996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt real world ?s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Gillespie81 is on a distinguished road
996tt real world ?s

Sold my 05 Silverado Duramax and now I'm looking into buying a 996tt in the next month or so, if find the right one to pop up. i have driven the car before but it was more performance/handling driving. i live in Arizona and will be moving to Minnesota next year. this car will be my daily driver.
Now my ?s are: for the people that live in warm areas that use the A/C, how well does the A/C blow. does it cool the car down quickly and keep it cool. do you always have to keep it on the highest setting.
same thing for when i move to Minnesota for the heater. how good is it.
my other ?s were can you put car seats in the back but i did a lot of looking on that one. my wife has a Sequoia so i won't have the kids in the car all the time.
thanks for anyone that can chime in.
i had another ? but i forgot while typing this..

Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 AM
reubenk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gillespie81
Sold my 05 Silverado Duramax and now I'm looking into buying a 996tt in the next month or so, if find the right one to pop up. i have driven the car before but it was more performance/handling driving. i live in Arizona and will be moving to Minnesota next year. this car will be my daily driver.
Now my ?s are: for the people that live in warm areas that use the A/C, how well does the A/C blow. does it cool the car down quickly and keep it cool. do you always have to keep it on the highest setting.
same thing for when i move to Minnesota for the heater. how good is it.
my other ?s were can you put car seats in the back but i did a lot of looking on that one. my wife has a Sequoia so i won't have the kids in the car all the time.
thanks for anyone that can chime in.
i had another ? but i forgot while typing this..
I've had various 996's (turbo and NA) in GA and CT. not quite as hot or as cold as AZ or MN but the climate control was plenty good enough for both climates without being maxed out. really only goes to max when you are first warming up.

the back seats are too narrow for most car seats. I found a recaro model booster type seat that is made for bucket seats (very narrow bottom) but it's not the strapped in / latch type seat. works fine for my 4-6 yr olds but you have to move the front seat up a little so they have *some* leg room.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by reubenk
I've had various 996's (turbo and NA) in GA and CT. not quite as hot or as cold as AZ or MN but the climate control was plenty good enough for both climates without being maxed out. really only goes to max when you are first warming up.

the back seats are too narrow for most car seats. I found a recaro model booster type seat that is made for bucket seats (very narrow bottom) but it's not the strapped in / latch type seat. works fine for my 4-6 yr olds but you have to move the front seat up a little so they have *some* leg room.

Thanks for the info. My son is 2 and my daughter is 9, but like i said i wont have them in the car all the time. So i guess ill just have to find a seat that works. Good to hear about the climate control too, i hate being in a car that takes 20-30min to cool the car down or heat up. My truck would cool down in 5 min and maintain it on the lowest setting. I cant wait to get the car and have some fun with it and take the kids out on a enjoyable drive.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
You need another car for your kids. My advice is to get a moderately priced SUV and drive the Porsche when alone and when the weather is good. The TT is 4 wheel drive, but I would still not have it for a daily in MN.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
I live in Texas and the AC works great. Agree with the other posters the back seats are not meant for people....well not normal sized people anyway.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't put anything I love in the back seat...wait, honey, want to go for a ride.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
like i said above they are not going to be in it all the time just to drop my son off at day care and pick him up after work. my daughter can ride in the front seat if i need both of them. 95% of the time they are in the Sequoia. i have a 98 camaro z28 that they ride in so they are used to a coupe style car, but i am gutting it out and making a drag car with it. i just want something fun and enjoyable to drive all the time in all climates.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Darth GF is on a distinguished road
Both my 4 and 5 year old sons love to ride in the TT. I have a Volvo XC60 that's the main family car, but if asked, they much prefer to ride in the Porsche.I read about that on forums before buying and I must say it's true, kids love it!

There is enough room back there for kids up to 10-12yo. By then, following the recent trend with the 991, the new 911 (992?) will be big enough for 4 adults...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gillespie81
Thanks for the info. My son is 2 and my daughter is 9, but like i said i wont have them in the car all the time. So i guess ill just have to find a seat that works. Good to hear about the climate control too, i hate being in a car that takes 20-30min to cool the car down or heat up. My truck would cool down in 5 min and maintain it on the lowest setting. I cant wait to get the car and have some fun with it and take the kids out on a enjoyable drive.
Your 9 yr old should be fine. I think recaro makes an actual child restraint type seat that will fit for the 2 yr old. There was a Porsche branded one out for a while also. the back seats flip down and the shoulder strap goes around the latch so it's probably not ideal for the permanent mount types but I think they actually have the top deck loop fasteners if I'm not mistaken so it should work if the base is narrow enough.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I think any adult that fits back there comfortably would have to be a double amputee midget with skinny hips

Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
There are indeed some car seats that fit. I believe there is a thread on here somewhere about that exact subject. Most people I talk to tell me that kids up to 12 years old are indeed fine in the back seat.

No way I would use a 996 TT as a daily driver in MN though.