996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

creaking in the front end when turning steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Does it make noise from actually turning the steering wheel or from suspension movement? Anything when getting in and out of the car (on that side). Common issue is swaybar droplinks, they get a bit dried up. Stick the pipe of a lithium grease spray can inside the droplink rubber boots and spray on, this does help on that issue.

Other issue if creaking/ticking when turning a lot is the driveshaft CV joints are worn. Not so fun.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
It seems to have gone away now??? Dry or wet no noise. Not complaining but I think it was the upper strut bearing as others pointed out. I think it got locked up some how and managed to work itself back free.
All I know is if it comes back that's what I'm going to replace.
Let's hope it doesn't. Fingers crossed

Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 AM
s4gotten has a spectacular aura abouts4gotten has a spectacular aura abouts4gotten has a spectacular aura about
Hey guys, I have been experiencing the same creakin noise at low speeds, when turning the wheels, coming from the front end. It seems to be intermittent, but always seems to return. My car is 100% stock, nut has 90k on the clock. Porsche had told me, and I was assuming, it was bad front, lower control arms or the bushings. Does that sound correct, or is it more likely some other problem?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
If it creaks when you turn the wheel at slow speeds bet its the upper strut bearing. It's fifty bucks to replace. If its the lower control arm(which I doubt unless you tore the boot on the ball joint a long time ago) you can't replace the ball joint you have to replace the whole arm. Jack it up and have a look at the ball joints, you should be able to tell if there's any play there when there's no load on the suspension.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 AM
UPDATE figured out the problem...lower control arm boots were torn on both sides!! Now I need to order two lower control arms. Anybody know a good cheap vendor?

Old 12-27-2014, 09:37 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
UPDATE figured out the problem...lower control arm boots were torn on both sides!! Now I need to order two lower control arms. Anybody know a good cheap vendor?
thread resurrection AND DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN

my creaking/crunching is VERY slight, but occurs when the car is stationary, and i turn the wheels now.

i'm really just suspecting the cv boot(s) being torn, and if so, would like to catch it/replace before the cj joints themselves get damaged from lack of lubricant (?!?)

anyone.. does this sound plausible. ( 3 threads now lol )

Old 12-27-2014, 10:02 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
It's not the CV or boot if it's making the sound while stationary - unless the CV is totally busted which you would be able to visually see.

Just jack the car up and take s look at the boot/cv. Grab the axle and try and shack it. Also take s look at your drop links they can knock too. Lastly, if it's only doing it when turning slowly, it could be your tires "slipping". Because they are turning Ina different radius one wheel will "hop" which makes s weird clunk sound. Because of my 275 r888s on the front I get it in cold garages. As soon as I get heat in the tires it goes.

My bet is that it's your shocks/top mount. One way you can check and stip the noise of a little bit is to spray lithium grease into the mount and spring perch. This made mine quite for a couple of weeks but then it got loud again.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LQQK
It's not the CV or boot if it's making the sound while stationary - unless the CV is totally busted which you would be able to visually see.

My bet is that it's your shocks/top mount. One way you can check and stip the noise of a little bit is to spray lithium grease into the mount and spring perch. This made mine quite for a couple of weeks but then it got loud again.
yes, thanks. waiting on floor jack/help etc. not tire noise, for certain and i need to get a visual absolutely. i can't rule out the cv boots though since I've had this happen before. but others are suggesting top mounts etc also. thanks. it's not a squeak..it's more of a rubber binding sound. only time I've heard similar was torn boots. all i have to do is get under it, but as i wait for help, i'll make myself nuts speculating. this has to have happened to countless others, as its just something "worn" out and in beginning stage(s) of failing.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
def is the top mount then...

Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I had a creaking in the front end that I thought was the upper mount, but it turned out to be the ball joint in the lower control arm. It appears that a previous owner had used a pickle fork to disassemble the front end (when installing the PSS10's). All the boots on the ball joints in the lower control arms and tie rod ends had a cut in them.

I sprayed a little lube in the the lower ball joints and the noise whet away for several days. This is how I verified it was the lower ball joint. Though there was some play in the tie rod ends, there was not play in the lower ball joint and the noise would go away if you jacked up the car.

BTW I replaced the tie rod ends and lower control arms with GT3 control arms with monoball ends and thrust arm bushing kits. For those that are interesting, I haven't notice any really increase in NVH's with this setup.

Later, Steve

Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
def is the top mount then...
thanks, beginning with those.

Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
I had a creaking in the front end that I thought was the upper mount, but it turned out to be the ball joint in the lower control arm. It appears that a previous owner had used a pickle fork to disassemble the front end (when installing the PSS10's). All the boots on the ball joints in the lower control arms and tie rod ends had a cut in them.

I sprayed a little lube in the the lower ball joints and the noise whet away for several days. This is how I verified it was the lower ball joint. Though there was some play in the tie rod ends, there was not play in the lower ball joint and the noise would go away if you jacked up the car.

BTW I replaced the tie rod ends and lower control arms with GT3 control arms with monoball ends and thrust arm bushing kits. For those that are interesting, I haven't notice any really increase in NVH's with this setup.

Later, Steve
thx for the input as well. i'm going to negotiate that road of upgrades as needs require. I'm certainly not going to go backwards, but have never felt anything to be lacking so as much of my current setup as i can, i'll leave/renew as is and if that means staying with the oem top mounts, i'll live.. gt3 lca's, and 2/3 uprights and all that stuff may be in my future, but just not immediate.