996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just wondering what's the best: Wheels for a 996 GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you go with really expensive wheels, larger typically means heavier = more rotating mass = worse handling. I'm guessing that is the "instability" 996TT is describing and it should mainly be noticeable in turns.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I'm guessing that is the "instability" 996TT is describing and it should mainly be noticeable in turns.
good way to put it. i never had any issue with 19's at highway speeds.. or while parked

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Sting is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
dont forget to consider the weights of the wheels also. look at the oz racing allegrettas
Thanks. I looked at those and just couldn't find a color that I thought would go well with the Arctic Silver - probably because I can't quite picture it.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Vonschmidt has a spectacular aura aboutVonschmidt has a spectacular aura about
Atomic I'm looking for 18 inch wheels for the track oem setup, let me know what you have.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Unless you go with really expensive wheels, larger typically means heavier = more rotating mass = worse handling. I'm guessing that is the "instability" 996TT is describing and it should mainly be noticeable in turns.
Thanks, so much. I hear the Forgestar CF10s are reasonable and here is some data comparison vs stock GT2 wheels...

Factory 996 GT2 wheels:
8.5x18" at 28lbs 11 oz
12x18" at 33 lbs 0 oz

Forgestar CF10:
9x19 appr 22lbs (Forgestar data)
12x19 appr 25lbs (Forgestar data)

Any opinions on the quality of Forgestar?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I can't vouch for the quality of Forgestar but those weights are very good for those sizes. Only race wheels that quickly cost $1k each may shave off a few more pounds.

I was told the reason GT2 wheels are kind of heavy is because they are VERY strong. Probably overkill for the average driver.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Makes sense. Maybe I will keep them in case I eventually decide to track it.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
forgestar wheels are extremely popular with the amg crowd. flow formed and very strong.

heres a clip from the tire rack site
Spun-Rim, Flow-Forming or Rim Rolling Technology

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel without the high cost of the forging. Some of the special wheels produced for the O.E.M. high performance or limited production vehicles utilize this type of technology resulting in a light and strong wheel at a reasonable cost. BBS has used this technology for several years in their production of racing wheels for Formula One and Indy cars. BBS's RC wheel for the aftermarket is an example of a wheel produced using spun rim technology.

mine are being built and ill report once i get them

Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
mine are being built and ill report once i get them
Thanks!!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Everybody has different opinions on wheels! Asking what's best is pretty much just a way to get 50 different answers!

Personally I'm a big fan of HRE and BBS. Both are very lightweight and strong. HRE offers a bunch of different styles that will fit the GT2. Some 7 mm spacers front and 15-18 mm rear will help a lot of them fit more flush in the fender wells.

The key question here is what's your budget? And are you looking for something as lightweight as possible, or is style the major goal?

If you want performance then 18" wheels are the obvious choice, but 19" wheels look better appearance-wise.
If you get HRE wheels just have them build them to your spec. No need for spacers.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM
gclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond repute
Hre

Name:  gt2.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  176.3 KB

Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by gclasse
Looks great!

I've really narrowed it down to three wheels to choose from. All are very similar. The HRE p44SC, HRE P43S, or Forgestar CF10. It's really hard to tell the difference between the HRE P43S and Forgestar CF10. Do you have any recommendations on quality between the two brands? They both seem good.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
I've had a few sets of Forgestar and the quality is top notch at their price point. The HRE is literally 4x the cost so you may want to take that into consideration. What I like about the forgestar is that, at their price point, you can put them on the car for a year or so and get something else if you get bored. But really, they actually well built wheels and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

The HRE may give you a wheel that is nicer looking in finish or design, but you have to decided if the extra cost is worth it to you.

If cost is not so much of an object and you're okay with spending $6K on a set of wheels alone, then HRE may be your ticket. I would also argue that ADV.1 wheels are really nice in the HRE price range and offer really nice options as well.

I've personally ordered a set of the 10TF's by ADV.1 and I am excited to see the result.

- Chris.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Truth Chris. Hard to compare the two wheels. Forgestar is excellent for the money...they will be slightly heavier and not quite so perfect. The HRE and ADV1 for that matter are really top of the line....and expensive.... If money isnt really a big concern HRE or ADV1 are always impressive cor both the owner and the enthusiests checking out the car. Put it this way...on MY cars I have either ADV1 or HRE. On my wifes car she has a.set of Forgestar.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Truth Chris. Hard to compare the two wheels. Forgestar is excellent for the money...they will be slightly heavier and not quite so perfect. The HRE and ADV1 for that matter are really top of the line....and expensive.... If money isnt really a big concern HRE or ADV1 are always impressive cor both the owner and the enthusiests checking out the car. Put it this way...on MY cars I have either ADV1 or HRE. On my wifes car she has a.set of Forgestar.
i believe the forgestar is lighter than the hre. both models are flow formed. take the money savings and blow it on engine mods!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just wondering what's the best: Wheels for a 996 GT2