996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Data logging with Durametric?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Data logging with Durametric?

Hey guys,
I am going to be at the track tomorrow and wanted to do some datalogging with my durametric to see if my engine is in it's "happy zone". I've used my durametric before to clear codes and pull up DME data on the car but I have never done any datalogging. I didn't really see any clear instructions on how set it up and do it, and obviously I am overlooking something. Anyone car to shed some light on how to set Durametric up for logging?? I don't know if it matters, but I'm running durametric on my MacBook with Windows XP Pro via Bootcamp. TIA....

Old 05-10-2012, 02:29 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Click the tab that says "Actual Values" then check the boxes for data that you want to log. Kevin recommends logging:
rpm, engine load, mass air flow, inlet air temp, ignition angle, injector time, O2 sensor lambda (1&2), Boost pressure at sensor, setpoint boost, boost control P/D factor, and correction factor for BPC with knock control.

When you are ready to log, click start, and when you are done click stop. Then export to an xls file. I then drag and drop the xls file to the mac desktop to look at it.

I am running Windows using VMware fusion, so windows runs under MacOS. The Mac is a little slow in logging data because of the windows overhead.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
You'll likely be limited to around 10 samples a second if you're lucky. I moved on to a tool that does more than 50 a second and includes all 6 knock sensors. You're much less likely to miss critical data, cheap insurance. Putting a hole in a couple of pistons will add up to many thousands more.

Last edited by Danyol; 05-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
all six knock sensors? there are only 2 on the motor. bank 1 and bank 2

Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I have a (very) basic primer on how to use the Durametric scanner for data logging:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ic-primer.html

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
I've been told to log only 4 at a time for best data. Logging more than 4 values at a time will cause the program to freeze up at points during logging which has happened to me. I would start at rpm,engine load,ignition angle (timing), and lambda value bank 1 (afr). Try to do it in third or fourth gear from 2500 rpm to redline if you have the room and if your trying to see how the car is running at full load. Ignition angle you'll want to be preferably in the high teens low 20's I believe at around 15 or lower the car is pulling way too much timing at that point. 24 is the highest it goes as far as no timing being pulled but don't quote me on that. Lambda you want to be around .86-.91 at wide open throttle. You should be right at 1.0 at idle. To get your afr conversion from lambda you want to multiply lambda x 14.7 to get your afr # approximately. Porsches apparently like to run a bit on the leaner side at high 11's low 12 afr's I've been told. Again I'm no tuner and I hope this is accurate info. Perhaps a tuner would like to chime in to see if this is accurate info.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Danyol
You'll likely be limited to around 10 samples a second if you're lucky. I moved on to a tool that does more than 50 a second and includes all 6 knock sensors. You're much less likely to miss critical data, cheap insurance. Putting a hole in a couple of pistons will add up to many thousands more.
Here's a Durametric log with 126 samples/sec, maybe your computer needs upgrading.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Naw, don't need a new computer; How about 24 full set of data samples in 0.25 seconds

Tim you're right and seem knowledgeable, 2 knock sensors but individual cylinder retard; can you explain how the system works?

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Naw, don't need a new computer; How about 24 full set of data samples in 0.25 seconds

Tim you're right and seem knowledgeable, 2 knock sensors but individual cylinder retard; can you explain how the system works?
Looks like an efficient tool but why does the log display identical times twice on multiple occasions? No concern about the accuracy of the data?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm wondering whether the sampling rate is higher rate than the ECU is sampling?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
No clue. Which tool are you using?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Here's another log showing some ret data; crappy AZ gas. UMW data logging tool.

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !

The six are estimated off the two sensors. the sensors are one the middle cylinder on bank one and bank two. the engineers figured this out many years ago. code is cheaper then more parts in the car.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Kenco911 is on a distinguished road
Great info on knock data guys.

Would you guys be concerned with my datalog?

X50, 200cell Milltek exhaust, Forge actuators set to crack at 13.5psi, motorsport true 5bar FPR, US equivalent 93 fuel, EPL tune.

The red highlights timing pull & a bit of extra fuel, is this because of det/knock?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Durametric log 1.png
Views:	226
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	176678  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kenco911
Great info on knock data guys.

Would you guys be concerned with my datalog?

X50, 200cell Milltek exhaust, Forge actuators set to crack at 13.5psi, motorsport true 5bar FPR, US equivalent 93 fuel, EPL tune.

The red highlights timing pull & a bit of extra fuel, is this because of det/knock?
Looks pretty reasonable to me. You're correct - the timing pull and extra ful are there to prevent detonation. It's hard to get good data in 2nd gear because the time is so short. I try to do my pulls in 4th gear, but you have to have a place to do that.

Jon

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Data logging with Durametric?