
If CEL doesn't come on the inspector said he might be able to pass me even with aftermarket exhaust and cats but he couldn't make any promises.
I had a similar run in Illinois, an EPL tune that had been on the car for years prior to my purchase and it had to many things turned off (Emissions, knock safeties and more things untouched) so it wouldn't pass. Had the car retuned locally (Chicago) by DJ Markski and passed the next week.

I did not follow any specific reset process/protocol though, just drove it around until I had time to go get retested.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rawbar

Flash back to stock ecu

So for step 1 - umw

two things:

it's highly probable where you are ( as it is here ) that even if your monitors read "ready", the OBD readout will show a "recently" cleared CEL which is why its important to have hook you up to "readout' BEFORE they transmit any data to the state. or else it's an automatic fail. but from reading your situation, i think you're past that given they have sent you to a "state" facility ( if i read that right? ).. but in Kali, a recently cleared cel is a "fail" but they'll usually tell you to drive around a 100 miles or so and return to test.

...and if all else fails and you have cats in and your tune hasn't had the 02's "coded out"? then you can ( if you find competent/knowledgeable "help" "trick" the readiness monitors into being "ready". a "hard reset" of sorts, and not a widely known ( albeit half assed ) "solution".

also, the spacers ( mini-cats/bung-whatchacallitz ) won't make a difference as to whether or not you actually "pass". they are only there to "trick" the 02's. a "pass" is a pass. its the cats that are ( also visually ) critical, and the car wouldn't pass without cats anyway, emission wise.

gl man, its all a giant PITA. don't i know

Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM
rawbar is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I am past the point of no return. The local inspection station told me the computer reported its 'not ready' and to drive around for a while. I then had my shop do coils and plugs, and they told me that their computer was saying it was ready. Took it back for inspection, they said it's still not ready and I was referred to the state run inspection station. I called to make the appt and was asked why I brought it back to be tested a 2nd time as it was kicked over to the state on the 1st attempt. I was never told that.

So I'm just trying to clean up the mess at this point, do what I have to to get it to pass and then figure out what mods can be done to keep it easily compliant for next year. Just a bit aggravated as I bought what I thought was a turnkey car only a month ago and am already into it for another 6k... Possibly more if I need to swap the exhaust and cats. I now have the really annoyed wife factor along with the associated I told you so to contend with. Grrrrr.....

Old 07-19-2017, 05:11 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i feel your pain. if its any consolation at all? once you get the monitors ready, they can stay that way for years if you don't mess with the cats. i used to be able to swap exhausts etc and never had a problem.. UNTIL i ran catless and i guess the ecu "adjusted" to the rich condition and didnt like the more restricted "catted" it had to recalibrate, once i reverted back.

most ( newer ) tunes and more recent tuned exhausts for these cars won't cause you problems moving forward. once you get this sorted, you'll be good for years ( hopefully lol )

just don't unhook your battery for long ( or let it die ), either

Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
This drive cycle stuff is bat shiat crazy. No matter what I do or even if have a CEL present, all my monitors always show ready. Go explain that one.... makes no sense. Another weird one is that my car only records type 2 overrevs, type 1s are frozen.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM
^ completely agree. it's the source of the most confounding issue i have ever had on this now 14 year old car. it's enough to drive ya nuts, and i don't need help

Old 07-20-2017, 11:50 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I had issues with my flash because I did the flash in FL(no emissions) and the O2 monitors were turned off. Was not aware of it and was a bunch of BS before we finally found out it was the tune. Tuner made right by it for $0.

On the other hand for monitors, i find that when my car is parked for a while or if my battery dies I get a CEL for SAI. And every once in a whils the SAI pump not cycling causes cold start misfires that eventually also trigger more codes. Then after driving a bunch the CEL goes away and the light turns off. It's like the car does not immediately turn on or monitor the SAI pump. It is annoying as my car is seasonal and quite often is parked during the winter. I think one contributing factor is the crap SAI pumps that seize when the car is parked or their is any water that it ingests and rusts the bearings. I would love to rip the SAI system out and code it out. IIRC the 997TT doesn't even run SAI with mostly the same engine. Not sure if their ECU is more advanced or what. This car is by far the worst when it comes to emissions monitors.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
they can stay that way for years if you don't mess with the cats.
just don't unhook your battery for long ( or let it die ), either
It is so confusing...from what I understand, any CEL will result in monitor(s) showing "not ready" and as you stated too, a battery disconnect will have the same result.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It is so confusing...from what I understand, any CEL will result in monitor(s) showing "not ready" and as you stated too, a battery disconnect will have the same result.
Generally yes, but not always...

Old 07-30-2020, 05:19 PM
RGB81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Two weeks before I was going to smog my 997.1 I blew an exhaust O2 sensor. I drove it every day for over a week after replacing the sensor and could not clear the readiness error. Out of desperation I tired this ridiculous procedure and cannot believe it worked.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:30 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Lots of cursing and stop sign running from me when doing this.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:11 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I just had Todd Knighton make me some black magic emissions tune. The readiness settings were all ready to go without driving the car and I passed easily. A nice solution but it did cost me.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
I just had Todd Knighton make me some black magic emissions tune. The readiness settings were all ready to go without driving the car and I passed easily. A nice solution but it did cost me.
did you send him the ecu.. or did he send you a file to flash load?

i'm nearing having to go thru smog testing for the 5th or 6th? hellish time on this car. thinking of moving it to another state.

don't worry. youre safe from me in ID lol

i *may* try the drive reset protocol now that i've cleared up all the dumb cel issues i get.

but, man. usually it's a real PITA even when all is good to go. its always the CATS argh lol

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 10-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:07 PM
He sent me a file. It was a thousand bucks but he is working with me to update my current tune and maybe will get a race gas tune.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Definitive drive cycle to reset?