996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rattle inside the cluster!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Silver996TT is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Rattle inside the cluster!

This has been so annoying. There is a plastic agaist plastic rattle coming from inside of the cluster. My dealer wants to charge me $200 for TRYING to fix the rattle...which is insane. So I took the cluster out myself but had no success finding it. I am pretty sure the rattle is coming from INSIDE the cluster cuz I drove the car around without the cluster and the rattle dissappear. I installed it back and the rattle appeared again.
Does anyone has this problem? How do you fix it?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Silver996TT is on a distinguished road
Angry

I just can't stand the rattle it's tooooooo loud so I finally sent the car in. Next day dealer called me and told me they fixed it. I went picked it up and paid it and drove the car home......on the way home....the rattle was still there!!!!!!!
I called them next day and made another appointment. This time they said the rattle is actually deep inside the dash and will cost $700-$800 labor to get to it, if the "rod" inside is damaged, it may cost another $800 to replace it. I just don't trust them anymore so asked them for refund for the first visit.
This is not the end of story...they told me they can't refund me the money cuz they don't have the record in their computer!!! The guy who took care of me was the same guy on the first visit. He promised me he will subtract $200 next time when I come in for service. How funny is that...I don't think I will ever go there for service again.
They are one of the biggest dealer in our area, they have so many buildings for different cars...MB, Volvo, Jag, Porsche, Audi...etc. They even charge more than other Porsche dealers for service just because they are the only Porsche dealer within 100 miles.

Anyway, I really want to get that rattle fixed. It's sooooo loud. Dealer told me the rattle is coming from inside the dash not the cluster but I tested a while ago by taking the cluster out. Without the cluster, there is no sound. I am going to test it again just to verify that. In the meantime, does anyone have the same problem like mine? Any solution?

Thanks,
Dale

Old 07-17-2005, 09:56 AM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Silver996TT

This is not the end of story...they told me they can't refund me the money cuz they don't have the record in their computer!!!
Sounds like someone could be embezzeling at the dealer.
Have you tried pushing on the cluster or the dash to see if the rattle stops?

Old 07-17-2005, 10:05 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i hope you didn't pay them cash. even if you did, i would contact their service manager and explain this. sounds like the little man is taking some money home and should be reported.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:45 PM
mpwrmodena is on a distinguished road
I had this in one of my cars, Check all your clips in the dash to make sure its not broken, then retighten all the bolts. My bolts were loose so the dash was shaking back and forth.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:08 PM
techart 996 #3 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know someone in the LA area that fixes dashboard rattles well? Ive tried the Autogallery and BH Porsche w/o luck.
My TT has a slight rattle coming from the passenger air bag area. It'll only rattle on rough roads.
TIA

Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Bashy is on a distinguished road
Creaking and Rattle Fixed!!!

I just took my '03 TT to the dealer[July 16] to have rattles and creaking fixed. They fixed it. Here is how:
1. Applied wax on edges of Sun Roof and sprayed Dry Lube on Seal of Sun Roof.
2. Installed Foam Rope in Between Body and Rear Window.
Part # 996-541-903-00 CELL RUBBER CORD
This was done under warranty. The noise initially sounded as if it was coming from the front. Now the car has no rattle and creaking. I hope this helps someone.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:39 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally posted by techart 996 #3
Does anyone know someone in the LA area that fixes dashboard rattles well? Ive tried the Autogallery and BH Porsche w/o luck.
My TT has a slight rattle coming from the passenger air bag area. It'll only rattle on rough roads.
TIA
i got no luck from pasadena, so took it to pacific porsche. the service advisor, joseph, took this rattle very seriously, and got ride of it. call him, nice guy.