996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo MS Diverter Valves, use or stick with 710N?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Evo MS Diverter Valves, use or stick with 710N?

I just had my diverter valves replaced under CPO.

I received a set of EvoMS Diverter valves from a buddy in trade for some other parts he needed.

I was going to disassemble them and re-lube them with the same Redline grease that EvoMS uses, but before I do that I need to be sure I want to use them.

For those of you with them, do you notice any of the performance characteristics that EvoMS boasts on their site? "Our custom wound piston spring is designed to react quicker than the OEM unit for quicker boost response and more power. The EVO valve comes with a LIFETIME Warranty."

I am not sure if that warranty will follow the hardware or the original owner. I haven't dealt with warranty on an EVO MS product yet.

That being said... I'll either have a set of EvoMS valves or low mileage 710N's up for sale in the next several weeks. I wanted thoughts on whether the swap is worth it or not, it looks like a real PITA.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Simi_996 will become famous soon enoughSimi_996 will become famous soon enough
I've done some research on this and I believe there are a couple of vendors that will advise to keep the 710Ns in your car. While the aftermarket diverters look nicer and have a lifetime warranty, I was told that they do fail and that you must periodically lube them. I think I even read somewhere that one member had the valves unscrew/loosen over time causing a boost leak or codes thrown. Had I received this information early, I would've replaced mine with the 710Ns, but it is too late and I will live with my aftermarket diverter valves until they fail. The aftermarket ones are more expensive, so they will make you more money in the secondary market.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the bosch in my modded turbo coupe and the evoms units in my otherwise stock cab, no complaints either way.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
daytrip00 is on a distinguished road
Basically, all the DV's are wear items and must be replaced periodically (every several years). The rubber in the diaphragm or the plastic casing will degrade over time eventually causing the DV's to go bad. For peace of mind, I'd bet the 710N's are fine. They've got better fitment than all the aftermarket ones and are probably just as reliable. It's a pretty simple job to fix them once they go bad anyway. I've got them on my car and they replaced aftermarket ones that were leaking a bit.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
I remember that many years ago the aftermarket billet-type DV's (such as EVOMS, Forge, Bailey's) were very popular, and now most people seem to like the 710N's. Everyone seems to agree that these choices are better than the stock DV's, which have a reported higher incidence of torn/disintegrating diaphragms with debris getting sucked into the turbos. I have Forge DV's which are considerably larger than the stock units, and combined with the larger silicone F-hose, made working in that tight space even tighter.

If the 710N's are already in, I would keep them in. If not, the 710N's would be a bit easier to install since they are the exact same size as the stock units. I would consider replacing the stock F-hose with a silicone one if you are changing out the DV's, if you haven't already done so earlier.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I've run a blow off valve for years on two different turbos. No issues what so ever. Not sure if it needs to be greased. Sounds like its working fine

Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 AM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Both are hit or miss at times. 710n's can blow diaphrams, but billet aftermarkets can stick(open or closed) I've had both fail before. Personally I stick with the 710n bits. Common VAG part that's stocked everywhere in the event one fails on the road and can be changed out with little roadside fuss.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the input!

Since the 710's are already in, I'm going to stick with them.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Thanks for all the input!

Since the 710's are already in, I'm going to stick with them.

Wise move...semper fi...