996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Ceramic Coating

I'm going to be getting my EVO headers and Aluminum intake pipes ceramic coated. I just got off the phone with the guy and he's saying there wouldn't be any trouble coating the insides also, despite what I've read many times on this board. He says he has the shiny, high aluminum coating, similiar to Jet Hot and a matte black finish. He says the matte black stuff would provide better insulation, but is somewhat less durable.

[edit] do you need the 2000'F stuff in order to make this process worth while??

Any input?

Mike

Last edited by Zippy; 07-20-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:06 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
You know.. Kevin is the man when it comes to all things coating. He knows that stuff inside and out (no pun intended). A set of headers I used to have was coated by him and they NEVER peeled and were cool enough to touch while running. PM him cos he could at least tell you wrong from right

Old 07-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is on a distinguished road
Don't coat the insides

Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
dont coat the insides..... Kevin is very good .

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 PM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
A lighter color should radiate less heat than black.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 PM
KraSE will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by ebaker
A lighter color should radiate less heat than black.
You want the heat to be contained in the exhaust and expelled out the back away from the engine, you don't want it to be radiated into the engine bay. Using the ehaust wrap in conjunction with heat coasting is the best way to contain heat and stop it heat soaking everything in the engine bay.

Aluminium has a low melting point of around 660 deg C (1300 deg F) so any coating based on aluminium will burn off at around this temp, thats why they have lower temp ratings (won't suddenly dissapear but begin to degrade). The black stuff is more likely carbon based or something like that at a guess thus able to withstand higher temps.

Also any intake piping that is around the turbos etc can benefit from heat coasting aswell. All a point of how far you really want to go, It won't suddenly give you untolds amounts of more power but more stable temps in the engine bay and intake.

Last edited by KraSE; 07-20-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Re: Ceramic Coating

Originally posted by Zippy
I'm going to be getting my EVO headers and Aluminum intake pipes ceramic coated. I just got off the phone with the guy and he's saying there wouldn't be any trouble coating the insides also, despite what I've read many times on this board. He says he has the shiny, high aluminum coating, similiar to Jet Hot and a matte black finish. He says the matte black stuff would provide better insulation, but is somewhat less durable.

[edit] do you need the 2000'F stuff in order to make this process worth while??

Any input?

Mike
Zippy,

Run .................. don't walk away from that guy. Alumimum coating of any kind will melt off in a turbo exhaust. Do not coat the inside of turbo's or turbo exhaust. As for the intake you don't want a ceramic coating, you want a heat dispersant. Take a look at HP Coatings www.hpcoatings.com or Swain www.swaintech.com

Last edited by cjv; 07-20-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:13 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
NO NO NO...Do Not coat the inside. Send them to me we are set up and dealers for Swaine. Yikes, no coating inside. Bad. No aluminized coating, bad...

Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Zippy,

The above two posts should convince you.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, ok, ok... I have no intentions of coating the inside of anything. I guess I never made myself clear. Doooohhh!

Stephen - If you have a set of Kevin's ported OEM headers lying around, I would like your opinion on how they would perform (swain coated) as opposed to the after market ones I'm currently using, in conjunction with the 700 kit. Or should I send you the after market headers for ceramic coating. I believe you had a set of ported OEM's from Msindi kicking around some time back. If I have to send you headers, mabey i should send you the turbos also and get the turbines done too. Please email me with suggestion.

As far as the aluminum intake tubes are concerned, what should I do there (if anything).

Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Re: Re: Ceramic Coating

Originally posted by cjv
As for the intake you don't want a ceramic coating, you want a heat dispersant. Take a look at HP Coatings www.hpcoatings.com or Swain www.swaintech.com
I was more talking about the intake of the turbo and piping out of it on the AIR side of the turbo, the rest of the intake track shouldn't be coated (this should be done in the silver coats as it better at reflecting the heat while the black holds it) I should of been a bit more clearer. Note this is from my experience so other people may have other veiws on the matter

Old 07-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Zippy

As far as the aluminum intake tubes are concerned, what should I do there (if anything).
Polish them unless they are really getting hot (and you have a high intake air temp) I wouldn't worry about spending any money on coasting them.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:33 AM
cgmeredithjr will become famous soon enough
Zippy,
Stephen and I decided to have my headers, turbine housings, and EVO aluminum intake manifold coated with Swain's white lightning coating. The coating looks great and should be very effective in keeping the heat inside the exhaust and out of the intake plumbing.
Cleve

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2005, 08:09 AM
cjv
Originally posted by KraSE
Polish them unless they are really getting hot (and you have a high intake air temp) I wouldn't worry about spending any money on coasting them.
KraSE,

To each there own. As you go up the power ladder each additional hp becomes progressively more expensive. The extra ponies are worth it to some and not to others.

It is a fact for each ten degrees (to a point) you drop the intake air temperature ............. you will realize a 1% increase in power. It is realistic to lower your temperatures by 30 degrees. If you started with 700 hp you would realize an additional 21 ponies.

Aluminum is a big heat sink. It's like adding a heater instead of an intercooler to your system. It is no wonder carbon fiber intakes outperform the metal intakes. Aluminum does however have it's place (where cf is unavailable or too expensive). If you have to use aluminum then applying a thermal heat barrier coating will make the aluminum product better. For your information, there is also an internal coating (for piping prior to the turbo's) that will increase the flow rate of your system.

Last edited by cjv; 07-21-2005 at 08:13 AM.