996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost gage on 996 2001 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know off hand how hight the stock boost (bar) reading reads?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
My sources at SACHS say 525 ft/lbs is the max torque a factory 996 Turbo clutch can handle.
but would I have a potential clutch problem if I get boost adjusted up to 1.0 bar. Also, do you know if boost has manual adjustment?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
EPL tuned my car with 91 octane with 0.9 max boost (due to the lousy gas available here in CA). Usually the tune is set at 1.0 bar. I am easy on the clutch, no hard launches, etc.

Best to check with your tuner about adjustable boost.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
For K16 turbos it is 0.7 bar

Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts

does that mean on average at redline RPMSs?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Edward Jones
does that mean on average at redline RPMSs?
Max boost will be reached before redline.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUCIANO136
Very interesting. So, that would mean the DME adjust for lower oxygen levels at higher elevations? That's pretty cool if it does that. Normally it would be the same boost but less power due to thinner air.

I'll have a look when I blast through the local hills
The DME attempts to satisfy the torque demanded by the driver. At higher elevations there is less air pressure and the cylinders are filled less effectively. This reduces the amount of torque available at a given throttle opening.

If other conditions permit it the DME will allow more boost to compensate.

Simple as that.

I'm really a big fan of turbo-charged engines in the mountains. I got a real nice surprise with my lowly VW Golf TDi with its 1.9l diesel engine. Based on my experiences with large V8 powered USA cars under similar conditions I expected to have to get out and push the Golf over the higher passes but the thing cruised at over 110mph at over 6000 feet above sea level with no problems at all. At other times, even at the highest passes on I-70 west of Denver, I didn't feel the car lost an ounce of get up and go. For comparison when I went through there in my '96 Mustang GT (4.6l, 200+hp, and I forget how much torque) the thing felt pathetic. Andhow the VW Golf and its 1.9l turbo-charged engine was amazing. While driving I viewed the boost pressure though -- connected an OBD2 code reader/data viewer to the car's OBD2 port -- and found it making higher boost at lower rpms than it was making at sea level.

Be careful. These things gather speed at an incredible pace and even at 8K feet my Turbo accelerated like there was no tomorrow. In fact it was kind of cammy as the engine was a bit flat until boost kicked in and then as the boost climbed it felt to me the engine had all its sea level beans back and then some.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
What if Im making say 1.5 bar on aftermarket turbos?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo diesels are great for mountains. When it comes time to replace our SUV, we'll be getting a Touareg TDI. Great mileage and a boatload of torque.

Originally Posted by Macster
The DME attempts to satisfy the torque demanded by the driver. At higher elevations there is less air pressure and the cylinders are filled less effectively. This reduces the amount of torque available at a given throttle opening.

If other conditions permit it the DME will allow more boost to compensate.

Simple as that.

I'm really a big fan of turbo-charged engines in the mountains. I got a real nice surprise with my lowly VW Golf TDi with its 1.9l diesel engine. Based on my experiences with large V8 powered USA cars under similar conditions I expected to have to get out and push the Golf over the higher passes but the thing cruised at over 110mph at over 6000 feet above sea level with no problems at all. At other times, even at the highest passes on I-70 west of Denver, I didn't feel the car lost an ounce of get up and go. For comparison when I went through there in my '96 Mustang GT (4.6l, 200+hp, and I forget how much torque) the thing felt pathetic. Andhow the VW Golf and its 1.9l turbo-charged engine was amazing. While driving I viewed the boost pressure though -- connected an OBD2 code reader/data viewer to the car's OBD2 port -- and found it making higher boost at lower rpms than it was making at sea level.

Be careful. These things gather speed at an incredible pace and even at 8K feet my Turbo accelerated like there was no tomorrow. In fact it was kind of cammy as the engine was a bit flat until boost kicked in and then as the boost climbed it felt to me the engine had all its sea level beans back and then some.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I'm pretty sure the dash only reads to 1.5

Anything above that and you will have to reference the boost controller. It will store the peak boost and can be reset.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks Eric! Gonna make the switch over to 109 pretty soon and want to get all my ducks in a row. I hope to have all my other "issues" under controle by next week as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
I'm pretty sure the dash only reads to 1.5

Anything above that and you will have to reference the boost controller. It will store the peak boost and can be reset.
996TT in my shop now reads 1.6 on the cluster. Alpha 28 car.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
996TT in my shop now reads 1.6 on the cluster. Alpha 28 car.
I knew it was 1.5 or 1.6. I always reference the boost gauge for peak boost.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 PM
silentbob is infamous around these partssilentbob is infamous around these parts
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious to the original poster, but to clarify the question on how easy it is to adjust the boost, the answer is that it is very easy, BUT, you have to buy the revised engine software from a tuner and re-flash your computer.

The ECU flashing process itself is very easy and is generally done with either a standalone tool or a cable connected to a PC. You just push some buttons and watch lights blink.

It is not a simple matter of turning a screw or a ****. Tuners generally adjust the air/fuel mixture, boost, and what not throughout the power bad.