996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

abs light and psm failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by clammy77
For the MAF, what is the exact part number?

Thanks! and is the MAF the sensor on the left of the engine compartment?
Yes the MAF in on the inlet pipe to the left of motor (driver's side)

Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
clammy77 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rxbike
Yes the MAF in on the inlet pipe to the left of motor (driver's side)
Thanks so much!

This is easily replaceable by myself?

The shop quoted 300usd to fix the abs/psm lights...and i am seeing the parts sold on ebay fot 60 bucks.

Also the shop told me the piece i need to replace is not the MAF, but the airflow sensor, but i couldnt find any info on that. Not sure if he is correct.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Thanks so much!

The shop quoted 300usd to fix the abs/psm lights...and i am seeing the parts sold on ebay fot 60 bucks.

Also the shop told me the piece i need to replace is not the MAF, but the airflow sensor, but i couldnt find any info on that. Not sure if he is correct.
MAF is "Mass Airflow Sensor."

Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by ASLAN
MAF is "Mass Airflow Sensor."
Exactly, but he told me no. I asked him again and he said thats not the part to fix, and 996tt doesnt have MAF. Sounds like wrong info to me. Weird thing is this shop is a very reputable porsche shop...

Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Exactly, but he told me no. I asked him again and he said thats not the part to fix, and 996tt doesnt have MAF. Sounds like wrong info to me. Weird thing is this shop is a very reputable porsche shop...
Hmmmmm - I would be getting a second opinion!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks so much!

MAF replacement is five minutes or less. Two torx screws, a clip to unplug the harness and reverse the process to replace and you are done. Ebay MAF are rebuilt unit with a new resistor (could be diode ) replace most of the time. I've had success with the Bosch unit on Amazon for ~180.00 bucks instead of the Porsche unit which is ~275.00 USD.
Actually I have a aftermarket MAF from amazon in my toolbox brand new I'd give away if you are interested. Pay for shipping to taipei and its yours.
(I did go with Hitachi MAF so no longer a problem)

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
That would be fantastic thanks!

Quick question though, what is the major difference between an aftermarket vs. the Porsche unit?

And you also replaced it due to ABS/PSM issue?

BTW my email is edward.liu77@gmail.com, if you could send me an email we can just talk there

Last edited by clammy77; 04-29-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
I have the same problem and the car has had 2 new Bosch MAF sensors. It is running 1.2 bar, Ti exhaust,200 CEL Cats, 1 bar actuators, K&N with twin entry carbon airbox. The ABS/PSM light comes on under hi load acceleration ie from 30-40mph in 5th or 6th gear and throws a MAF fault on the durametric. Ive had another tuner in the UK tell me its the map !!! Any ideas guys

Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Get rid of the K&N filter.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Get rid of the K&N filter.
Tried it with and without the K & N, the rumour about the oil from the filters getting on the MAF's is just that a rumour.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

Last edited by johnny.dangerous; 04-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
The oil from filters will mess with the maf more times then not.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by rmc1148
The oil from filters will mess with the maf more times then not.
You think?

http://http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/3MAFSensorVideo.htm

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Going to do a proper leak test tomorrow with a smoke machine.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Yes that is what I have personally have found but I'm sure you disagree so please ignore= I was just trying to help.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Yes that is what I have personally have found but I'm sure you disagree so please ignore= I was just trying to help.
Not me dude, I thought it could be the same, took it out and cleaned it loads of times, even got a new stock filter and put that in. Have you watched the video as it is pretty definitive !!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: abs light and psm failure