996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To rod end boots .... or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
To rod end boots .... or not?

My car is running a full rod end suspension. I am very good at keeping them clean as a whistle and rarely drive the car. But I was thinking about an interstate run for about 2k miles and I may even (gulp) encounter rain, dirty roads ect.

Some say the rod end boots are good for protecting from dirt and moisture. Others say the boots do just the opposite. They trap in the dirt and moisture.

Would like to hear experiences and recommendations from others running with and with out boots.

It would also be great if some of the vendors that sell these rod ends could comment.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
looks just like my setup!! idrive in the rain more than i like it seems and dont do anything special other than a good wash after and shoot a little silicone lube on them. no noises or issue so far.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
looks just like my setup!! idrive in the rain more than i like it seems and dont do anything special other than a good wash after and shoot a little silicone lube on them. no noises or issue so far.
How many miles or how often do you clean and lube them?
I do have concerns about the boots holding in dirt and moisture and you cant see it when covered by the boot.

Maybe it is just my OCD kicking in again.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
no real schedule for me. if the car is dirty it gets washed . as for lube if i have the car on the lift and see it needs it i shoot them with some lube

Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I was interested in the boots and then my tech, used to crew for Farnbacher Lolles, said they do trap dirt and I would be better off without them.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

I would be really great to hear opinions from the sponsors of this site that sell these types of components. you know, the companies that make a living from selling us this stuff. Except for a couple, most vendors never chime in.

So ....

GMG , Terret , TRG ,Rss , Vivid , Torque solutions. Any experiences or recommendations?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Thanks for all the comments.

I would be really great to hear opinions from the sponsors of this site that sell these types of components. you know, the companies that make a living from selling us this stuff. Except for a couple, most vendors never chime in.

So ....

GMG , Terret , TRG ,Rss , Vivid , Torque solutions. Any experiences or recommendations?
TurboTodd,

Hope you're enjoying the ride.

Rod End Boots:

It really comes down to personal preference, how you use your vehicle and where you use it.

Since you are in Cleveland (both my folks are from Cleveland, go Buckeyes) you may be dealing with some weather elements, harsh climates and/or salted roads with a myriad of other factors.

For those who deal with various extreme conditions, or who are concerned about protecting their hard parts - the boots are an option.

However, as some have mentioned - dirt and moisture can indeed get trapped in the boot which can create issues.

Here in Southern California, we simply don't use them and have never encountered a problem.

Take care, Bryan