996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Trying to decide between KW V1's and V3's.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Trying to decide between KW V1's and V3's.

What I use the car for: Weekend only, no track work (or if I do it will only be a couple times so this isn't a priority), Driven hard on windy roads (not 10/10ths hard because they are public roads but decently hard). The roads here aren't too bad. Not much in the way of potholes... just some uneven surfaces or bumps - nothing major.

I'm not doing this for appearance purposes, I just want an awesome handling car. Something less GT (as in grand touring not GT2/3) car that handles well and more track car for the street. I don't want something so firm that when I hit a bump going around a turn I lose appropriate contact with the road but definitely firmer than stock.

So, I've narrowed down that if I am going to buy these new I am going with KW. From what I understand the V1's are the same as the V3 but they are preset at the recommended settings for the V3's. No shock adjustability on the V1's. So both are going to be good setups. However, if I get the V3's and just leave them at the recommended settings then I basically paid a $1,400 premium for something I will never use. On the flip side if I get the V1's and am disappointed in some way I will be kicking myself for not getting the V3's in the first place.

This will obviously be a difficult one for someone to truly answer unless they've driven on both.

Other parts on my car: Eibach adjustable sway bars front and rear and Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Kw variant

I would go with the KW3. Yoy will have the ability to alter/change the set up if you like. I went with the KW3 & had my tuner /shop go with an aggressive set up & gradually worked backwards. Good luck!!!
Todd

Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Most guys that I know that don't track their car go with the suggested setting for your car and driving style and then never make another adjustment. Adjustability is nice but very few street cars use it. Either way you will have a nice setup. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kendall993
Most guys that I know that don't track their car go with the suggested setting for your car and driving style and then never make another adjustment. Adjustability is nice but very few street cars use it. Either way you will have a nice setup. Good luck.
Are the types that you know that haven't deviated from the standard settings doing it for appearance and a nice ride or are they still driving it pretty hard on the street, just not 10/10ths on the track and tuning for particular tracks?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
My thoughts on the V3.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pressions.html

My uncle got the PSS9"s with the same suppqrting mods other then my sways and it is a big difference, with the V3 "s feeling much surperior!

Hope that helps .

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
My thoughts on the V3.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pressions.html

My uncle got the PSS9"s with the same suppqrting mods other then my sways and it is a big difference, with the V3 "s feeling much surperior!

Hope that helps .
So what settings do you have them on? Did you stick to the recommended settings or did you fine tune it? Are the roads you're driving on straight or twisty?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I would highly highly recommend the JRZ RS1 set up. It's single adjustable (read simple), you pick your desired spring rates, and the monotube shocks are vastly superior to kw or bilsteins. It comes with monoball uppers. Price is only slightly more than the KW V3s...might be a little more than what you need for a street set up. For a street coilovers the H&R non adjustable kit is fantastic and the valving is spot on for street / mild track use. Bolt on and forget about it for about $2k.. I ran this set up for several years and loved it.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 06-23-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sinKing
Are the types that you know that haven't deviated from the standard settings doing it for appearance and a nice ride or are they still driving it pretty hard on the street, just not 10/10ths on the track and tuning for particular tracks?
A little bit of both. Most of the guys I know drive pretty hard on the street and may track their cars a couple times a year. They usually dont change settings at all.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:06 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
For a street coilovers the H&R non adjustable kit is fantastic and the valving is spot on for street / mild track use. Bolt on and forget about it for about $2k.. I ran this set up for several years and loved it.
Hound- how do you compare the stock set up to the H&R set? Did the H&R's change the ride height too?
Thanks

Old 06-23-2013, 05:36 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uschoice
Hound- how do you compare the stock set up to the H&R set? Did the H&R's change the ride height too?
Thanks
My Rturbo came with the RUF PSS9 based kit which was changed over to the H&R coilovers. I have no experience with the stock turbo suspension. I really liked the H&R set up, the valving was spot on. I had the H&Rs replaced with a JRZ track suspension and sold the H&Rs to another TT owner who is very happy with it for a mixed use of street, autocross and track. The only draw back for some with the H&R kit is the fact that you can not get the car much higher than GT2 ride height. GT2 ride height is where your car with end up when the H&Rs are set up at the proper height as spelled out in the installation instructions. The H&Rs will have your car lower than a comparable PSS10 kit.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
I decided on the V3's and ordered them from Vivid today. I can't wait to try them out.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
I decided on the V3's and ordered them from Vivid today. I can't wait to try them out.

You would absolutely not regret your decision!! Just make sure you have them set up properly and you would wonder how you enjoyed the car with out them!!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure you trim the front and rear bump stops a bit. My initial installer did not realize how close the top of the coil over is to bump stop, before the travel ran out.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Make sure you trim the front and rear bump stops a bit. My initial installer did not realize how close the top of the coil over is to bump stop, before the travel ran out.
How much did you lower it? I plan to set mine to the maximum height which is lowering it just under an inch from OE specs.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I do not remember the ride height, now the supplied springs were replaced with higher rates and have less static sag.

But the KW V3s seem to ride (from my experience and what I have read here on the 6 and other forums) inherently low.

For me to say just trim up the bump stops an inch would be easy answer, but may not be the correct one.

What I remember from my initial install, was the shop set the ride height at the halfway point of the total travel of the coil overs, and then corner balanced the car from that point.

Since you bought these from Vivid and they have experience with the KWs, give them a call to get all the information you need to make your installation a success the first time.

Keep us/me posted.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 06-27-2013 at 05:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between KW V1's and V3's.