996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

abs light and psm failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
It is less the oil than the possible turbulent air flow. The differential from both sides of the hot film sensor can cause voltage spikes...so if it isn't the filter, check for airflow going to the MAF.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I didn't say it effected them every time but I have had issues with them in the past especially when not oiled correctly. I tried them in many cars over the years and in theory they are great. I have over used silicone spray under the hood and ruined o2 sensors also it just depends if the gremlins attack. I hope your problem gets figured out and please ignore my opinion because its just that an opinion from my experience's.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rmc1148
I didn't say it effected them every time but I have had issues with them in the past especially when not oiled correctly. I tried them in many cars over the years and in theory they are great. I have over used silicone spray under the hood and ruined o2 sensors also it just depends if the gremlins attack. I hope your problem gets figured out and please ignore my opinion because its just that an opinion from my experience's.
Ive sometimes found if the MAF is old and maybe on the edge of its serviceable life then maybe yes oil ingress could tip it over the edge BUT I would concur with the testing K&N have done on a new fully functioning MAF and say it will not effect it.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:48 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
Ive sometimes found if the MAF is old and maybe on the edge of its serviceable life then maybe yes oil ingress could tip it over the edge BUT I would concur with the testing K&N have done on a new fully functioning MAF and say it will not effect it.
Unfortunately the testing K&N has done is quite suspect (inference space and representative sampling techniques?). Bench testing IS NOT representative of actual performance in our vehicles. The tests can not possibly cover all scenarios, so combinations of environment, altitude, power, etc. could result in blown MAFs. Their "testing" does not even discuss where the MAF sensors for testing were manufactured, by whom and mfg. date, nor is the measurement system uncertainty reported. There is also an implied hypothesis regarding the affect of silicone and this has yet to be substantiated as the failure mechanism. I do understand their position regarding the potential myth due to lack of substantiated data, but the lack of data also does not prove there isn't a problem.

I also acknowledge that it is virtually impossible for us to properly assess the MAF's integrity. I know there are lots of posts on "cleaning" a MAF...again no quantitative data to suggest this actually does anything. So here we are left to hypothesize with little (or no) ability to understand the failure mechanisms or the true causal structure. We are left to experiment in very inefficient ways (trial and error and One Factor at a Time manipulation) and rely on our brethren to provide anecdotal evidence...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
This I will say, on our cars, being forced induced, the MAF at stock tuned is usuable , when coupled with a oil filter element, you are pulling air through the element at a higher rate than k&N are testing at possibly dislodging oil from the filters more especially if they have been improperly oiled. This oil will go somewhere, usually gets stuck in the middle of the air flow track of the MAF. Start adding lots of boost in tuned cars, the effect must be amplified. I addition, when that much are is running through the MAF and I'm talking about 1.2 bar tunes, the circuitry in the MAF cannot resolve the speed of air flowing. Combine this flow volume and oil from the filter element, you are stressing the MAF sensor at the least and over time with the added heat from forced boost, degrading the sensor and lead to death of MAF.
Having gone to a hitachi MAF, I can say that I've not experienced any further issues with blown maf ( 2K miles so far) and my vehicle is much happier overall.
Put a used white tshirt down your intake tract and wipe it down, see how much dirt/oil is inside there. Clean it out best as you can and come back in a week of driving and repeat to see how much have been re-deposited.

I use to see this behavior when I ran ford 7.3L turbo diesels with big turbos and big AFE cone filters. With the tunes were running and torque numbers in the 900 ft/lbs my intake tract was constantly coated in oil from the filter especially after a filter cleaning.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
But in my case the ABS PSM warning comes on when starting to accelerate from say 30-40 in 5th/6th gear its not really at high RPM/air flow, I re fitted a new stock filter and exactly the same result and 2 new Bosch MAF's

The bench test K&N conducted looked pretty conclusive to me ie voltage behaving correctly etc under the ingress of oil to a far greater degree than could ever come out of a filter.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
But in my case the ABS PSM warning comes on when starting to accelerate from say 30-40 in 5th/6th gear its not really at high RPM/air flow, I re fitted a new stock filter and exactly the same result and 2 new Bosch MAF's

The bench test K&N conducted looked pretty conclusive to me ie voltage behaving correctly etc under the ingress of oil to a far greater degree than could ever come out of a filter.
My car does the exact same thing. I've just gotten used to it and deal with it

Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
My car does the exact same thing. I've just gotten used to it and deal with it
Im pretty convinced the performance drops off when its activated until you turn the ign off and it resets with no warning lights.
It blew a water pipe last night as I was in front of a Ferrari pulling 6000rpm in 4th!!! Poor guy in the Ferrari must have wondered what happened !!!!