996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Possible new owner of a 996 turbo, what power is possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM
420a-t is on a distinguished road
Possible new owner of a 996 turbo, what power is possible?

Hello all,
I am looking to find more info reguarding what the stock 996 turbo model can handle. I currently have a 10-second evo that I am looking to sell and snag up a 996, but I dont want to limit myself by purchasing a vehicle that cannot be as quick without rebuilding the entire motor first.

I'd like to run around 600-650whp if possible on the stock internals. What is needed in order to run this kind of power? I read that the stock turbos are not capable of doing this kind of power, with the exception of the S?

Also, if I just upgrade the turbos, what are the next limiting factors? Charge pipes, intercoolers, diverter valves, maf sensor, etc?

Thank you for any and all help.

-Josh

Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
the search function is your friend ! there are countless threads on this and alot of info.

you will be able to find all your answers .

Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
The Power of Search!!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Pump gas?

You wouldn't need to build the internals, but IMHO you'd need turbos, exhaust, clutch, good ICs, fueling mods, intake piping, good tune, etc. $18,000, +/-, not counting any labor. I only mention the price because it might be a wee bit different vs. the Evo market.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
How big's your wallet? Ton's of information in a search. Let us know if you pick one up...and post pics. Good luck

Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
there a nice white TT for sale one here with lost of mods... i'd by that one

Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm jealous of my Evo buddies if you're after power for the money. The 996TT isn't even close to the ability to deliver the kind of power you're asking amount for a reasonable price. To build a reliable 996TT that could make an honest 650 whp on pump gas could be done for 1/3 of the price (if not less) on the Evo platform.

That being said, being a Porsche owner has many other benefits and the car itself is SO much nicer overall, but Evos are incredible for their bang for the buck! Depending on your overall budget and goals, I'd urge you to be cautious unless you map it out first since you're coming from a platform that is far cheaper to modify. Best wishes!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
I vote keep your sardine can.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I'm jealous of my Evo buddies if you're after power for the money. The 996TT isn't even close to the ability to deliver the kind of power you're asking amount for a reasonable price. To build a reliable 996TT that could make an honest 650 whp on pump gas could be done for 1/3 of the price (if not less) on the Evo platform.

That being said, being a Porsche owner has many other benefits and the car itself is SO much nicer overall, but Evos are incredible for their bang for the buck! Depending on your overall budget and goals, I'd urge you to be cautious unless you map it out first since you're coming from a platform that is far cheaper to modify. Best wishes!
The EVO will never make the bottom end torque which makes these cars so much more enjoyable on the street.

Later, Steve

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Einstein's theory of relativity applied to a 996/997TT .............HP+TQ=$$$$$$$$.
Newton's Law of Gravity applied to an EVO...... Dropped off a very high cliff an Evo will continue to accelerate

Last edited by Duane996tt; 12-07-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
525 to the wheels is way doable on k24's.. the white one i spoke of has most mods needed for a28's. that car is a steal.. it has good mods; with 7k it could be 650whp; easy... if i didn't have my car, i'd be all over it!!...

Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
The EVO will never make the bottom end torque which makes these cars so much more enjoyable on the street.

Later, Steve
It's a good point Steve, and a very strong reason that I prefer our higher compression 3.6L to the lower compression 3.0L inline 6 world that we came from. I definitely like the bottom end torque that our cars can provide, and you're absolutely right that comparing that to a 2.0L isn't even remotely close.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:16 AM
NeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of lightNeunElfDrehzahl is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Einstein's theory of relativity applied to a 996/997TT .............HP+TQ=$$$$$$$$.
Newton's Law of Gravity applied to an EVO...... Dropped off a very high cliff an Evo will continue to accelerate

Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
obviously the op hasnt even bothered posting back ... so i wouldnt bother anymore suggesting anything.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
420a-t is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replys guys. Sorry I've been living at work the past few days...

As for the fuel, pump would be awesome to do that on, but i have race gas/e85 almost always in my shop.

I've spent a fair amount of money into the evo to get it wher it is today, but I'd love the tq from a Porsche, something more reliable at those power levels and something I can drag race or road race whenever.

I have been looking around for a while now and the maint. doesn't scare me as I would be (attempting to) perform all the work myself. I am just really interested in what all needs to be changed out in order for those whp numbers to be possible. I can handle most of those mods no problem, but if I had to build the motor, build the trans etc then it's out of my range in terms of the affordability/having my dream car where I want it.

Also, do any of you tune your own cars? I've been tuning evo 8/9/10 for a while and Ive been noticing that everyone pays $1000+ for a tune? And is it even possible for a dual map tune?

Thanks for helping me in my decision, I appreciate all the info from you guys who are much more fimiliar with these vehicles.

Thank you,

Josh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible new owner of a 996 turbo, what power is possible?