996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,,I hate to say that you are wrong BUT I am SORRY to say that you are.....BECAUSE...My old EPL tune dropped and kept dropping after 6200RPM, where as my new Protomotive tune actually started to rise then AND keep going up all the way to redline where I made my peak HP also...There was almost a 60 HP difference between the 2 at redline...The sheet comparision is on another thread....That upper end HP makes a big difference in pulling power.....Also Todd has had no problems with that redline with his tunes,,as he has built many motors....Just my results for your info....
My post wasn't meant to be malicious, even though you clearly took it that way. I never saw your dyno sheet and it really doesn't matter because my point was and still is: you are not doing your stock engine any favors revving past 7000rpms, and there are many, many, many threads on this... but I didn't know you had a built engine, so this is a moot point for you.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Meeyatch1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I appreciate all of the feedback so far. A wealth of knowledge and experience here that I am grateful for.

From what I have gathered, reaching 200 mph in the Texas Mile can surely be done, it just takes a heavy degree of modification. Are most of the modifications required to do this bolt on and go applications, or are we talking about top to bottom internal engine builds?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I appreciate all of the feedback so far. A wealth of knowledge and experience here that I am grateful for.

From what I have gathered, reaching 200 mph in the Texas Mile can surely be done, it just takes a heavy degree of modification. Are most of the modifications required to do this bolt on and go applications, or are we talking about top to bottom internal engine builds?
Ben (bmoores) and I have both gone over 200mph at the TX Mile with just bolt ons. So it can be done without getting into the engine.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I think it's fair to say that you need to be able to trap at least 135 in the 1/4 mile to be able to get to 200 in a mile...

Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Yeah stock is a bit of a problem, lots of floating. However pss10's and you are good to go. Car is solid but I worry about other things, tyres, birds etc.
Did anyone notice the car phone in first pic? I had no idea they where still made.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Yeah stock is a bit of a problem, lots of floating. However pss10's and you are good to go. Car is solid but I worry about other things, tyres, birds etc.
WWOOOOWWW Terminator at what mph were you going when that bird crash your windshield ?? Did you have any problem at the moment it happened ??

It's incredible all that bird did to your car.....very dangerous moment going really fast.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rdss
WWOOOOWWW Terminator at what mph were you going when that bird crash your windshield ?? Did you have any problem at the moment it happened ??

It's incredible all that bird did to your car.....very dangerous moment going really fast.
Huh mate not my car. Someone emailed me the pics so I thought I would share. Apparently this happened at 150mph.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Huh mate not my car. Someone emailed me the pics so I thought I would share. Apparently this happened at 150mph.
Glad it wasn't you ,but at that speed anyone can have an accident

Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MBailey
It takes only around 400-425whp to get an absolute top speed of 200mph.
then howcome a zr1 needs 640 HP to reach 200 and ZO6 needs 505 for 195mph?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by mikegr
Gearing...Vette gearing blows...

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 AM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
this is also an itch ive been getting. Do you guys think A28s could get the job done for 200mph/mile?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
this is also an itch ive been getting. Do you guys think A28s could get the job done for 200mph/mile?

Hmmmm...ask mbailey..

(Sorry Mike...I had too...)

Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 AM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
if his setup couldnt/didnt do it, mine definitely wont.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
No what I am saying is that at 6,750 rpm the rev limiter kicks in whatever your bhp and stops you reaching true 200 mph. Depending on what true speed is (let’s say 190 mph) by raising the limiter by 500 rpm you gain another 12 mph and you are just good to go – by 2mph. (true that is). My rev limiter is stock and I pull 203 mph regularly according to the speedo.
Tire height changes gearing. The tire grow at those speeds also. Neither of those will show on your speedo unless it was calibrated for the taller tires.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegr
Originally Posted by ttboost
Gearing...Vette gearing blows...
PM AtomicZ about this. He can tell you all about Vette gearing. I'm fairly certain he has aftermarket gearing in his Z06 that is the fastest or one of the fastest N/A Z06's at the mile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?