996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Large Evap Leak Help Needed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM
TimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura about
Angry Large Evap Leak Help Needed...UPDATED

Guys,
This is driving me crazy...

I've been helping a friend (This is a repost from another site) for me. with his 2002 TT and a very frustrating (intermittent!!) P0455 DME code. He needs to get through emissions inspection, in AZ they just connect to the OBDII port and the system won't show a "ready" state so it will fail.

We've seen several references to what the problem could be, just trying to narrow it down. We have the DME manual, shop manual (I thought it was complete) and completed a lot of research on the forums. Some things that will help,

- We need a full drawing of the tank vent system with the location of components; where is it in the manuals?
- References online indicate the simplified system for detection is as the attached. Where is the pressure sensor "5" located at? We've looked around the tank and the evac canister, doesn't appear to be anywhere near.
-We hear some kind of pump that comes on with the ignition, is that part of the evac system, where is it?
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TimAZ; 06-10-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Update title...
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Have you checked the gas cap? I had the same code, checked the cap and sure enough the rubber oring on the inside of the cap had dried out and cracked. Replaced the cap and the code hasn't come back.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I would say check the gas cap as well.

If not, check the Evap canister and all the vent tubes.

I am assuming the pump you hear come on is the fuel pump

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TimAZ
- We need a full drawing of the tank vent system with the location of components
Name:  MxEqa.png
Views: 307
Size:  87.3 KB

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM
TimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy

Thank You for the drawing, do you have the I.D. for the numbers? The gas cap has been replaced. The pump I hear is the secondary air pump. My local shop has had it on their computer and operated / tested everything to do with the evap system and it all checks good...twice...

Tim

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor
do you have the I.D. for the numbers?
Which numbers do you need?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm looking for the fuel tank pressure sensor...is that #23?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I'm looking for the fuel tank pressure sensor...is that #23?
Where is the pressure sensor?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor
The fuel pressure sensor is #9 on this illustration.

Name:  sbJxY.png
Views: 316
Size:  64.4 KB

Found here on our website.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor
Number #23 is a Fuel Tank Vapor Valve

Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Thank you, we've had a devil of a time finding this sensor's physical location, from the drawing it appears to be right by the charcoal canister. It didn't appear to be behind the wheel liner, is it buried up there under the car by the diff?
Are these drawings from the Porsche PET?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Danyol
Thank you, we've had a devil of a time finding this sensor's physical location, from the drawing it appears to be right by the charcoal canister. It didn't appear to be behind the wheel liner, is it buried up there under the car by the diff?
Are these drawings from the Porsche PET?
Here is the location.

Yep, all the illustrations are from PET

Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

The picture seems to be pointing to "9" in your first illustration (below) this doesn't look like the sensor (pic of part on your website), is it just angle of view?

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche

Attached Images  

Last edited by Danyol; 05-01-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor
#9 in the first illustration is a fuel tank restraining strap.

#9 in the second illustration I posted is the fuel tank pressure sensor. Sorry if all this is getting confusing.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I meant "12" in the first drawing which I think is around the filler neck, your arrow is pointing in that area.

Last edited by Danyol; 05-01-2012 at 04:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Large Evap Leak Help Needed...