996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost gage on 996 2001 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Boost gage on 996 2001 Turbo?

Can someone help me with this. Is there a boost gage built in on stock turbo dashboard computer and if so can boost be easily adjusted? Will stock clutch handle the added torque. Do you know what factory boost setting is and what range of upgrade is acceptable. Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
page through the compute display.

you can set the upper and lower main display fields to display boost.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
The onboard boost gauge reads in bar, not psi. On stock turbos, you should see 1.0 max. To raise boost, get a tune.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM
bushman66 is infamous around these parts
I thought stock boost on a Turbo was .7 BAR?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bushman66
it is.

.9 = x50/gt2/tts

1.0 is usually a flash or high alt?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ttpopo
it is.

.9 = x50/gt2/tts

1.0 is usually a flash or high alt?
You're probably right. My bad. That's what the dealer told me when I asked about my tune.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Edward Jones is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BOOSTD
You're probably right. My bad. That's what the dealer told me when I asked about my tune.
do you know how high I can set the boost, what I would expect from that in terms of power/mileage, and what clutch can handle. I was told stock turbo motor can handle a lot more power but maybe not clutch.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edward Jones
Can someone help me with this. Is there a boost gage built in on stock turbo dashboard computer and if so can boost be easily adjusted? Will stock clutch handle the added torque. Do you know what factory boost setting is and what range of upgrade is acceptable. Thanks

Pics of said boost gauge please. And also we would need to know what tune you have and what turbos and supporting mods you have. Do NOT simply "turn it up" with out knowing these things.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
do you know how high I can set the boost, what I would expect from that in terms of power/mileage, and what clutch can handle. I was told stock turbo motor can handle a lot more power but maybe not clutch.
If you search, you will see that tuned, 1.2-3 or so is about max on the stock turbos. My GIAC tune goes to 1.3.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bushman66
It's complicated.

My best info (several sources) is the stock engine will develop 0.7 bar (though one source says 0.8 bar).

The complication is as one tech told me the DME attempts to satisfy the driver's torque demand and under some conditions this can have the boost going to 0.8 bar, or even 0.9 bar.

With my stock 03 Turbo I have seen 0.7 bar, but never over 0.7 bar, numerous times where I live and drive.

However, on road trips that take me into the mountains on I-40 in various states or on I-80 I have seen up to 0.9 bar on at least one stretch of I-80 in Wyoming at an elevation above 8K feet (and I might add running the sweetest 93 octane gas this side of heaven: can only get 91 octane here in Calif at least in my area).

These 0.8 and 0.9 bar boost events lasted long enough that I was satisfied they were real and not some aberration.

Other Turbo owners have reported seeing similar boost numbers from their stock Turbos at lower elevations than the over 7500K feet on I-40 west of Flagstaff or the over 8K feet in areas of Wyoming (I can't recall exactly where I encountered these higher elevations on I-80 but I think they were before I spotted Deer Mountain which is located between Rawlings and Chyenne south of I-80.)

Around where I live and drive I seldom get over 1000 feet above sea level, but others who live for instance in southern CA and drive some of the mountain roads in the 'LA area' have reported seeing higher than 0.7 bar boost and for more than just a flash in the pan time, so it is not just my car nor where I drive.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:58 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting. So, that would mean the DME adjust for lower oxygen levels at higher elevations? That's pretty cool if it does that. Normally it would be the same boost but less power due to thinner air.

I'll have a look when I blast through the local hills

Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
I was told stock turbo motor can handle a lot more power but maybe not clutch.

My sources at SACHS say 525 ft/lbs is the max torque a factory 996 Turbo clutch can handle.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
My sources at SACHS say 525 ft/lbs is the max torque a factory 996 Turbo clutch can handle.
So, what's up with people replacing their clutches at 40-50k mi?? You'd think it would hold up plenty long with only 400ft/lbs.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Drag racing, slipping the clutch excessively, etc. takes a toll on the longevity on any stock clutch.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
The stock clutch can't handle the power of the X50 package IMHO. Mine went out at just over 50k miles. I don't drag of slip it a lot having grown up driving tractors on a farm since I was 12. Whenever I'd try and push the car the clutch would quickly develop a burned smell if rev matching wasn't EXACT.

As for boost levels my X50 developed 1.0 bar pretty consistently at the top end of 3rd gear (and otherwise) which is above what it's supposed to do at 0.9. There have been no explanations offered by any experts on why other than it just happens my car will boost higher than expected. I now have a high altitude EPL tune street-tuned for the car (with a bunch of other mods you can see in my build thread in my sig) and I consistently make 1.1 bar but have never seen any higher.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost gage on 996 2001 Turbo?