996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSS10 Dampening Settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Steve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to behold
PSS10 Dampening Settings

For those of you that have Bilstein PSS10s, what settings have you settled on for street use? Right now, my mechanic is suggesting that I set them at 10 all the way around. Thoughts?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Steve B.
For those of you that have Bilstein PSS10s, what settings have you settled on for street use? Right now, my mechanic is suggesting that I set them at 10 all the way around. Thoughts?
If you ask me, that's a bit much for the street unless you drive mostly on really smooth surfaced roads. Mine are set at; 7 front and 5 back for street and I still have to watch for pot holes. I set them at; 9 front & 10 back for the track. I prefer slight understeer for street and slight oversteer for track. Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Steve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Terminator
If you ask me, that's a bit much for the street unless you drive mostly on really smooth surfaced roads. Mine are set at; 7 front and 5 back for street and I still have to watch for pot holes. I set them at; 9 front & 10 back for the track. I prefer slight understeer for street and slight oversteer for track. Hope this helps.

It absolutely does.... I figured that 10/10 is aggressive. I just want to know what other people like for street.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I had done settings between 5,6(rear) and 10,10 (used on track and streets)... and different settings in between. I have been doing 6,8 for th last couple of years and found that it is a good mix between comfort and aggressive street drivings.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I started with 5 front and rear. The car never really felt settled (especially with the "seesaw" motion the rear engine creates).

I up'd the rear to 9 and that was better, but the "seesaw" motion was still prevalent. I then up'd the front to 7, which made it better, but not enough.

I now run 9 front and rear. It's significantly better than 5/5, but the shocks really don't do a great job of body control. I think these cars really need more spring rate to feel really planted (but then the shocks would need to be revalved), but it's a street car, so I have decided it's a good compromise.

You could probably run a lower setting than 9 in the front, but I would definite stick with 9 or 10 on the front.

Later, Steve

Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 AM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
I do not have PSS10, but my suspension has adjustable settings. When I last spoke to my shop, they suggested softer in the rear and stiffer up front. I am not an expert, but they explained that you want the car to squat in the rear when you get on it. So using this generalization, softer in the rear and stiffer up front. Have been playing with mine and liked @6 up front and 4 in rear for everyday driving (still a bit harsh - but sporty feel). Currently trying full soft all around - better comfort. Will try 5 rear and 10 front at AutoX this weekend.

Would appreciate any general comments of the characteristics of soft rear / stiff front or vice versa.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
I started with 5 front and rear. The car never really felt settled (especially with the "seesaw" motion the rear engine creates).

I up'd the rear to 9 and that was better, but the "seesaw" motion was still prevalent. I then up'd the front to 7, which made it better, but not enough.

I now run 9 front and rear. It's significantly better than 5/5, but the shocks really don't do a great job of body control. I think these cars really need more spring rate to feel really planted (but then the shocks would need to be revalved), but it's a street car, so I have decided it's a good compromise.

You could probably run a lower setting than 9 in the front, but I would definite stick with 9 or 10 on the front.

Later, Steve
Spring rates and dampers will not eliminate what you call "seesaw" motion. You can set damping to 10/10 and apart from harsh and rock hard ride the sway will remain. To rid of it you must fit sway bars. That will finally put a smile on your face.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by thomapa1
I do not have PSS10, but my suspension has adjustable settings. When I last spoke to my shop, they suggested softer in the rear and stiffer up front. I am not an expert, but they explained that you want the car to squat in the rear when you get on it. So using this generalization, softer in the rear and stiffer up front. Have been playing with mine and liked @6 up front and 4 in rear for everyday driving (still a bit harsh - but sporty feel). Currently trying full soft all around - better comfort. Will try 5 rear and 10 front at AutoX this weekend.

Would appreciate any general comments of the characteristics of soft rear / stiff front or vice versa.
As I said; softer rear = understeer. Harder rear = oversteer. Depends on what driving style you prefer. (It is relatively minor in feel). Now, if you stiffen up the rear sway bar - the change in feel and response is dramatic.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Spring rates and dampers will not eliminate what you call "seesaw" motion. You can set damping to 10/10 and apart from harsh and rock hard ride the sway will remain. To rid of it you must fit sway bars. That will finally put a smile on your face.
I do have a GT3 rear bar set to full stiff, but realize I need more.

Not sure how the swaybars will stop the up and down motion of the front relative to the rear. The issue is not a roll issue.

Later, Steve

Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
I do have a GT3 rear bar set to full stiff, but realize I need more.

Not sure how the swaybars will stop the up and down motion of the front relative to the rear. The issue is not a roll issue.

Later, Steve
Perhaps we are not talking about the same thing. Up and down motion is controlled by springs and dampers. However the floaty, left to right motion is controlled by sways. Having said that, coils and sways are in a way interconnecting. I don't think you will ever get perfect set up with a 911. The rear bias is just to great to obtain a perfect balance. I just got used to it. What 911 loses in balance it gains in pure mechanical grip. And if it jiggles a bit so be it!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM
So I guess there is no clear rule of thumb...

I have searched older threads and some people say stiffer rear (some said 8/6 or 7/5 rear/front), seems like this thread is going the other way... stiffer in front... hmmmm.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Hey Steve, I just tried this setting and I like it, 7 front 5 rear. Someone on this thread suggested it and you get a little more understeer: for me more controllable than snap oversteer. But Steve my suggestion is to try these adjustments yourself and see what you like. BTW my old setup was 7rear and 4front. Mike

Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Hey Steve, I just tried this setting and I like it, 7 front 5 rear. Someone on this thread suggested it and you get a little more understeer: for me more controllable than snap oversteer. But Steve my suggestion is to try these adjustments yourself and see what you like. BTW my old setup was 7rear and 4front. Mike
Thank you Mike... this is what I am looking for, other people's experience and then I can try some of the combinations myself.

Steve

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Guybrush is on a distinguished road
I have the softest setting front and rear. Roads in Finland are bumpy because of frost in Finland. However, went to Germany a week ago and found out the softest better for overall use there too. Much smoother roads.

I did 313 kmh/195 mph GPS speed on autobahn. I did Nürburgring too. Softest setting worked amazingly well. I tried harder settings on my last Germany trip. Much worse on high autobahn speeds.

I think PSS10 on softest setting is soft only the first few millimeters and hardens quickly. Softest setting works amazingly well in hard driving too.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Guybrush
I have the softest setting front and rear. Roads in Finland are bumpy because of frost in Finland. However, went to Germany a week ago and found out the softest better for overall use there too. Much smoother roads.

I did 313 kmh/195 mph GPS speed on autobahn. I did Nürburgring too. Softest setting worked amazingly well. I tried harder settings on my last Germany trip. Much worse on high autobahn speeds.

I think PSS10 on softest setting is soft only the first few millimeters and hardens quickly. Softest setting works amazingly well in hard driving too.
So you are saying you run your Bilsteins at the #1 settings F & R'
If so that is VERY interesting.. I may have to give that a try, Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS10 Dampening Settings