996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking Back - Do You Think You Should Have Stuck With K24/18g?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Talking Looking Back - Do You Think You Should Have Stuck With K24/18g?

For all you guys running the big kits, what are your thoughts when looking back?

Was the jump-up all you wanted it to be, or could you have survived with a good K24/18 set-up?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I was on 24/18's for 1 week. The big kit is a whole lotta fun now!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
HI, Did you have alot of supporting mods with that set up?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
The billet 24/20's have a lot more kick.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
HI, Did you have alot of supporting mods with that set up?

Yea, I had all of them from dual fuel pumps to intercooler piping.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Pauli do the billet 24/20's spool faster then the K 24718´s ???

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
What whp did you mkae on bille 24/20's? Who makes them? Is it worth going from 18G's to billet 20's? Is it cost effective?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
What whp did you mkae on bille 24/20's? Who makes them? Is it worth going from 18G's to billet 20's? Is it cost effective?
I really thought I would go to the 20s after all my supporting mods with the 18s,see my signature.
BUT I was told by a few builders/tuners that at pump gas (93) level it was not worth it?..I might pick up alittle on the top but loose it on the low/low midrange and it would be a bit slower spooling...

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by WallsReid
YES,,,BUT On how much boost, using what fuel??
Where and what do you give up for it if you run only pump gas??
I have spent lots of time researching and talking to others BUT maybe I missed something,always learning....

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
While the K24/18g is the past of least cost and a great option, it's proven not to have the response or high end power of A28s. Given the fact that these mods require a flash, IC, 5 bar (better yet injectors) and exhaust I think the cost of A28s are well justified.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
While the K24/18g is the past of least cost and a great option, it's proven not to have the response or high end power of A28s. Given the fact that these mods require a flash, IC, 5 bar (better yet injectors) and exhaust I think the cost of A28s are well justified.
I think others have the same thoughts as you..
Having those mods and spending that money on the A28s,,Wouldnt it be better to go straight to 3071s because they work with those mods, similar cost for turbos and more power every where except at the very low end??

Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
John I have heard the same info about 20's vs 18's on pump gas. The advantage 20's have over the 18's is only above 1.4 bar.
So if you only run pump gas the 20's might not make much sense.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Keep out of my thread you - You're trouble

Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
to run a 18g you don't need much.. and its fun... to run anything bigger then that your into thousands of dollars of upgrades... with that said, I do not think its as easy to compare as it sounds... if money is no option then its a different story... do a $30K build and your ready to rock n roll..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1

I just did a 24/20 Billet install, the car made 605awhp on 100 octane, 72lb injectors, EVO 3.5" IC's, inlet pipes, remus exhaust 100 cell cats.

Originally Posted by ant_8u
Keep out of my thread you - You're trouble
Hey, I can see why guys go to the big boy kits for gobs of power and fun... the car handles the 24/20G turbos as if it came from the factory. Totally in control, doesn't feel much different, just pulls like a bastard when your in boost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking Back - Do You Think You Should Have Stuck With K24/18g?