996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mobile 1 or Castrol Edge Formula RX 10W-60

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,Really nothing.......I have had engine oil analyzed from my motorcycles competition engines,,,,,that is no proof of protection level in the oil,,,Its the way the detergent package works in street engines...Most race oils do not have detergent packages in them...

+1
I have always thought of it this way.
If you wash your clothes by hand in just hot water and no detergent the water will look quite clean and the clothes will not be clean. Then you add a cup of detergent and suddenly the water becomes dirty and the clothes are now clean.
I look at oil that way too. We know engines produce carbon deposits and gunge, so I like to see that muck in the oil when I change it. That way I know the engine is clean.
Choice of oil is a mine field and as said before so so many posts about it. That's why I use the one Porsche tested for our cars. Once my big HP mod has been done I will ask Markski what is best but till them its OEM choice oil for me.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Quote from my friend who races Porsches and sold me my GT2: "Skip the manual - go 5W-50 synthetic. The earlier recommendations were based on milaege and emission allowances. The new GT2RS (which uses the same engine) likewise has corrected this BS and specifies 5W50 for all temps over -13 F. I've alwys fed it castrol syntec."

Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
+1
I have always thought of it this way.
If you wash your clothes by hand in just hot water and no detergent the water will look quite clean and the clothes will not be clean. Then you add a cup of detergent and suddenly the water becomes dirty and the clothes are now clean.
I look at oil that way too. We know engines produce carbon deposits and gunge, so I like to see that muck in the oil when I change it. That way I know the engine is clean.
Choice of oil is a mine field and as said before so so many posts about it. That's why I use the one Porsche tested for our cars. Once my big HP mod has been done I will ask Markski what is best but till them its OEM choice oil for me.
thanks for clarifying guys!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 AM
bolecailey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
Quote from my friend who races Porsches and sold me my GT2: "Skip the manual - go 5W-50 synthetic. The earlier recommendations were based on milaege and emission allowances. The new GT2RS (which uses the same engine) likewise has corrected this BS and specifies 5W50 for all temps over -13 F. I've alwys fed it castrol syntec."
This is true with most cars. Thinner weight oils have more to do with EPA mileage specs than anything else.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 PM
LO_996tt will become famous soon enough
I have been on a 2.5-3k interval on changes. 83k on the clock. I switched to Castrol Edge Syntec 5w50 last change from M1 5w40 tdt.

No noticeable diff in IMS noise from M1, but after 2k no oil burn and no smoke at start. I was topping off after 800-1000 mi on M1 for the last 20k. Oil looks to be less dark than M1--more honey than black and no smell after 2k. With it getting colder will be switching in 5w40 soon.