996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

buying a 2001 should i be weary of these fixes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
buying a 2001 should i be weary of these fixes?

So, in my past thread I wrote about a 01 that had the coolant bottle leaking and some loose intercooler line loose. Well, the dealer did a ppi and sent me the sheet, along with every receipt from fixes over the cars life. Pretty cool. But, the car has had 25k or more in random fixes since 01. Some included are..
Rear main seal twice, clutch, brakes, sway bars tightened, clutch accuator, loose suspension, some halfshaft in the front, front diff leaking twice, and a misdirected on cylinder 2. Plug was replaced and misdirected went to other cylinders. New plugs all around and the issue was fixed. This was all on dealer receipts. Do these cars normally have continual problems like this? Car has 65k miles.

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like a lot of issues! My car had 67k mi when I bought it and I believe the only fix was the rear spoiler hydraulics; the rest all being regular maintenance.

The PO had the dealership do a full inspection with every main service btw.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
try to find the glove box ..... opps thats the airbag

Old 10-15-2012, 07:13 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Those leaks kind of scare me. That many issues are not the norm for these cars.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
Those leaks kind of scare me. That many issues are not the norm for these cars.
I agree. I think I would pass. Buy it once and buy it right. None of these are on the "typical issues" list.

The common ones I could think of are:
* spoiler hydraulics
* 2nd gear popout
* Front CV boots leaking
* In some cases coolant lines detaching.

I wonder if this car spent a lot time outside; freeze-warm cycles can crack seals.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
None of those issues are uncommon on this board. All of them in one car is a bit of a pile. I'd find another one unless you're getting a screaming deal.

That is unless the dealer was the one doing the piling in the first place. Wouldnt be the first time.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Move on and find another car. A few issues is normal. A whole list of them like this is not. I'd especially be wary of an RMS being done twice because that means it's likely to need to be done a third time (and a fourth and a fifth and...).

Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
There is a good probability it was driven hard I would pass also.Keep looking there are a lot of them out there now and the prices are good=getting cold lol.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
So, in my past thread I wrote about a 01 that had the coolant bottle leaking and some loose intercooler line loose. Well, the dealer did a ppi and sent me the sheet, along with every receipt from fixes over the cars life. Pretty cool. But, the car has had 25k or more in random fixes since 01. Some included are..
Rear main seal twice, clutch, brakes, sway bars tightened, clutch accuator, loose suspension, some halfshaft in the front, front diff leaking twice, and a misdirected on cylinder 2. Plug was replaced and misdirected went to other cylinders. New plugs all around and the issue was fixed. This was all on dealer receipts. Do these cars normally have continual problems like this? Car has 65k miles.

Thanks for any help!
Doesn't seem too gruesome to me.

My 03 in just 10K miles (before I bought it) spent some time at the dealership for rattles and a bad spoiler.

After I bought the car in June of 09 not in order the radiator fan motor shaft snapped, idler roller bearing got noisy, shifter broke, the 6-speed selector shaft started leaking (transmission was replaced!), the clutch accum/slave cylinder had to be replaced, battery died, and a noisy power steering tank hydraulic valve was replaced.

All but the battery and the power steering tank hydraulic valve covered by CPO warranty which expired in June 2011 with around 60K miles on the car.

The noisy power steering tank hydraulic valve appeared at around 90K miles.

So since around 60K miles to just over 99K miles save for the noisy power steering tank valve the car has needed nothing but regular oil/filter services, one set of plugs, and tires.

In your car's case, at 65K miles the car could be probably at (no guarantees though!) that sweet time between early problems and parts starting to wear out.

But you have to be sure the engine, drive train, body, subsystems, etc. are sound, thus the entire car is sound.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
One thing to consider is dealers make their full %age on any warranty work they preform both on parts and labor, and it's a very good customer relations tool for them as well. A dealer would love to replace a component, gasket, seal, etc at the very slightest sign of a weep or seep, even if there is no actual leakage. A cough or miss one time from the motor and the full set of spark plugs or coils may be at times replaced.

What I'm getting at, is just because there is a big stack of receipts from the dealer doesn't mean that everything replaced or repaired had totally failed. Many new car owners are very **** and demand things be fixed or attended to that really isn't necessary. One reason new Porsche's cost so much and their profit margin is so high.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
That car's prob been abused. Weird problems..... RUN!

Tightening **** is one thing. The only common issues on these cars are:

1. Clutch hydraulics (The noisy power steering tank hydraulic valve)
2. wing Hydraulics

These don't happen so often but should be mentioned
3. Popped coolant pipes (if you track the **** out of it)
4. on older cars radiators leak
5. Coolant bottle can get hard and leak after time

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nick49
One thing to consider is dealers make their full %age on any warranty work they preform both on parts and labor, and it's a very good customer relations tool for them as well. A dealer would love to replace a component, gasket, seal, etc at the very slightest sign of a weep or seep, even if there is no actual leakage. A cough or miss one time from the motor and the full set of spark plugs or coils may be at times replaced.

What I'm getting at, is just because there is a big stack of receipts from the dealer doesn't mean that everything replaced or repaired had totally failed. Many new car owners are very **** and demand things be fixed or attended to that really isn't necessary. One reason new Porsche's cost so much and their profit margin is so high.

thats kinda what im thinking. a record said the customer requests to have the clutch changed, and at 55k miles, thats kinda weird, but anyway, they said they replaced the rear main seal at that time. i know dealerships like to eek out any money they can. In fact the clutch change was 7600$

Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
thats kinda what im thinking. a record said the customer requests to have the clutch changed, and at 55k miles, thats kinda weird, but anyway, they said they replaced the rear main seal at that time. i know dealerships like to eek out any money they can. In fact the clutch change was 7600$
Depending on the driver, it's not uncommon for the clutch to be replaced at that mileage. Could be another sign that it was driven hard.

That just reminds me that the clutch hydraulics were also replaced on my car. So, exactly point 1 and 2 in Turbo Fanatics' post