996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How 'Sleeper' is the Aero Wing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:58 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
How 'Sleeper' is the Aero Wing?

I'm getting ****ed off beyond belief with the rear wing on my car, so I'm looking into various fixes for it

One option is to remove the hydraulic system and lock the wing into position
The other option is to fit a factory aero wing

I like the look of the standard wing as I like subtle and sleeper
Todd and Kevin's cars are perfect examples IMHO

The problem I have with locking the stock wing is that I don't like bodging things, and I believe if something if fitted to the car it should function as intended

So, I'm thinking about an Aero wing
But, I think it might look a little too racey for my car

Don't get me wrong, I love the aero wing, it's just I'm not sure it would suit the look/style of my car

Can the aero wing look subtle as the factory wing does, or is it too racey looking for me?

Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
If you want to maintain a subtle look, fixing the stock wing the extended position is a pretty good solution.

When I decided to replace my hydraulics with a fixed wing, I decided that I needed to get a different wing (went with the Misha GT2 Add-On wing). However, I got the extended fixed wing kit first and installed it with the stock wing before my Misha wing arrived and was ready to be painted. Truth be told, I was pretty happy with how the stock wing looked in the fixed extended position -- and might have held off on the GT2 Add-On wing if I hadn't already ordered it. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the new wing -- but I was surprised at how good the stock wing looked in the extended position all the time.

Since doing the extended fixed stock wing is MUCH cheaper than the factor aero wing -- I would try that first and see if you like it. You could always spend the big bucks later to go with the aero kit if you still want.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I had a leaky ram and a stuck spoiler motor. I just repaired them and three years later they still work fine.
I fixed the motor by connecting it to a battery charger and running the worm gear down to the bottom, then jammed a rod down the cylinders to break free the plungers(fixed that problem). I then refilled the motor with half pentosin and half Lucas power steering stop leak. It took a little trial and error as running 100 percent Lucas was too thick and slowed the motor down too much. But a 50/50 mix seems to work well.
It didnt stop leaking right away it took a little time for the stop leak to make the seal swell enough to stop it. It even says it will take time on the bottle and might require a refill to permanently stop it. As I said three years later and it still works perfectly, no dash lights or anything.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I've filled mine with leak stop, but to no avail

Leak stop works by swelling the rubber seals (so I've heard)
But our rams don't have any seals

I've topped mine up a few times but it hasn't helped

My wing doesn't extend fully at present
It won't always work manually
The top micro switch won't stay in place
And it throws warning lights all the time

I'm uncertain if it won't fully extend due to the rams leaking, or due to the upper micro switch not staying in place

I taped-up the switch to keep it in its holder (just to test it) but it didn't seem to help

Hmmmm

Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Love my Factory AERO wing and matching front spoiler. Makes the a$$ even wider and lower. It's how it was supposed to look in the first place ( before the paper pushers got hold of the budget at Porsche) :-).

Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear that. I've always been partially to gt2 wings, but it's not very sleeper

Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks
My motor is perfect, but both rams are leaking
I've been 'fixing' them for months, but they keep leaking

I'm not sure if the error light is due to a lower level of fluid or the poorly fitting micro switch

Is there any way to find out?

Yep, I do like the GT2 wing, but I'd only ever put one on a GT2
I'm thinking the aero wing is a nice middle ground
Still not sure if it fits the theme of my car though?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
jgood will become famous soon enough
Aero wing looks great on the car.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
The error lights are caused by the micro switches on the passenger side ram. I actually zip tied mine down as one switch had an issue with staying in place. Easy to check they just push in and pull out. You can check to make sure there not bent or making false contacts.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Darth GF is on a distinguished road
Just curious, does anyone have a pic of the aero wing?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
I just saw a guy w the factory aero wing ( and front ) on his tt and I kept staring as if staring would make me like it. I didn't at all. I think it looks cheesy, personally. To each his own.

To me, the gt2 wing and front end on the other hand is about as good as it gets. Again, personal pref I suppose, but next time my spoiler goes it will be gt2 or strosek or something. Not switching out all those hydraulics....again...

Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I love the aero wing and really wanted one for my car. People selling them want an arm and a leg for them. I was trying to purchase one off a member here who already had a GT2 wing and he wouldnt let it go for for $2,000+....I then decided to spend 1/4 of that on the Strosek wing, swapped my micro chip and looove the decision I made. I love the *** of the car when the wing is in the down position and its great to know that at 75 or when running away from someone they get to watch my wing raise. Must be cool for those who don't expect it.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I love the aero wing and really wanted one for my car. People selling them want an arm and a leg for them. I was trying to purchase one off a member here who already had a GT2 wing and he wouldnt let it go for for $2,000+....I then decided to spend 1/4 of that on the Strosek wing, swapped my micro chip and looove the decision I made. I love the *** of the car when the wing is in the down position and its great to know that at 75 or when running away from someone they get to watch my wing raise. Must be cool for those who don't expect it.
Are you saying all you had to do was switch out one of the micro switches to "fix" your spoiler trouble? Most aren't that simple as you know. I also really like the strosek look down and yeah.. Having that sh*t work as it was designed is best. I agree also.. Its a great look seeing our spoilers deploy at speed. I don't have that view very often. Thankfully.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM
All I really want is for the stock spoiler to work correctly - but the design is an abortion!!

If I can't think of a way to improve on it's workings I'm thinking I'll throw an aero wing on

Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
cjaz is on a distinguished road
I love my aero kit. I was specifically looking for that when I bought mine. It seems somewhat rare when it comes to these cars, and I personally like it alot more than the GT2 wing. It's also super light. If you get one I would also get the front spoiler that goes with it. I believe they are meant to work together.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How 'Sleeper' is the Aero Wing?