996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hybrid K16s without map

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Yazz911TT will become famous soon enough
Hybrid K16s without map

Hi guys, I'm looking to get more power out of the car, but im trying to work out the best sequence to do the mods in, so that it is cost effective, i.e. not paying labour for the same thing twice. I'm gonna do, hybrid K16s, turbo intake pipes, clutch, flywheel, intercoolers, 5bar fpr, injectors and obviously a map. at the moment i have 5bar fpr and turbo intake pipes. therez no point fitting turbo intake pipes as the engine has to be taken out or lowered at least to fit this, so i cant do this until i have clutch and flywheel, but i have money for hybrids and im itching to do something quicly for more power. So im thinking fit the 5bar fpr and get the turbos hybridded.
I want to ask, can i drive around with hybrid turbos without a map for a month or so till i have money to map. Or am i better off waiting to do the map straight after hybrids. If I do drive with hybrids, do i have to drive gently or can i still drive fast and hard? Thanks for ur time.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
soloracer996TT is on a distinguished road
I have AMS Billet K16's and the map was included in the purchase price. Not sure why you wouldn't get a map for the turbo's from the vendor. If you don't have a map for the turbo's you should forget about them until you can get one. Driving an "untuned" car could be very costly in the long run.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
You should wait for a map! You could drive it gently but I would not If you are waiting a month to map it.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yazz911TT
So im thinking fit the 5bar fpr and get the turbos hybridded.
I want to ask, can i drive around with hybrid turbos without a map for a month or so till i have money to map. Or am i better off waiting to do the map straight after hybrids. If I do drive with hybrids, do i have to drive gently or can i still drive fast and hard? Thanks for ur time.
You need a map and 5 bar with the hybrids.. your car will freak out.. especially with 1 bar Wg springs...
I would do it the other way... do the tune and 5 bar... then do the hybrids...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Guys is there any short cut of fitting these damn turbo intake pipes?? Also, when engine is taken out, do u lose oil? Is it true that the oil return lines break when removing turbos due to rust?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Guys is there any short cut of fitting these damn turbo intake pipes?? Also, when engine is taken out, do u lose oil? Is it true that the oil return lines break when removing turbos due to rust?
Don;t bother trying to save some money.. you will end up like the rest of the guys who never did it and messed up the install.. then had to tow it to a shop...
its not worth it... just by you asking such questions gives me chills.. your in for a lot more then you seem to handle.. take some advice and just let someone do it that does it for a living... I'm serious...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Hi guys, I'm looking to get more power out of the car, but im trying to work out the best sequence to do the mods in, so that it is cost effective, i.e. not paying labour for the same thing twice. I'm gonna do, hybrid K16s, turbo intake pipes, clutch, flywheel, intercoolers, 5bar fpr, injectors and obviously a map. at the moment i have 5bar fpr and turbo intake pipes. therez no point fitting turbo intake pipes as the engine has to be taken out or lowered at least to fit this, so i cant do this until i have clutch and flywheel, but i have money for hybrids and im itching to do something quicly for more power. So im thinking fit the 5bar fpr and get the turbos hybridded.
do everything at once if you can, it will save a decent amount of money...maybe enough to buy a nice new shellsuit and a ford capri

(sorry, couldnt resist, i lived in chelmsford for half my life)

Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
With the hybrid K16s that you're thinking about, forget the inlet piping and save your money.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You've gotten some really good advice here...

Things to consider doing at the same time:
Turbos
Wastegate springs
5BAR FPR
Tune

Things you may consider, especially if you have lots of mileage/use on the clutch:
Clutch/PP/FW
Intercoolers
Intake plumbing.

I have a K16 Hybrid Setup from UMW and have had it for 4.5 years. I've had good luck with it, and I currently don't have upgraded intake plumbing. I'm also ONLY running the 996GT2 intercoolers. My car is very quick, but could use those two upgrades... The only reason I'm considering those is so I can turn DOWN the boost to relieve stress on the engine. I don't see intercoolers on your list, but I would add them for sure...Maybe before doing the intake plumbing.

When I upgraded from the K16 Hybrid turbos/Stock FPR/Stock Wastegate springs/Upsolute tune to the K16 Hybrids/5BAR FPR/Heavy springs and UMW tune we instantly fried the clutch. So keep that in mind. If budget is a serious concern, get a good tune with the Hybrids and the 5bar and go play. You might be surprised at how quick the car becomes without all those "extras".

I'm a road course guy, so I have a skewed perspective, but I lap with GT3s and Cupcars without getting embarrassed. Sometimes I actually show them what the rear of a Turbo looks like.
Mike

Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
You've gotten some really good advice here...

Things to consider doing at the same time:
Turbos
Wastegate springs
5BAR FPR
Tune

Things you may consider, especially if you have lots of mileage/use on the clutch:
Clutch/PP/FW
Intercoolers
Intake plumbing.

I have a K16 Hybrid Setup from UMW and have had it for 4.5 years. I've had good luck with it, and I currently don't have upgraded intake plumbing. I'm also ONLY running the 996GT2 intercoolers. My car is very quick, but could use those two upgrades... The only reason I'm considering those is so I can turn DOWN the boost to relieve stress on the engine. I don't see intercoolers on your list, but I would add them for sure...Maybe before doing the intake plumbing.

When I upgraded from the K16 Hybrid turbos/Stock FPR/Stock Wastegate springs/Upsolute tune to the K16 Hybrids/5BAR FPR/Heavy springs and UMW tune we instantly fried the clutch. So keep that in mind. If budget is a serious concern, get a good tune with the Hybrids and the 5bar and go play. You might be surprised at how quick the car becomes without all those "extras".

