996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suggestions on a good garage car lift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Suggestions on a good garage car lift?

I'm looking for ideas on a car lift for my home garage, but not sure what works well with the 996TT. Some of the bars that swing out under the car do not fit under my car. Drive up ramp/lift makes it difficult if you have to remove your rear wheels to work on things. I don't think it is possible to use floor jacks to drop an engine. So...Any suggestions on a lift of some sort that may work? Thanks for any info and please post links if possible.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:01 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You might have better luck on the 6Speed garage forum...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum-61/

Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM
waymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the roughwaymegelli is a jewel in the rough
I don't have one yet, but I've been considering this http://maxjaxusa.com/
It seems to be one of very few options for normal ceiling heights.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by waymegelli
I don't have one yet, but I've been considering this http://maxjaxusa.com/
It seems to be one of very few options for normal ceiling heights.
There are a couple of members using the maxjax, i've been considering one for quite sometime as well

Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
My new garage will be done in about a month or so and I am using this one...

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...atpk-oh10x.htm

Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
That MaxJax seems like what I'm looking for, but would probably want it bolted down into the concrete to be safe. Looks like it could tip. It also seems to have a little less thickness on the underside supports, so I'm sure it could fit under my low car. That gregsmith one looks just like one I could not get under my car. Check how thick those lower supports are. The one I tried also was to wide to swing beneath my front and rear wheels. It probably is not the same jack, but looks a lot like it. I would have to call and get the dimensions to be sure. Those are what I'm looking for. That mobile one may be exactly what I need. Anyone ever hear of one tipping? I'm just thinking about how hard I wrench on things at times. I had a car fall on me once and nearly killed me. Now I'm super safe! Those are great prices too

Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I chose that Geg Smith lift because it is 10,000lb rated, (it will hold my Duramax) and it is almost 10' between posts (can open both doors if I have to) and it is 7' tall underneath (not too low), minimum arm height is 4"...that's pretty low...

Atlas OH-10X SpecificationsCapacity10,000 LB.
Lifting Time Ask Your Salesperson
Overall Height 151 ½" (12' 7 ½")
Padded Bar Height 144" (12')
Overall Floor Width 143 3/8" (11' 11 3/8")
Outside Column to Outside Column 135 7/8" (11' 3 7/8")
Maximum Lift Height (With Adapters) 84" (7')
Minimum Arm Height 4"
Inside Column 117 ½" (9' 9 ½")
Column Size 11" x 9 1/8"
Column Thickness of Steel.1875"
Drive Thru 106 1/8"
Base Of Lift 18 ½” x 21 ½”
Cable Diamter .375"
Motor/Electrical Requirement 2HP, 220 volt single (1) phase
A 30 amp breaker is recommended
Click here to read more... Shipping Weight1,665 LBS.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Also went the greg smith route. Got the jack with it that can lift either the front or rear of the car. Not as convenient as a two post but better for storage.

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Minimum pad height is important if you have a car with low clearance. I had a Bend Pak XP-10ACX. Great lift - could lift everything I owned but was a lot of monkey business with 2 bys to get car high enough for arms to go under.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by powderjay
Also went the greg smith route. Got the jack with it that can lift either the front or rear of the car. Not as convenient as a two post but better for storage.

Is the 4 post (with the jack) handy? I am planning on getting one of those too.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I like it. It's come in handy for brake work on a couple of my vehicles, as well as using it for wheel swaps.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Is the 4 post (with the jack) handy? I am planning on getting one of those too.
If a 4 post is your only lift and you plan on doing any work that requires removing a tire having the jacking tray or the bridge jack is a must.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
If a 4 post is your only lift and you plan on doing any work that requires removing a tire having the jacking tray or the bridge jack is a must.

Do you have one Eric?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Do you have one Eric?
Just sold my storage unit along with 2 four post lifts and a two post lift. In the process of ordering two four post and a two post for the house.

It is near impossible to get a jack under the car properly and safely to get a tire off on a four post with out the jack tray or a bridge jack.

I really like having a two post for doing work on the car.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Just sold my storage unit along with 2 four post lifts and a two post lift. In the process of ordering two four post and a two post for the house.

It is near impossible to get a jack under the car properly and safely to get a tire off on a four post with out the jack tray or a bridge jack.

I really like having a two post for doing work on the car.
Right. I plan to buy the 2 post I listed above AND a 4 post with the jack once my garage here at the house is done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on a good garage car lift?