996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fixed spoiler hydraulic rams w/ stop leak, little different method.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dodgypete
My sentiments exactly! It's a stupid articulating spoiler to begin with.
What harm would there be in designing and selling a simple fixed wing?
Who needs or wants a silly up/down toy spoiler?
On top of that, they make one that leaks, needing repairs costing thousands.
+1. Porsche should have just gone with the GT2 wing for the turbo, and been done with it.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
dodgypete is on a distinguished road
Same symptoms - Spoiler doesn't goes up

I don't know if this happened after a leak or concurrently with a leak.

I followed a collection of posts attempting to bleed and add stop leak, all of which failed. On a test bench with 12V battery, the rams didn't move at all.

I gave up and ordered the fixed wing kit, but since I had all of this kit in hand I decided to take it apart and see what seals are present, how it works, etc.

Much to my dismay I found that there's a large plastic block that's threaded.
The motor turns a threaded rod which moves the plastic block up and down to push the hydraulic pistons up/down in their cylinders.

Upon disassembly I found my plastic block broken into two large pieces with a few smaller sharp shards.

So, the failure is first the broken pump, then possibly a leak and/or problems with lift cylinders.

For $150 I'm making my wing a fixed wing. Screw you Porsche.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yt0EyM6.jpg
Views:	3791
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	280276  
Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !Darthvader Is a GOD !
It is a bad design which is why I went with fixed. Hate leaks.

Great idea from OP...thanks for sharing this. To late in my case.

Originally Posted by dodgypete
My sentiments exactly! It's a stupid articulating spoiler to begin with.
What harm would there be in designing and selling a simple fixed wing?
Who needs or wants a silly up/down toy spoiler?
On top of that, they make one that leaks, needing repairs costing thousands.

I'm in the process of bleeding mine now and particularly frustrated by the inconvenience.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
like many things on these cars it is a personal preference.
I had a fully functioning rear wing. I removed it and installed the fixed wing. I just prefer the looks of the wing up all the time.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
To the OP: I'm about to try this as well. What mixture Lucas/Prestone did you use, 50/50?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Yah 50/50.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Yah 50/50.
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Help Please!

OK, following your directions, I mistakenly disconnected the leads to the pump (step 3) before raising the wing after unbolting the hydraulic lines . I reconnected the leads but the wing does not move. I get the error message when I try to activate it. Checked the fuse and it's ok. Any suggestions?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ASLAN
OK, following your directions, I mistakenly disconnected the leads to the pump (step 3) before raising the wing after unbolting the hydraulic lines . I reconnected the leads but the wing does not move. I get the error message when I try to activate it. Checked the fuse and it's ok. Any suggestions?
If you can....you may want to start, and/or drive it a bit with it connected and see if it won't cycle and let you lift it?

Good luck!

DC

Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM
OK, so after my post I realized the wing is obviously not going to move with the hydraulic lines disconnected. However, there is no noise or movement coming from the pump. It jerks slightly as if it's getting power when I initially push the switch, but nothing happens. I can insert a screwdriver about one inch into the holes. Any other suggestions??

Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Tried the battery reset procedure with no luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 PM
I guess it's possible my pump happened to take a dump at the same time?!?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Just to verify the pump works or not, connect power using jumpers from the jump start terminals over the motor. This is direct 12V essentially from a power source, not from a harness, through switches, relays, fuses, etc. Momentarily connect it and it should work, either polarity.

It does sound like your pump is bound up, broken parts around the ram.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
No idea, you might have a broken pump. Take it apart if it does not move with the jumper cables.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 AM
OK, got the pump to move with a bench test battery, so I guess I will deal with the broken switch or relay after re-install. Now, however, I am wondering how much fluid the rams will suck out of the bottle? I used the method in step 5, and pumped about 10 times on each side of the wing, but the fluid level in the bottle did not seem to change. Will there be a noticeable amount being sucked up??? I used Lucas and Pentosin, but that seems like it shouldn't make a difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Fixed spoiler hydraulic rams w/ stop leak, little different method.