996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Theoretical top speed on a stock tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Agreed.. wind tunnels are so hard to get time in though.. And a engineer that would be interested in this type of project just maybe even harder to find.
100% Tim

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Haha. Closing off the front vents is a BAD idea. I've done it. The car over heats and it will blow the radiators.

Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Joe there are simple proven changes that even a 1/2 wit idiot could make without worry. The list I made in my prior post has many of them. Especially venting the front fender and closing off the front openings. OK yes they would require some basic though; but a very simple string test would tell you all that you need to know. Even NASA uses string tests to check flow. Here I found this picture and article to show you what I mean if you do not know. I did not read it yet but the picture serves to explain what I mean. And for your viewing pleasure it is even a Porsche. http://www.racingonthecheap.com/aerodynamics/

There are numerous simple books out there on car aero that would coach you through many simple mods that would make a world of difference and if you ever want to try again you can to call me I would be glad to help. I do know a thing or two about the aerodynamics of going fast even if it is meant to take flight or not take flight. The big thing with wanting to not take flight is knowing what to do with multiple air paths coming together, a little knowledge there and a few simple strakes could really help out.

Here is a list of the 7 auto speed articles on the subject, they are actually not all that bad.
Aero testing part one http://www.autospeed.com/A_108656/cms/article.html
Pt 2 http://www.autospeed.com/A_108674/cms/article.html
Pt 3 http://www.autospeed.com/A_108675/cms/article.html

Vortex generators for auto
Pt 1 http://www.autospeed.com/A_3058/cms/article.html
Pt 2 http://www.autospeed.com/A_3059/cms/article.html
Pt 3 http://autospeed.com/A_3060/cms/article.html
Pt 4 http://autospeed.com/cms/A_3061/arti...popularArticle

Last edited by BlackHorseTurbo; 01-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Haha. Closing off the front vents is a BAD idea. I've done it. The car over heats and it will blow the radiators.
Funny thats the first thing I was told... and the first thing I said. So I decided to make more power.. seems easier.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
100% Tim
Even harder to swallow is the fact that a small mis calic can kill you.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
You do not close them off completely and you do not close them off permanently, especially if it is a car you want to use on the road. You control there size, there shape and where they exit.

You can do something like this.

First pic are regular acro openings and not all that aerodynamic. Basically a stock set up. Notice big opening for cooling the cylinders and the small one on the bottom center is for Engine intake and now some use that for an oil cooler duct.
http://209.85.120.99/viewphoto.php?id=5860825&nseq=76

Here is the first generation of drag reduction and also better air flow. Notice it is fully removable and interchangeable with a different opening. The seams are a perfect fit and finish is worthy of an expensive car.
http://www.air-races.com/airblog/wp-content/gallery/rbar-rotterdam-2008/imgp1680-peter-besenyei.jpg

Here is the final arrangement Peter used on his last RAR plane, even better for cylinder cooling and even less drag. But whoever did this one really did not care about their seams. Seams like that make me and baby Jesus cry; they also create drag.
http://redbullairracefan.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/peter_besenyei_hungary___12.jpg

Notice the very pronounced airfoil shape on all the openings, that greatly effects how well an opening draws in air and also how aerodynamically effective they are. Something like this could easily be done to the front of your high speed cars. I do not think your biggest gains are now to be achieved by even greater power; I think they would come from better aero.

I really have had the best of intentions of making some Aero improvements to my car but I just cannot seem to get some free time to work on my own junk, specifically a radical new step wing for the back and a set of dive planes and a splitter for the front of my car.

Last edited by Engine Guy; 01-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Even harder to swallow is the fact that a small mis calic can kill you.
OH please Tim has your wife hacked your 6 speed account (That was said for comedic effect not to be an insult)
You spend countless dollars chasing and R & Ding power yet you do not have the stomach for some simple acro mods. We are not talking a F1 car with multi tiered wings and countless strakes and canards all over the place.

There are certain things you can do that just will not hurt you. Venting fenders you could not screw up even if you tried. And it is not like these high speed mile people are not already having issues with the high speed Porsche light front end.

But I guess this is not unlike any other foreign task to a person, if you have never changed a tire for many people that could be to much.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
OH please Tim has your wife hacked your 6 speed account (That was said for comedic effect not to be an insult)
You spend countless dollars chasing and R & Ding power yet you do not have the stomach for some simple acro mods. We are not talking a F1 car with multi tiered wings and countless strakes and canards all over the place.

There are certain things you can do that just will not hurt you. Venting fenders you could not screw up even if you tried. And it is not like these high speed mile people are not already having issues with the high speed Porsche light front end.

But I guess this is not unlike any other foreign task to a person, if you have never changed a tire for many people that could be to much.
HAHA... The gt2 rad exhaust duct aim the air right threw the front wheels and keep the air from just whipping around and going under the car. I do have some ideas in mind and have spoken to some people in the know. How much I will try... I dont know. I really dont have a good place to truly test.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Jim Campbell is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joetwint
With my car making alot more whp than it was when it ran 231 i think its easily capable of going over 240 i just dont think the aero is there to do it.At this point i think it would be stupid to take the car back without doing some sort of aerodynamics testing.Getting the car in a wind tunnel with an aero engineer would be the ticket.Making any kind of aero changes without one would just be shooting arrows in the sky and actually is dangerous.I would advise anyone going back to be careful when making aero changes especially with things like flat panel bottoms.the car could just take flight if you get too much air under it or happen to spin sideways.I think one of the easiest and safest aero mods is to rake the car and get the front lower than the rear to keep front end lift to a minimum.I dont want to see anyone get hurt.
Joe how much power was your car making when it went 231? How much have you made since then?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell
Joe how much power was your car making when it went 231? How much have you made since then?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
it was making 975 awhp at the time it went 231 and is currently making @1300 rwhp.....

Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MCGT3
Todd has already gone in excess of 209MPH, and I believe he'll have more HP this time around.

At this point it's a matter of how fast he can get over a 1 Mile distance from a standing start.

His biggest challenge will be conditions and aero.
i just posted this chart as a tool. The 209mph is at 7000rpm based on this graph. Todd is reving to 7800 rpm so he will be quite a bit faster.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Providing he has the power needed....

Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Providing he has the power needed....
so how much is needed powerwise to crack 200 mph? (not that ill ever see it!)

Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
so how much is needed powerwise to crack 200 mph? (not that ill ever see it!)

It's argued that PCars only need about 675-700whp to hit 200. Bmoores and MBailey hit 200mph on the nose with around 700whp.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
It's argued that PCars only need about 675-700whp to hit 200. Bmoores and MBailey hit 200mph on the nose with around 700whp.
kool. i may see 600 rwhp when im done but its unlikely ill go farther. still 200 is a super cool #!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
That is in the standing mile... 300hp is need to hit 200 stock trim. It will take more then a mile though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Theoretical top speed on a stock tranny?