996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:13 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I tend to agree with the weight part...Within reason, I think a little weight is good in that the "momentum" of the weight "pushes" you through the wall of air.

Aerodynamics is the most important....a vehicle with less power, but more slippery, will slice through better than a higher powered shoebox...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bmoores
You asked if an M6 had ran the mile, I was just answering your question. The number of cars that can hit 200mph on the Autobahn is greater than the IQ of half the people who have posted in this thread.
Actually i haven't asked that....

Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I know this questions may seem odd, but I have a dream in my life to own and drive a car at over 200 mph, and have tentatively settled on the 996 Twin Turbo as the best platform for that. Why? Having previously had a standard 993 Carrera 4, I was impressed with how stable it was at 180 mph, and figured that the 996 platform should be equally stable, but with more 'kick' courtesy of the twin turbos. Do people really need a car that fast? Probably not....but I do.

As I understand it, the 996 Twin Turbo in stock form is capable of somewhere in the 186 - 192 mph range. What would be the recommended path to getting the top speed around 205 - 210 mph? Are there any non-power making parts that are recommended to keep the car running cool with the increased power? What about suspension or aero related pieces?

I appreciate any assistance, and recommendations to parts or shops that members here have used with success.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$HP =95%
Talent behind the wheel = 5%

Sorry couldn't resist guys

Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$HP =95%
Talent behind the wheel = 5%

Sorry couldn't resist guys
Is this a jab at the straight line guys or just an observation?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Is this a jab at the straight line guys or just an observation?

Sorry just being a wise ***... Nothing more.. I have respect for anyone who can do 200 in a car.. Thats MOVING!!!

All joking aside - safety should be paramount for anyone driving at anywhere near those speeds..

Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Sorry just being a wise ***... Nothing more.. I have respect for anyone who can do 200 in a car.. Thats MOVING!!!

All joking aside - safety should be paramount for anyone driving at anywhere near those speeds..
I agree about the safety. Safety equipment was the first thing I added to my Z06 when I started to do road courses. I've ran Road America and VIR and would not want to go off in a few places without all the proper safety gear.

As far as the mile goes - going over 200 without it is just plain nuts.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
As far as the mile goes - going over 200 without it is just plain nuts.
exactly. Thats why i hope to pick up some safety stuffs next week. I hope to run the mile next year. hell, even going off at 150 or so could be bad without safety equipment

Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Is this where I can be proud to claim that I may have the lowest hp car that went 200 in the mile. Driver mod?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bmoores
Is this where I can be proud to claim that I may have the lowest hp car that went 200 in the mile. Driver mod?
sure, whats your power and weight? im looking more and more forward to my hopeful trip to the Mile.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I know that my car starts to get real squirrelly above 170....the front end on the GT2 is just too light to be safe at 200 plus.

So it is definitely more than 5%, it is 50% ***** at those speeds. And those who think straight line driving takes no skill (usually they are the guys in the sub 300 whp track cars) they are wrong. Look at the best roll on guy, SW. He also smokes everyone on the road course as well.

Ben, you were rwd conversion, yes? The front end must have been pretty scary at 200, I know Eric said 206 was insane. The fastest I ever hit in my car was 190 and it was no joke.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I was making 630whp at the mile. Car weighs 3250 with rwd conversion.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
i still dont get what the importance is of doing 200mph in a Porsche. I with Fabryce on this. Porsches are track cars, thats were the skill is

Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 AM
It's all in fun for me. I've got a couple thousand laps under my belt on the road course. The straight line stuff is still pretty fun too though.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I know that my car starts to get real squirrelly above 170....the front end on the GT2 is just too light to be safe at 200 plus.

So it is definitely more than 5%, it is 50% ***** at those speeds. And those who think straight line driving takes no skill (usually they are the guys in the sub 300 whp track cars) they are wrong. Look at the best roll on guy, SW. He also smokes everyone on the road course as well.

Ben, you were rwd conversion, yes? The front end must have been pretty scary at 200, I know Eric said 206 was insane. The fastest I ever hit in my car was 190 and it was no joke.
I used every inch of the runway to keep the car headed the right direction at the big end and had to take the turn a little hot on the 206 run. GT2 with stock suspension with a crosswind hitting 206 was the wildest ride of my life. These cars get pretty light in the front above 160. If I ever run the GT2 down the mile again I'd swap a turbo decklid on it.

The Z06 at 205 is rock solid and the TTG is like cruising down the interstate at those speeds.

Originally Posted by Christian
i still dont get what the importance is of doing 200mph in a Porsche. I with Fabryce on this. Porsches are track cars, thats were the skill is
I've done both and I am truly a road course junkie. I also think if you get the chance you should try to pilot a Porshce over 200 at the mile. It is not as easy as it seems.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:34 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
My car with stock suspension always felt stable all the way up to the 190mph that I have gotten it up to so far.....Good road,good balanced tires AND maybe good luck with my guardian angel which I hope holds up to 200mph.....lol....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?