I'm a road course guy, so I have a skewed perspective, but I lap with GT3s and Cupcars without getting embarrassed. Sometimes I actually show them what the rear of a Turbo looks like.
Mike
Thanks soooooooo so much for the AMAZING advice!! Including all you guys who posted above!! It has really made me rethink things and how to procede with my mods!!

The above was totally my plan, have the K16s hybrid'ed then drive to the mapper who can fit the 5bar FPR and then tune the car.

Mikelly can I ask what boost level they tuned your car to? I'm looking to tell the tuner to just go with a 1bar map so i still have life in my clutch. My clutch is fine i think, the car has only done 46Kmiles. Only been to drag strip once.

Just to clear up the reasons y i posted this question up is that, the tuning scene for porsches in the UK is lil different. Not many vendors make hybrids. And when your in the car scene like me, most of your friends are mechanics as well as enthusiasts, so most of my friends have contacts, i.e. turbo builders, engine builders, fabricators, but everyone is all over the country. If i go to a single vendor over here, they all want £20K pounds for a 550-650hp 'power upgrade kit' thats around $35K!! U just get ur pants pulled down coz u have a 'Porsche'!! So the reason I am having a lil bit of difficulty is that I am trying to have things done thru friends contacts, so i have to go to 1 place to do the hybrids, 1 place for the map, and i'm lucky in the fact that my friend who also has a 996tt has put me in touch with a Porsche master tech at one of the local dealerships, he does private out of hours work for $35 an hour!! So far i've used him for all maintenenance and various bits n pieces. Luckily he is also a tuning enthusiast rather than those Technicians that think NO NO NO do not touch the car leave it as it is from factory!!

My plan was to do have my friend, or the porsche master tech guy, take the turbos off, send them to the turbo builder contact, who will build them to any spec i wish, obviously with his recommendations in consideration, then have them refitted by the person that takes them off. BUt then i would have to wait till next month to get paid to then go and have the 5bar fpr fitted and the tune done. But i could have gotten the porsche tech to fit the 5bar fpr while he was taking off/refitting turbos. THen i would just go to the tuner for the map.

Lastly, sorry for the long winded post but i hope i've explained myself better and i'm not cheaping out on stuff i'm just trying to get stuff done thru contacts. I would never cheap out on a porsche.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by buzzm
do everything at once if you can, it will save a decent amount of money...maybe enough to buy a nice new shellsuit and a ford capri

(sorry, couldnt resist, i lived in chelmsford for half my life)
Wow amazing!! Nice to meet someone whos moved to the other side of the pond!! I live in Billericay and i went to chelmsford college! Most of my friends are in chelmsford, and my dad worked at broomfield hospital when i was 1-2yrs old so we lived there too, so i'm down there a fair bit!

Where in the states have u moved to, if you dont mind me asking? I wanna move out to America as well!! I LOVE THE USA!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
My car is tuned to 1.2Bar boost with UMW K16/24 turbos. Whoever you work with, the key is how abrupt the turque curve is. Some have had good luck with working with their tuner to get a more clutch friendly tune, at the sacrefice of a little torque.

Mike

Mikelly can I ask what boost level they tuned your car to? I'm looking to tell the tuner to just go with a 1bar map so i still have life in my clutch. My clutch is fine i think, the car has only done 46Kmiles. Only been to drag strip once.

Just to clear up the reasons y i posted this question up is that, the tuning scene for porsches in the UK is lil different. Not many vendors make hybrids. And when your in the car scene like me, most of your friends are mechanics as well as enthusiasts, so most of my friends have contacts, i.e. turbo builders, engine builders, fabricators, but everyone is all over the country. If i go to a single vendor over here, they all want £20K pounds for a 550-650hp 'power upgrade kit' thats around $35K!! U just get ur pants pulled down coz u have a 'Porsche'!! So the reason I am having a lil bit of difficulty is that I am trying to have things done thru friends contacts, so i have to go to 1 place to do the hybrids, 1 place for the map, and i'm lucky in the fact that my friend who also has a 996tt has put me in touch with a Porsche master tech at one of the local dealerships, he does private out of hours work for $35 an hour!! So far i've used him for all maintenenance and various bits n pieces. Luckily he is also a tuning enthusiast rather than those Technicians that think NO NO NO do not touch the car leave it as it is from factory!!

My plan was to do have my friend, or the porsche master tech guy, take the turbos off, send them to the turbo builder contact, who will build them to any spec i wish, obviously with his recommendations in consideration, then have them refitted by the person that takes them off. BUt then i would have to wait till next month to get paid to then go and have the 5bar fpr fitted and the tune done. But i could have gotten the porsche tech to fit the 5bar fpr while he was taking off/refitting turbos. THen i would just go to the tuner for the map.

Lastly, sorry for the long winded post but i hope i've explained myself better and i'm not cheaping out on stuff i'm just trying to get stuff done thru contacts. I would never cheap out on a porsche.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Mike I hear u about the abrupt torque curve, but surely u can only go so smooth bcoz of the 1bar actuators. OH yea, going back to the turbo builder, he suggested I get 1bar actuators from AMS or forge. Do u or any one else know if they can be wound down to 0.9/0.8 bar by taking the preload off the spring?? thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Also make sure your waterlines aren't popping out of the block! if you have your motor out its worth it to weld them in, there should be around 8... one of mine just blew and when we inspected it there was another half out! I'm surprised I haven't heard more people on the forum experience this....

Good luck!

- David