996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

any reason for launch control on TIP car flash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM
scottrx7tt has a spectacular aura aboutscottrx7tt has a spectacular aura about
any reason for launch control on TIP car flash?

i installed the EPL tune on my car a little while back, and i just noticed that it has the launch control built into the flash. Is there any reason, to have this on a Tip?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 PM
602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future602996TT has a brilliant future
Well I have a 6speed with launch control and basically the same it's allowing you to create boost mine creates .2bar of boost at 5200rpm so you can get better launch. Otherwise if you didn't have launch control you would just be revving your engine with no build up in boost at launch.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 AM
since mine is auto, you can really only rely on brake boosting, and the torque converter stall isnt that hight to benefit from any of that.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
You may want to check with Tony. I didn't think the Tip flashes even had Launch Control. I could very well be wrong. I've never tried to brake-boost my car. I leave the dragging to others.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
You may want to check with Tony. I didn't think the Tip flashes even had Launch Control. I could very well be wrong. I've never tried to brake-boost my car. I leave the dragging to others.
seth,
if you get a chance, put your car in neutral and rev it and see what happens, i can floor mine, and it holds about 5k i think. Maybe they sent me the wrong flash??

Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
seth,
if you get a chance, put your car in neutral and rev it and see what happens, i can floor mine, and it holds about 5k i think. Maybe they sent me the wrong flash??
I will do it this weekend. I'm in New York City, so I only get to visit her in the garage on weekends. I'm sure EPL sent you the right flash. I may just be mistaken. I'll post results on Saturday.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
seth,
Lol, so using the launch control, you will need to shift from N to D while you floor? Is the tiptronic can be hold on this way? Interested to know more.

I am picking EPL or softronic in the mean time, and I saw EPL has the launch control offer....

Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by boyg
Lol, so using the launch control, you will need to shift from N to D while you floor? Is the tiptronic can be hold on this way? Interested to know more.
Please don't shift from N to D under high RPMs. This "neutral drop" is the harshest thing you can do to your automatic transmission (even more severe than "brake boosting"). My understanding is that in neutral, the RPMs are limited as a safety feature for all tiptronics.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 PM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alpha
Please don't shift from N to D under high RPMs. This "neutral drop" is the harshest thing you can do to your automatic transmission (even more severe than "brake boosting"). My understanding is that in neutral, the RPMs are limited as a safety feature for all tiptronics.
Exactly, that's why I'm wondering why there is launch control on Tip.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I believe it should ONLY work when your foot is on the brake and throttle at the same time. If you start your car and just stomp on the throttle, you should hit the factory redline...If you start your car, keep you foot on the brake and lightly push the throttle, you will hit a soft limiter at 4000, 5000 etc...that is the launch control...It should also work on the fly, although I had a 6 speed, not sure about the Tips.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
There is no "launch control" on a tip. The closest you can get is converting your Torque Converter to allow for rpms while braking. If the TC is stock, the car will brake loose around 2500 rpm and roll right through the brakes. But, what do I know.

Originally Posted by ttboost
I believe it should ONLY work when your foot is on the brake and throttle at the same time. If you start your car and just stomp on the throttle, you should hit the factory redline...If you start your car, keep you foot on the brake and lightly push the throttle, you will hit a soft limiter at 4000, 5000 etc...that is the launch control...It should also work on the fly, although I had a 6 speed, not sure about the Tips.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
But, what do I know.

That's what everyone has been asking? Especially Paulie...

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 AM
i assume its just built into the program, obviously its useless with a Tip. tranny

Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
That's what everyone has been asking? Especially Paulie...
I think he has forgotten how to drive his car altogether.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Ha ha ha didn't think I was watching, Mike & Todd. Well I hope you learned your lesson.

I have to agree with you Todd, I have forgotten how to start the car,much less how to drive it.