996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fan Belt slipping? Assistance Please!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Kerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to all
Fan Belt slipping? Assistance Please!!

SO lastyear I noticed my alternator light/charge battery message would come up and it only happened with AC on and while I was in a auto carwash..I changed my battery because it was old. Recently I was in Car wash and same message came up> Safe to assume the belt is slipping with the added load of the AC pulley? When I turn off AC voltages climbs back up..

Are fan belts easy to tighten?

Thanks Guys!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
My fan belt was recently replaced (prior to my purchasing the car) and when I turn the car off there is a slight squeak made that sounds like it's from a belt. I too am interested to know what's involved with tightening up this belt!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
Lol, joke? There's no fan belt on the M96 motors, only an accessory belt. this belt is tensioned via a spring tensioner(automatic) and cannot be preloaded.

If you're referring to an older air cooled car, fan/alt belt tension is achieved via shims between the fan drive sheaves(pulley halves) Removing shims adds tension, adding them reduces it.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Sometimes mine slips at initial start-up

I get a squeal, and a low voltage reading for a few seconds, then it returns to normal

Not sure if a new belt is needed, as they're held under tension by a spring anyway

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Kerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to all
oops red faced rennfab...I had no idea lol....never the lessif I am getting some low voltage when car is wet and it has a spring tensioner is this a sign the accesory belt is wore?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
No worries, I was just poking a little fun

The belts do stretch a minor amount but moreso they glaze over time from use/debris/contaminants and can slip, and being that they are loaded by an automatic spring tensioner there's no adjustment available.

You can attempt a cheap fix by using one off those spray on belt conditioners, but at best you're just prolonging an overdue fix at that point. The belt is fairly cheap(contitech is about $50-60) replacing it can be a chore to those not accustomed to doing so.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
It's obvious your car is telling you not to take it through any automatic car washes.....