996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Water Methanol injection installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
double post

Last edited by jonty; 04-12-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Aquamist

My results where very similar to TTs. 563 awhp on a mustang dyno. Torque was over 600.

K24/18gs, 5 bar FPR, 72 lb injectors, EPL tune. Euro pipe s2 quiet. 93 octane. Running 1.3 bar at about 80 degrees. That's it for those numbers.

Regarding using the windshield washer tank for dual purpose, most WW fluid in the northeast is 20-30% methanol rest water, which is fine in a pinch, but when I am thrashing the car all day long at the track, I like 50/50 methanol and a couple of gallons of 100 octane, both more for safety than power.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Nice!

When you picked up 50-70 what pump fuel where you running octane wise 91, 92, 93 or 94?

What intercoolers are you running?

If you don't mind sharing your mod list?

The reason I am asking is I am looking to do water/meth and intercooler upgrade and would like to know which is the best parts bang for the buck parts wise. i am leaning towards 911 Marski's direct fit 3.5 or 4.5 as I can use my stock piping. I am hoping to pick up 80AWHP with the both and as per EPL they estimated 70-90 on their dyno.

Any thoughts or recommendation?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
When we tuned my car, I was on 93oct pump, spraying 100% VP M1 methanol. I had 18g's, 58lb injectors, FVD exhaust, Aquamist kit and STOCK EVERYTHING ELSE. Methanol will give you about the same results as bigger IC's (IAT wise), but without the benefit of octane. Meth WITH bigger IC's is certainly a plus.

Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
Doesn't our car already have a low washer fluid sensor in the stock tank and a low washer fluid light in the dash?

On my other cars, I simply T'd into the line running from the stock tank to the stock pump. This way I didn't have to give up my washer fluid to wash the windshield.

When the meth pump kicked on it would pull from the tank and when I needed to clean my windshield, the stock pump would pull fluid from the tank.

I always ran the the washer fluid (that contains methanol). This is basically 50% methanol, 48% distilled water and 2% detergents. This was recommended by Aquamist at the time.

On my Cobra kit car, I installed an aftermarket tank and fluid level sensor, and the gauge bounced around quite a bit. The stock fluid level sensors are much more stable and typically activate a light on the dash.

Later, Steve
This IS an option, but I didn't find it an attractive one myself. The float level switch is very difficult to install in the factory washer tank, without removing the fender. It is also much smaller than an aftermarket bottle, thus limiting the quantity of meth you can carry.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 PM
forcefed1 is on a distinguished road
I installed the aquamist system. at the same time I also installed Alpha 28s suction piping and IPD plenum. EPL is still in the process of tuning it all in for me. I don't know what the total WHP is.
I have done water injection as a band aid protection in the past with other cars. I kept the timing flat above 20 PSI and found with water injection 20 PSI was about all 93 octane could handle. with just turning on the water injection. I could then run 23 PSI with little to no knock and very safe EGTs.
This install in my 911 TT is the first time I will take full advantage of the methanol as EPL will dial the timing and boost tune in with the water injection on all the time.

I don't think anyone should worry about sloshing in the tank or suddenly running out. If you set the system and your boost up correctly, Aquamist has three levels of failsafe in their system.
first you dial your boost wastegates to a safe level. like .8 Bar or 1 bar.
then use your ECU or boost controller to raise the boost to whatever you want to run with the Meth. aquamist uses a relay to shut off your ecu or boost controllers ability to raise the boost above the wastegate stock setting. (which your ECU does by pulsing a relay real fast to relieve some of the actual boost from the wastegate vacuum line creating a lower boost signal to the relay thereby causing the wastegate to raise the boost)

The aquamist system has a low level float in the tank. mount this 2 inches above the siphon tube feeding your pump. If this float triggers low level the system goes into fail safe and cuts your boost back to whatever your wastegate is set at (like 1.0 bar) no extra boost control from your ECU or boost controller will take place.

As a second failsafe measure if you should have a blown line or a Kink or a clog... the aquamist systems have a flow sensor right before the misting nozzles. This sensor can tell if the water is not flowing and then cut the boost. additionally you can shut off the aquamist system right from a little push button on the face of the gauge.

As the third fail safe If the system is off for any reason or looses power blows a fues or anything else like that. you will not have high boost.

You see, the system has to have power, be on, and healthy for you to run the higher boost that your car is tuned to use the meth advantages for. Any problems and the car will run just fine on 93 octane all year long at lower boost. just make less power.

I find for normal spirited driving the 1.5 gallon tank EPL sells works well. I just fill it up every time I get a full tank of gas. It has never run out doing it that frequently and it's often got about 30% left.

I went with EPL for tuning my Tial A28s because Tony and I both felt Boost without Meth injection is pointless your only get 80% of the potential.

Last edited by forcefed1; 04-13-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Tank size

as mentioned above, I have a six quart and a one quart and track the car a lot. On the track it's pretty much WOT or full brakes all the time. I 30 minutes I will burn 5-6 gallons of gas and 3-4 quarts of meth/water.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a custom made welded aluminum mounting bracket (mounts to the driver's side front trunk wall, that I'd sell.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Fastcarfreak is on a distinguished road
What does EPL charge for the auquamist kit, installation, and tuning?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joe731
as mentioned above, I have a six quart and a one quart and track the car a lot. On the track it's pretty much WOT or full brakes all the time. I 30 minutes I will burn 5-6 gallons of gas and 3-4 quarts of meth/water.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a custom made welded aluminum mounting bracket (mounts to the driver's side front trunk wall, that I'd sell.
You got PM.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
are you injecting by boost or by IDC ? i will have to set up my aquamist soon, i see IDC more refined way but harder. Are you injecting like 4psi-25% 14 psi -100% or so ?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fadi
are you injecting by boost or by IDC ? i will have to set up my aquamist soon, i see IDC more refined way but harder. Are you injecting like 4psi-25% 14 psi -100% or so ?
I set my HFS-4 up by IDC it was not difficult.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Great! did you use the default mapping of hsf4 ? i bought hsf4 too with dual 1.2 injectors

Are you using the same map for pump/pump+meth and race gas+meth ?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I did not use the default Mapping I will have to check it was a year a go, I only run 93 oct and Meth no race gas and Dual 1.2 injectors, the car is just a tooling around on the weekends car for me

Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Pics of my installs

Several people have inquired about my tank installs and Tony posted a pic of my current tank setup 6+1. Here are a few more pictures of both the 2.5 gallon tank with custom bracket and the 6+1.

EPL did all the work, including hooking me up with a local tig welder who made the bracket. They did a great job as usual.

Both tanks attach to the car on the rails you can see in the pics on the drivers side trunk wall. The 2.5 gallon tank also attaches to a factory bolt on rear trunk wall (you can see the tab in the pictures).

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the 2.5 mounted in the car.

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 AM
more pics

more pics

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2013, 02:20 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joe731
In 30 minutes I will burn 5-6 gallons of gas and 3-4 quarts of meth/water.
I'm burning about the same, I had a guy look over with me refilling my tank yelling "That's cheating!" then came the million questions

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water Methanol injection installation