996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is this normal tire wear for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Is this normal tire wear for 996TT?

My rear tires (MPS2) on this set of wheels are already done -- the inside two main grooves are at the wear bar on both sides. However, I was a little surprised at how much cord is showing on the inside edge (see pic). Is this normal? I did use this set more on the track and I got normal life out of the tires in terms of street miles. Maybe the camber is too aggressive? Any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Looks like mine (ok mine are worst Khumo SPT). I've check the alignment and camber and everything was perfect. So I've decided to go to minimum camber on my next set and it help a bit....Note: Completely stock car with oem wheels and recommended tire size.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran 2013-03-16 à 23.09.03.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	221580  
Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 03-16-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jpflip
Looks like mine (ok mine are worst Khumo SPT). I've check the alignment and camber and everything was perfect. So I've decided to go to minimum camber on my next set and it help a bit....Note: Completely stock car with oem wheels and recommended tire size.
Thanks for the info. Your cord looks more interesting (kind of a wavy pattern). If I'm reading the numbers right, it looks like you were already on the lower side of negative camber. Did you track much with this set of tires? -- I wonder if that makes a major difference on how they'll wear.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Thanks for the info. Your cord looks more interesting (kind of a wavy pattern). If I'm reading the numbers right, it looks like you were already on the lower side of negative camber. Did you track much with this set of tires? -- I wonder if that makes a major difference on how they'll wear.
Street only. I was back from a trip on east coast of Maine when I discover the wear.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Street only. I was back from a trip on east coast of Maine when I discover the wear.
For me, it was actually pretty hard to see with the wheels on the car. I thought I had been checking regularly -- I'd always take a look at my rear tires from the back of the car, and I'd use my fingers to feel the inside tread in relation to the wear bar. It wasn't until a crawled under a little bit that I noticed the cord showing.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 PM
For me, it was actually pretty hard to see with the wheels on the car. I thought I had been checking regularly -- I'd always take a look at my rear tires from the back of the car, and I'd use my fingers to feel the inside tread in relation to the wear bar. It wasn't until a crawled under a little bit that I noticed the cord showing.
Good catch. Anyway in time before trouble. I also will take care of looking at them more closely in the future. Especially before long trip!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
My fronts and rears look exactly the same after one season of use. I am also going to go Min Camber and Toe to help a bit when the new tires go on this spring.

I actually thought the fronts were fine but when I took the wheels off I saw the cords showing. The outside tread is still at least 75%.

Last edited by NTIMD8; 03-17-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I just flipped my rears sobi could get more use in them. Currently running Hankook V12s which is a hard tire, but did do a few track days on them last year due to the weather.

Everyone comments how my back tires now look bald- but actually the tire patch to ground part is now almost new! I am running a fairly aggressive track alignment however.

For future reference can you flip your tires?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Two sets in a row look just like that. Factory settings, everything stock.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
My rear tires (MPS2) on this set of wheels are already done -- the inside two main grooves are at the wear bar on both sides. However, I was a little surprised at how much cord is showing on the inside edge (see pic). Is this normal? I did use this set more on the track and I got normal life out of the tires in terms of street miles. Maybe the camber is too aggressive? Any thoughts appreciated.

Well my experience with strictly street driving is excessive inside rear tire wear is the toe is wrong.

Within spec camber doesn't have any effect on tire wear.

But those tires do not look to have normal (so to speak) inside tread wear due to misalignment.

The wear suggests to me the tires have been rubbing on something.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Well my experience with strictly street driving is excessive inside rear tire wear is the toe is wrong.

Within spec camber doesn't have any effect on tire wear.

But those tires do not look to have normal (so to speak) inside tread wear due to misalignment.

The wear suggests to me the tires have been rubbing on something.
Pretty sure there's no rubbing given stock/OEM suspension, wheels and tires. Also, my other set of wheels/tires (same sizes) don't show anything.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
somewhat of a plug - but you need these!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...group-buy.html

Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you can flip your tires but only if they are rotationally bias, not inside outside (two different compounds) bias. That style cannot be flipped.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by porka
somewhat of a plug - but you need these!
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...group-buy.html
I don't think I need these yet -- but I assume I'll need these if (when) I upgrade the suspension and lower the car.

Originally Posted by gearhead
Yes you can flip your tires but only if they are rotationally bias, not inside outside (two different compounds) bias. That style cannot be flipped.
The MPS2s are inside/outside rather than directional. Also, I'm sure you'd have to flip them well before showing cord (unless you can find a shop that would remount tires showing cord ).

Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Perfectly normal. Aggressive alignment settings - great for corners. You should just change them earlier. Mine were like yours once. I tend to get around 6.5k out of my rears. Now I just change them at 6k. They tend to go from the rubber stage to the carcass stage rather quickly - within 200 miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this normal tire wear for 996TT?