996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSS10 Dampening Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
It's personal preference. I tried to run my softer, but there was just not enough body control.

Definitely a better ride on the softer settings.

I have come to the conclusion that there are at least three things that you can't use forum refences for. They are just to subjective.

1. Suspension settings
2. Tires
3. Brake pads

All three things vary a lot by driver ability and preference and on a forum, you have A LOT of different skill levels and preferences.

Later, Steve

Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Guybrush is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikerosi
So you are saying you run your Bilsteins at the #1 settings F & R'
If so that is VERY interesting.. I may have to give that a try, Mike
Yes Mike. Give that a try and give it some time too to get yourself oriented with the car that way. At least 2000 miles or so. Dont let your first impression about the softness fool you. Softest setting is more comfortable than OEM suspension and yet much firmer with significantly more feedback for the driver.

PSS10 is a very sophisticated and well tuned system. The car will behave well on softest setting even on aggressive driving.

This is but here is a pic of Garming GPS showing 313 kmh (195 mph) driven LEGALLY on a public road on the lower right corner...

Attached Images   

Last edited by Guybrush; 05-31-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Steve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to behold
Guy- I also find it very interesting that you use the softest (1) settings on the PSS10s. I may give that a shot and see how she feels. Whats the risk? Nothing... I will just turn the **** and stiffen them up. No prob!

Also, you are crazy for driving that fast!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Guy- I also find it very interesting that you use the softest (1) settings on the PSS10s. I may give that a shot and see how she feels. Whats the risk? Nothing... I will just turn the **** and stiffen them up. No prob!

Also, you are crazy for driving that fast!
Thanks Steve!

Even a smooth autobahn will be bumpy on high speed. With good tyres, alignment and suspension 300kmh is really not a big deal. Our cars were made to handle that. Even for prolonged times. It feels safe and the car goes straight, no need to squeeze the steering wheel. The aero dynamics downforce start to work its magic after 160 kmh. I think this is the difference between a natural born supercar and a high powered family car (M5, RS6...).

It all comes down to aerodynamics and suspension wether the car is safe to drive fast or not. You NEED a significant amount of downforce and a good suspension to keep you on the ground at the speeds that will take 735.000 pound Jumbo Jet off the ground.

Last edited by Guybrush; 05-31-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Guybrush

Thanks Steve!

Even a smooth autobahn will be bumpy on high speed. With good tyres, alignment and suspension 300kmh is really not a big deal. Our cars were made to handle that. Even for prolonged times. It feels safe and the car goes straight, no need to squeeze the steering wheel. The aero dynamics downforce start to work its magic after 160 kmh. I think this is the difference between a natural born supercar and a high powered family car (M5, RS6...).

It all comes down to aerodynamics and suspension wether the car is safe to drive fast or not. You NEED a significant amount of downforce and a good suspension to keep you on the ground at the speeds that will take 735.000 pound Jumbo Jet off the ground.
Actually our cars aren't that good at downforce in standard trim at all. I would say the faster you go in 911 the less surefooted it feels until you learn to trust the grip. Due to rear engine there is no room for under tray diffuser to generate serious downforce. This means our cars achieve zero lift but no real downforce to speak of. Hence the floaty sensation at speed. All our spoilers amount to is 40kg downforce which merely equalises the lift. This is why you see ridiculous wings at Porsche Cup series racing. If you look at Ferrari for example, the under tray diffusers are responsible for majority of downforce and is what generates its 200kg of downforce above 200km/h. I have taken some high speed sweepers at 300km/h and I was definitely thinking I need the big F/O Porsche Cup wing, should I be doing this often. ;-).

Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Wow... I havent driven any other car at 300kmh so I am biased. 996tt sure felt safe and on the ground at that speed. I´ve done that many times and did not feel any floatyness.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
You guys are talking about soft/hard regarding the settings...while that may be the appropriate description for some things..., it is not exactly right for the suspension. The settings correspond to the dampening rebound rate (1 slowest, 10 fastest)...now back to your regular programming.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Guybrush
Wow... I havent driven any other car at 300kmh so I am biased. 996tt sure felt safe and on the ground at that speed. I´ve done that many times and did not feel any floatyness.
Take some corners on German autobahn on uneven surface at that speed. I bet you won't feel that safe anymore. ;-).

I've driven f430 at 300km/h. The car feels much more planted. You can really feel the downforce at work the faster you go.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
You guys are talking about soft/hard regarding the settings...while that may be the appropriate description for some things..., it is not exactly right for the suspension. The settings correspond to the dampening rebound rate (1 slowest, 10 fastest)...now back to your regular programming.
Wross I think you confused matters a bit by using word suspension instead of shocks?

Soft/hard is appropriate description for suspension (suspension as a whole; springs, shocks and sways). However, you are right if we are talking just about shocks - then it is all about rebound rates.

And guys don't forget pss9's are reversed to pss10's.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Running 4/4 on my Pss9s and it fixed the bobbing in front. I would like to try 1/1 and see what that feels like as well.

Last edited by Etchhead; 07-12-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Endless3 is on a distinguished road
Very interesting read. However, I was under the impression that since our engine is located in the rear, we should set the rear to harder than front, in order the support the heavier back? any thoughts? I used 4/3 (F/R) previously, and found it to be too soft especially in the rear during cornering, just switch to 7/7. good in handling during smooth roads, but abit harsh in bumpy road.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 AM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
I'm set to 7F 10R for street and track.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
My PS10's are set at 2 in the front and 4 in the back.
This is stiff enough for the street and several DE track events a year.
My car feels better in turns if the back is several notches higher than the front.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by levinsje
My PS10's are set at 2 in the front and 4 in the back. This is stiff enough for the street and several DE track events a year. My car feels better in turns if the back is several notches higher than the front.
Stock sway bars or aftermarket?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Stock sway bars for now.
Tarrett front & rear sway bars are my next mod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS10 Dampening Settings