996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Foam blowing from vents and rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
UPS tracking shows my replacement unit to arrive tomorrow! Then the fun begins!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:01 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
That's a lot of work!, I may do it but not anytime Soon or not even touch it at all. Thanks for sharing the info VentrareDoc

Last edited by MadWhip; 10-08-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Drew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the rough
Why is the foam needed?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Drew959
Why is the foam needed?
Its insulation. The blend doors have holes in them (why, I'm not sure) they cover the blend doors with the foam insulation to prevent condensation, noise, rattles and cover the holes so the air doesn't mix.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Here is what it's supposed to look like! I will start changing it out tonight!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3026475941.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	404617  
Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
probably half of mine is allready gone. lol

Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Old one out! This is not a job for the faint of heart..lol

Name:	image-2538772267.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	404667  
Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Miami M3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 03 996tt
Vantaredoc, where in Fl are you? Im just west of Ft lauderdale and will lend you a hand if needed as I need the experience to complete mine, too.

Scott
I am in downtown Miami - i've got an indy, not sure if he's ever done this job, but maybe if we get a couple more guys together we can get negotiate a good deal to get this done

I am not disputing Vantaredoc's account of not being able to do the job (or at least properly) without full dash removal - but I know I had found a DIY with photos that accomplished it without removal. I've searched for it again but no luck. If I recall, it was on one of the renn. forums

Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Miami M3
I am in downtown Miami - i've got an indy, not sure if he's ever done this job, but maybe if we get a couple more guys together we can get negotiate a good deal to get this done

I am not disputing Vantaredoc's account of not being able to do the job (or at least properly) without full dash removal - but I know I had found a DIY with photos that accomplished it without removal. I've searched for it again but no luck. If I recall, it was on one of the renn. forums
I have the old unit out, you can clearly see where the foam is coming from. Two flapper doors that you cannot access even with the HVAC unit on the ground, much less without pulling dash...lol All I have to say is, good luck!

Old 10-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Miami M3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
I have the old unit out, you can clearly see where the foam is coming from. Two flapper doors that you cannot access even with the HVAC unit on the ground, much less without pulling dash...lol All I have to say is, good luck!
yeah, i guess this job can wait .... forever
unless of course you want to tackle another one my Florida brethren

I saw your issues - and my windshield fogs with the a/c usually at night only when the blower is set on the middle position. I find that if i turn on the lower blower, the windshield stops fogging - so i wonder what that means in terms of just how far my foam has degraded

Old 10-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Miami M3
yeah, i guess this job can wait .... forever
unless of course you want to tackle another one my Florida brethren

I saw your issues - and my windshield fogs with the a/c usually at night only when the blower is set on the middle position. I find that if i turn on the lower blower, the windshield stops fogging - so i wonder what that means in terms of just how far my foam has degraded
It is a bi@#h job and a PITA! Mine started out by only fogging at night. Then I noticed as more foam blew out, the window would fog in the morning hours and then when I got tired of the mess it was starting to fog during the day when we went for long drives.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Drew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the roughDrew959 is a jewel in the rough
This looks like such a pain. Fingers crossed I won't have to do it.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Going back together! I haven't had much spare time lately. I'm sure ready to "feel the thrill" again...lol

Name:	image-2675305710.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	405386  
Old 10-18-2014, 08:02 AM
It lives! Nice to be back on the road! A/c works great, no foam, no rattles and squeaks! The best part...I seem to have fixed the rattle I had going over certain bumps! This rattle has been driving me crazy! Turns out it was the heat blend door due to all the foam that came off. I forgot the feel of acceleration sensation! Crisp 68 degrees this morning and a smile on my face

Name:	image-937669042.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	405475  
Old 11-24-2014, 07:49 PM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
Foam from air vents

Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
Not easily. I just found a complete unit on eBay! I think I will really get to know this car...lol
Thanks Vantaredoc for providing the cause and fix for this problem. I've had this problem going on for a little over a year now in my 03 TT. Was this replacement part # 996 573 901 “Air Conditioner” that you purchased off eBay or a different part? I’d also be interested in knowing approximately how long it to replace the part. Thanks much

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Foam blowing from vents and rattle