996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anybody have, use or know about Driving Shoes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:02 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Anybody have, use or know about Driving Shoes

I have always seen and read about Piloti driving shoes in catalogs and magazines and never saw a real need for them considering my specific use. I know ocassionally, on long drives, my right heel can get a bit uncomfortable from being constantly planted. So, with the TOD meet approaching, I thought it is high time to invest in some driving shoes. Piloti seems to be well respected in this industry and I wanted to hear a few opinions.

Piloti recently introduced a new shoe. It is called the Mulholland and it is a "Touring" shoe as they call it. It has a low cut side which seems to be a very good idea. Here is a pic:

Oakley has a pretty cool shoe as well although it is not specifically geared towards driving. It is called the Go Kart. Here is a pic:

Anybody care to share experiences or opinions?????

Old 10-15-2003, 12:12 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought some simpson mid top black suede driving shoes. They are comfortable and real nimble on the pedals. They also contain nomex in case it get's real hot down there...

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/

Old 10-15-2003, 12:15 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
here's a pic.. only $80.00

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2003, 12:21 PM
gtdream is infamous around these parts
Piloti are the best driving shoes there are. Sparco racing makes a very nice pair also. I use the sparco/puma shoe, Comfortable/ stylish!!!

Old 10-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by gtdream
Piloti are the best driving shoes there are. Sparco racing makes a very nice pair also. I use the sparco/puma shoe, Comfortable/ stylish!!!
Yeah, too bad they don't make them for the well hung individual's I need 14 and it appears they only make them up to 13....

Those Italian's always make thing's too small, including their cars...

Old 10-15-2003, 12:50 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Guys, I have a pair of pilotis and never wear them now. Get a pair of Diadora's. They are kangaroo, weigh nothing, and are incredibly responsive and comfortable. A little expensive but you own a TT.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (34.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is infamous around these parts
piloti vs addidas vs. simpson/driving shoes

for track use I think the pilot are bit wide. I prefer the narrow toe offered by a racing shoe. As for regular spirited drives, they work as well as sneakers-(more of a marketing approach in my opinion) I loved the piloti's when I took the driving school in the snow.!!

Old 10-15-2003, 01:28 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
Ken,

I bought a pair of Pilotis and do not like them at all...way too thick a sole to get proper feel and, as mentioned above, a little wide and clumsy. I went back to boat shoes for spirited road work...and real driving shoes (racing) when the need arises.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
I wear a pair of Piloti Monaco shoes when driving the street car. They have Nomex liners and are nimble enough for the 3 pedal balet. They also have enough of a sole and arch support that they are comfortable for walking and standing in. The Sparcos, Simpsons, and Alpinestars are great for dedicated track use and have much better pedal feel than the Pilotis. However they have a thinner sole and do not offer any arch support and can get uncomfortable when walking and standing. If looking for something less sneaker like... I recently got a pair of Tod's with a rolled heel that have proven to be excellent when driving the Pcar.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:47 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
The wide comment is understandable but to be honest, after going to the track this past weekend with the MINI, I purposely wore some wide soled shoes and heel and toeing (side to siding if you will) was an absolute breeze!!

Old 10-15-2003, 01:53 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I think the Puma lightweight sneakers are the best driving shoes (even though they are not intended for driving per se)....
Sparc and Puma used to make a line of racing shoes but dont anymore...Puma still makes them but they are not fireproof!!
http://motorsport.puma.com/products.jsp?id=32
And the light ones im talking about http://store.puma.com/Product.pasp?t...uctID=18012212

Old 10-15-2003, 02:00 PM
RufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really niceRufMD is just really nice
Cole Haan makes these leather deck shoes with rubber studs (even on the heel)....look like mocassins....obviously for street only

they are really comfortable driving shoes with great tactile feedback

Old 10-15-2003, 02:10 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
kevin beard at piloti is seeking financing if anyone of you rich guys wants to own part of it. Kevin Beard [kbeard@piloti.com]

the key to piloti's is you can stand around in them and your back doesnt hurt, besides the driving and nomex aspect.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:13 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by watt
kevin beard at piloti is seeking financing if anyone of you rich guys wants to own part of it. Kevin Beard [kbeard@piloti.com]

the key to piloti's is you can stand around in them and your back doesnt hurt, besides the driving and nomex aspect.
Watt you got baller-sized-connections being in LA. Can't you get a shoot out to happen on like Super Tuner TV or High-Rev Tuners. We'll do ground effects too

Sorry to change the subject.

PS Sux the whole thing isn't happening. Stephen/Kevin and I were so looking forward to it

Old 10-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by watt

Exactly!!! The dedicated track shoes are great in the car, but you would not want to wear them when walking around the paddock. The sole is entirely to thin and they lack support for a full day of use.

BTDT...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody have, use or know about Driving Shoes