996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

High speed handling like a shopping trolley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwengland
Both, Thanks for feedback.. Am running Michelin PS 2 in recommended sizes 235/35 fronts and 315/25 rears. Front rims are 8.5 x 19. I earlier had a wrong size tyre combo and changed shortly after I bought the car and I 'think' the handling went downhill from there.
What "wrong" size were you running before? The 235/35 and 315/25 is the correct size to be running if you go wider, having 25.5" and 25.2" diameters respectively. From the factory the difference is only .1", but they also use the larger fronts. I've tried a number of different size combos and anything other than fronts that are slightly larger than the rears causes issues with the PSM.

I recently went back to running a set of old 18" wheels with PS2 on them due to a flat in the rear that required ordering new tires, and it was amazing how much better the car felt with the 18" wheels. I hadn't run 18" street wheels in 4 years and had been running my 19". If I didn't love how the 19" HREs I have look, and didn't have 18" track wheels, I'd definitely go back to 18" for the summer street tires too!

I earlier had a wrong size tyre combo and changed shortly after I bought the car and I 'think' the handling went downhill from there.
So when you went from the wrong size combo to the right size combo, and made no other changes, the handling got worse? If so, that's really weird (and interesting!).

My mechanic aligned and corner balanced after the recent change of suspension so hopefully he got it right ..will try changing sway bar settings and see where we go from there.
What alignment settings are you using? Porsche OEM, or did you go to the performance settings that a lot of us use? I'm assuming you didn't change the dogbones or anything other than the coilovers and sways, so your front camber adjustment is going to be very limited (maybe negative .3-.4 degrees). Given your setup and what you use the car for, I'd recommend going with a 1/16" toe in each front (1/8" total), 1/16" toe out each rear (1/8" total), as much negative camber as you can get front (probably -.3 to -.4), and somewhere in the negative 1-1.8 range i the rear. Keep in mind the further you go from zero on any of these, the worse your tires will wear / the shorter they'll last.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
actually every tire manufacturer that makes a 315/30-18 tire has the rim width at 11.5 " max. i dont know why porsche put them on a 12" rim but it goes against what pirelli, michelin, falken, toyo, and so on recommend
I don't believe that's correct. Can you point to where you're getting that from? Porsche runs 315 tires on 12" rims from the factory on the 996 GT2, so you're basically saying Porsche ignored the tire manufacturer's recommendations?

Originally Posted by 03 996tt
I had the same problem: My car was lowered and had some toe out in the rear. The road undulations which caused bounce made the toe out worse (similar to bump steer but in the rear)along with the tram-lining from the wide tires I wagged like a dog, and it was definitely scarey. I installed a thicker adjustable sway bar and it reduced the bounce and ALMOST eliminated the problem. The bounce before the sway bar install was very minimal, but at high speeds, it was accentuated enough to slow me down.
The car is supposed to have toe out in the rear, and most people that modify these cars run them that way with great results...

Originally Posted by MrWhite
Also make sure you don't run higher tire pressures than recommended in the manual, possibly drop it a couple of psi if you know you have a hard sidewall.
This is a good suggestion. Myself and a lot of others find the recommended tire pressures to be a bit high and run 2-3 pounds lower to get better handling and feel.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
My car had darty feel when she had more agressive track alignment settings and I hated that when going high speed. Changed it to a less agressive settings and work much better for me.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Could it be possible that when you ran incorrect tyre sizes you may have damaged your front diff? After that, everything you have done has made little or no difference. It seems to me that it is obvious that this was the turning point and so must be when the damage happened. I cant think why you would swap every suspension component without first finding out what is the likely outcome when running uneven tyre sizes front to rear. Just a thought, check your diff

Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones

I don't believe that's correct. Can you point to where you're getting that from? Porsche runs 315 tires on 12" rims from the factory on the 996 GT2, so you're basically saying Porsche ignored the tire manufacturer's recommendations
look at any tire manufacturer specs. use discount tire , tire rack , pirelli, michelin, toyo, mickey thompson so on. every tire manufacturer that builds a 315/30-18 tire has a width max at 11.5" i have searched this over and over and they are all they same.
if porsche recommends a 12" rim then yes they have chosen to ignore the specs form the tire manufacturers.

heres the michelin ps2 spec sheet direct from michelin
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...techspec_table

heres the toyo r888 spec sheet from toyo
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/pr...petition-tires
now let me be clear im going to run a 315/30-18 on a 12" rim just like everyone else is doing. im not saying it wont work obviously it does. i just find it odd that porsche goes against the grain according to tire specs

Last edited by 32krazy!; 09-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Ajs76 will become famous soon enough
You know, when I first got my car. Stock suspension and all, it felt horrible at high speed.

After 8 months or so, now it just feels normal. I think some of my discomfort was just not being comfortable with the weird light front end, which you can't fix with suspension.

Defeintely try all the tech stuff, but it might be more worth it to ride in another 911 and see if you feel the same way on a "dialed in" one.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
these cars are bred on the autobahn. they get better as the speeds pile on. if its not, something is wrong. usually alignment or tires....

Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
I recently went back to running a set of old 18" wheels with PS2 on them due to a flat in the rear that required ordering new tires, and it was amazing how much better the car felt with the 18" wheels.
that was great stuff. wow. love this bar.

i gotta say, of all the things they got right on this car, oem wheel sizes ( esp gt2 ) sizes are best. 18's are best, hands down. i honestly believe that anyone that really drives the car with discernment will quickly feel the same. add that extra inch on the rear to 12", and you're almost there.

i know nothing, but still, 19's only lasted on my last car a year.

Myself and a lot of others find the recommended tire pressures to be a bit high and run 2-3 pounds lower to get better handling and feel.
36/40 max. excellent advice!

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 09-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
it cracks me up all the 19" and even 20"s I see on this board. Pretty much like chicken strips on a M/C. You can instantly tell who is for show or for go.

Tires make a big difference as well. I tried some Kumhos which made the car frighteningly unpredictable at speed. IMO the PS2 and sportcontact are the best oem tires. I settled on the Sumi htrz3 as they are a great compromise between cost, performance and tire life.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
most common failure at sports cars is you renew only rear tyres and hold the old front tyres....so your car will be unstable and need at minimum 2000Miles to become the good driveability return