996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just switched to a 997 shift knob. A few observations...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Just switched to a 997 shift ****. A few observations...

First off is the **** is much easier and nicer the shift with if you have short fat fingers like me. (<insert **** and hand sexual jokes here)
And the difference in weight between the ***** is huge. The 997 **** is much lighter. The 996TT **** feels almost intensionally weighted. One could argue the benefits of a weighted **** in easing shifting, but I simply do not feel any changes either way to do with this other than it might be easier to exert extra force and wear on the synchros with a weighted shifter? Not really sure. But I definately will not be looking back. The old **** was the upgraded aluminum trim **** with the "turbo" emblem. The shape was annoying and bulky feeling IMHO. Here is a few shots from the web of the two different ***** for comparison. Both ***** are black leather, but the design and shape are as advertised in the below photos. I will snap some shots in my car tomorrow to show how it looks.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
One of my fav mods! Don't forget to polish your ****! lol

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Did you replace the boot as well?

How difficult was the installation?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raineycd
One of my fav mods! Don't forget to polish your ****! lol

That's what she said......

OP: Great info, i'll be picking a "shift" **** up soon....

Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Did you replace the boot as well?

How difficult was the installation?
No. Just the ****. Took ~10 minutes. Really easy. Here is what you do...

1. So, the 997 shifter has an 1/8th turn nut hidden under the 997 boot that releases the **** from the leather boot.
2. Once that is separated, pop the stock shifter boot trim assemly loose by lifting at the rear. The rear will pop up and the front hooks under the batwing panel.
3. Pull the boot over the ****. Kinda like are pulling a prom dress up over your dates head
4. Use a 5mm allen to remove the set screw that fastens the **** to the shifter and pull the **** and boot loose.
5. The stock **** is held to the shifter via two zip ties. Cut those and set the old shift **** aside.
6. With the stock boot inside out assemble the new 997 shift **** so that the stock leather boot goes between the **** and that 1/8th turn nut and lock the 1/8th turn nut down. Use a zip tie to assist in fastening the boot so that the boot is covering the desired amount of the ****. Flip the boot back right side out.
7. The 997 shifter just pushes on snugly to the shifter and the shifter trim pops in the reverse of removal.
8. Enjoy a properly shaped shifter.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by vntperformance
That's what she said......

OP: Great info, i'll be picking a "shift" **** up soon....
I picked up my very slightly used **** and boot off of ebay for $88 shipped! After a damp soapy sponge it looks brand new. Check there and save some dough. I am probably going to sell the left over 997 boot along with the old **** on ebay.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Here is a shot of the installed shift ****.

Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Enter Content

Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
And another

Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
That looks great!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Agree that there is a lot of room in the **** department (and surprised we see so few...there are more exhaust options it seems than **** options for these cars....go figure).

Big fan of Techart (and likely now Rennline) option....they do get super hot if in direct sun on a hot day....other than that, love the billet ball option.

Your installed **** looks super and probably doesn't get so hot. It somehow freshened up the interior...looks great.

Attached Images   

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Here is a shot of the installed shift ****.
That looks awesome, well done! I assume it has no issues with the OEM short throw option?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech is on a distinguished road
very clean

Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM
He he. You said "**** department" That Is what I call capital hill.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
FYI I believe the extra weight in the shift **** is to isolate vibration.

Later, Steve

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just switched to a 997 shift knob. A few observations...