996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EBWerks prototype with muffler installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
EBWerks prototype with muffler installed

Enrique and Ben (EB) went above and beyond and because I was not 100% happy when I first installed their exhaust they let me test some prototype mufflers they are working on. They even came over and helped me reinstall it!
After reinstalling it this weekend I found that it is now exactly what I was looking for. On first start I thought it was going to be exactly the same because let's face it, the mufflers are quite small. Once it warmed up I was pleasantly surprised though. It is still super loud and wicked under WOT, but now the drone can be minimized by keeping the rev range in the sweet spot. Before there was drone between roughly 2200-3400 RPM and now it only seems to occur within a couple of 100RPM pockets in that range. This is much easier to manage with throttle input and gear selection.
I also bought some of their new slash cut tips and they look amazing

Here's a photo of the new mufflers welded on and of the tips installed.

Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Awesome to hear! I think that kind of Jekyll/Hyde approach is what a lot of us are after. I really want their exhaust but my neighbors would come out with pitchforks if I let the car run for 3 minutes in my garage to cool off at 1AM when I got home on the weekends with a straight pipe system.

Is the warm up idle any quieter or still pretty much the same?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I believe he can add another two of those on the other side of the X which should help alittle more.....

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Thanks..I am sure you will over come the challenge, one way or another..

Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daedalus
Awesome to hear! I think that kind of Jekyll/Hyde approach is what a lot of us are after. I really want their exhaust but my neighbors would come out with pitchforks if I let the car run for 3 minutes in my garage to cool off at 1AM when I got home on the weekends with a straight pipe system.

Is the warm up idle any quieter or still pretty much the same?
Jekyll/Hyde is a good description Ben, Enrique and I were trying to have a discussion right after starting it up standing directly behind it in my parking garage and during warm up it wasn't easy! To answer your question, the initial minute before the engine "calms down" is a really interesting sound. Kind of like an M-80 going off every 1.5 cylinder firings if that makes any sense...OK, not that loud, but it is roughly twice as loud the first minute of cold operation and after that it is very liveable. You mention letting it cool off for a few minutes at 1am and that shouldn't be an issue for your neighbors. At idle when warm it is barely louder than stock. I will try to post some clips of audio once I get my wife to hold the camera this weekend a few times.

This is one incredible exhaust and these guys are fantastic to work with. I can't state that last part enough.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
^^ That would be awesome. I'd love to hear a cold/warm comparison on video.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
My Speedtech 2.5 quiet without cats is fairly loud

for the first 45 seconds, for instance this morning leaving the house 5:45am, I leave the garage door closed for the first 45 seconds and modulate the gas pedal a bit to try and even it out.

I can't imagine how loud this thing would be, I would love it, but probably wouldn't drive my car until after 8am and before 9pm Although I'm not sure the local police would like it, last thing I want is for them to pull me over and have a field day

Originally Posted by mrmaass
Jekyll/Hyde is a good description Ben, Enrique and I were trying to have a discussion right after starting it up standing directly behind it in my parking garage and during warm up it wasn't easy! To answer your question, the initial minute before the engine "calms down" is a really interesting sound. Kind of like an M-80 going off every 1.5 cylinder firings if that makes any sense...OK, not that loud, but it is roughly twice as loud the first minute of cold operation and after that it is very liveable. You mention letting it cool off for a few minutes at 1am and that shouldn't be an issue for your neighbors. At idle when warm it is barely louder than stock. I will try to post some clips of audio once I get my wife to hold the camera this weekend a few times.

This is one incredible exhaust and these guys are fantastic to work with. I can't state that last part enough.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM
I rather sneek by a cop while I am speeding then let him know I am coming.
That's why I like a quieter system in Chicago because I do drive hard.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EBWerks
Where the cat goes, its a no go. It gets to hot.
Any more insight into this? I was thinking of running of pair of burns mufflers off the turbos, then some clever piping to mate up with the x.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by earl3
Any more insight into this? I was thinking of running of pair of burns mufflers off the turbos, then some clever piping to mate up with the x.
Protomotive puts them there also, where the cats would go.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Worthless thread without vids.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Even a perforated core or slight louvered core wrapped with good quality steel wool ?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Not hijacking the thread, because I hear nothing but great things about the EBWerks exhaust! Definitely thumbs up on it! What I wanted to point out is that I have the 911Tuning exhaust which is similar in design. It has resonators on both sides of the "X". The sound is very similar to the EBWerks, but a little more tame LOL!

anyhow, freaking awesome exhaust, especially with the slash cut tip design. I think that look is sex for the 996TT.

Thumbs up!

Pics of my 911Tuning with the resonators on both sides of the X:

- Chris

Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Worthless thread without vids.
I agree...I took videos today of cold startup, some freeway cruising with windows closed and some WOT runs at night. I even captured two "flame spits"...very cool! I'm editing them together to post tomorrow. Had a long day at the car show in Monterey today and I'm friggin' exhausted.
I got a ton of positive comments on the exhaust in the show also. There was another 996TT parked a few cars down with an obvious aftermarket exhaust of some sort but the EBwerks sounds and looks worlds better.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Here are a few clips merged together showing cold start, cruise, and WOT with the mufflers. I caught a small flame spit near the end, very cool

Last edited by mrmaass; 08-18-2012 at 07:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EBWerks prototype with muffler installed