996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Trouble passing California Smog... help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I did do the crazy slow drive twice and followed the spec for readiness. If it is not the cats, then the tune must be bad?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
daytrip00 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
I did do the crazy slow drive twice and followed the spec for readiness. If it is not the cats, then the tune must be bad?
That seems to be sound reasoning. You could "manually" test your cats by having a shop do an sniff test on your cats. They should be able to do this without sending the results to the dmv. I've heard running rich can use up the catalyst in the cats. I know my tune idles really rich, so i suspect i'll only get a few years out of my cats.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I'll swing by my Indy in the morning and have him do a sniff test on my cats.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 AM
raidentech can only hope to improve
Maybe the flash. Try to flash back to stock

Old 01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
What tune? Did you inquire into the issue Tony had commented upon above?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Having same problems in my car now. The exhaust sniff passed fine but the ecu was not ready and the tech couldn't tell me which ones or how many. I have an older EPL flash and a new Speedtech 3.9 with 100cel cats. This flash passed with my old Miltek two years ago. I have had some work done to the car several months ago which required battery disconnection.

I'll try the readiness drive on this post a few times. Once I do that will those codes go to ready and store that way or does this drive need to happen every time before trying to get it smogged? Can I find these ready codes with simple OBD2 reader?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
I can't specifically speak to the 996TT with the tune, but I have a Dodge Cummins Diesel which now requires bi-annual smog checks in Cali. I am running a piggyback chip and run about 40+ PSI at the turbo. At high altitude and full throttle, I can set off the overboost code on the truck. This happened last time, just before I smogged it. I removed the piggyback chip and returned the boost controller to stock. I then reset all my codes with my scan tool (removing the overboost code, which was stored, but not showing in a CEL). When I went to test, the first time, I could not pass readiness as there had not been enough engine crank cycles to verify the code was not still present. About 25 crank cycles later, all was well and readiness was extinguished. On my OBD II scanner, it was showing up as a yellow light for emissions readiness.

ETCHead, I'm back in town on tuesday and live on the peninsula, if you want to try and put my OBDII scanner on the car. If you want to try it, pm me with your contact info.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I didn't do any readiness drive. I just drove to the smog tech - maybe 15 minutes and passed. Seems odd to me that you guys are finding you need to drive for so long?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I didn't do any readiness drive. I just drove to the smog tech - maybe 15 minutes and passed. Seems odd to me that you guys are finding you need to drive for so long?
this thread is 6 months old...

WHO are you responding to? And what id you do to your car prior to smog? If nothing, then it isnt surprising you didnt do any readiness drives- the normal use of a car will set the readiness indicators. it is only after you reset the OBD codes that you must set the readiness indicators, sometimes with a specific drive if you are trying to get it done- otherwise just normal driving does it...

Old 07-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ard
this thread is 6 months old...

WHO are you responding to? And what id you do to your car prior to smog? If nothing, then it isnt surprising you didnt do any readiness drives- the normal use of a car will set the readiness indicators. it is only after you reset the OBD codes that you must set the readiness indicators, sometimes with a specific drive if you are trying to get it done- otherwise just normal driving does it...
I was responding to Etchhead who posted today as well. The two above me revived the thread.