996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My new custom shift knob :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Charsiu will become famous soon enoughCharsiu will become famous soon enough
My new custom shift **** :)

BIG thanks to Chris from WC Lathe Works!
He made me one custom shift **** specially design for 996 and 997 shifter application!
Coming from the world of STi and E46 M3, it is easy to find a heavy shift **** that bolt just right on.
When I first go my 996tt, I always wish my shift **** can be heavier.
But none of the aftermarket **** provide enough weight and the shape that I really want.
Thanks to Chris, I now can finally enjoy a smooth shifting with this new heavy baby.

Meet my new Stainless Steel **** that weight over 550g (1.2lb) !
(sorry for the crappy cell-phone quality pictures)

The installation is very easy, just like any other aftermarket shift *****.
You remove your stock one (I have to cut mine, since it was the once piece design), and just put the new shift **** on and secured it with the screws.

The custom **** has a specially collar that screw on to the shifter rod. And you can then, put the shift **** on.

Finally !

My shifting now went a lot smoother. I always love the heavy shift **** feeling, the extra weight makes shifting more secured and promising, not to mention buttery smooth as well.
This **** does not rattle, nor does it make any noise.
It feel solid, weighted, and cold

The only downside I can see right now is, it gonna be cooking hot on a sunny day.

I went with Satin Bead Blasted finish (which is like a brushed aluminum finish) on my ****.
There are many more options to choose from, such as titanium burnt, matte black, mirror, burnt blue, and many more!

I really love this **** so far, now I need the silver ring boot to match with the new toy

Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
8wrench is on a distinguished road
I like the look.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
looks like the techart ****, keep a sock in the glove box for those sunny days

Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
SaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really niceSaMaS is just really nice
very nice ! looks great !

Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
"BBQ pork" =) ... Looks nice, any other shapes?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
For reference, techart ****, sorry I lack a close up.

Bought off a 6speeder here second hand about 4 or 5 years ago....only issue with these ***** for the group is in the summer if you car is in direct sun....ouch.

Rennline has a nice one now too.

The techart has the gate pattern etched nicely on top....it is a nice touch. Afraid to ask what retail on a techart would be....

What you've done is super and it would be cool to have a customizable extension so you could, for DE for example, perhaps make it longer to have it closer to the wheel like a cup car....just a thought. Very cool, very.

JB

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-11-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Charsiu will become famous soon enoughCharsiu will become famous soon enough
Yes, WC Lathe Works has more custom shape, style and material (titanium, stainless steel, aluminum, leather, etc etc) and Chris should able to make the right size and shape you guys want as long as you discuss with him.
He also does custom pattern or logo engraved for extra charge, you guys can check out his website for more information.

I've consider the Rennline **** before as well. But it is still too light (not much heavier than the stock shift ****) and I don't really like the three rubber ring.
The techart one was the one that I always wanted, but it cost too much.

I paid a little bit more than the rennline one for mine with shipping, totally a great deal Highly recommended!

Btw, I am just a customer and I have nothing to do with their business. I only share this thread because I really enjoy their products (my 3rd shift ***** from them). And quite frankly, the porsche market really lack of choices of shift *****.
I hope this thread can help you guys pick a favorite shift **** of your own !

Last edited by Charsiu; 01-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Nice to see a new option. Hopefully it will be more reasonably priced than what we have available to us today

Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM
XCUDB is a splendid one to beholdXCUDB is a splendid one to beholdXCUDB is a splendid one to beholdXCUDB is a splendid one to beholdXCUDB is a splendid one to beholdXCUDB is a splendid one to beholdXCUDB is a splendid one to behold
Man I need one that stays cool. Hot Atlanta is no fun just getting in the car. I am going to use the sock method or at least a footie! LOL.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I replaced my shift **** with the GT3 version from Suncoast. I was initially surprised at how light it was, but now that I am used to it, I really like the lighter feel. I guess you can get used to anything...

I really like the look of the OP's though.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
sorry I lack a close up.

JB
Like the **** look!! Charsiu
what kind of seats are those?

Last edited by 2muchtime; 01-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Toynbee has a spectacular aura aboutToynbee has a spectacular aura about
I like the look. I think the extra weight would be of benefit as well. I had the X-97 shifter in my RS 60 Boxster. I kept a microfiber cloth in the door compartment for sunglass cleaning and hand protection. I used it very frequently during the summer in PHX.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Frankrob9216 is on a distinguished road
Could you give the contact name # to call to order one of these shift *****. Did you say 1.2 pounds?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Looks Great

Old 05-14-2012, 06:25 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet, I love it.
Would be nice to have the shift pattern engraved into it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new custom shift knob :)