996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
Steve, great work and Irish thanks for adding to it.

If you have a cad of the part, you could upload it at emachineshop.com and they'll price it in just about any material you desire.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo996
That block you made out of nylon, obviously it was an easy material for you to work with, but eventually that would fail too most likely. I bet it would be pretty easy to machine something like that out of billet aluminum, and then it would never break.

I just installed the GT2 add on wing... I want to find a good solution to keeping the wing in the lowered position without just unplugging the thing.
I actually made the block out of aluminum in the beginning, but I started thinking about a few things.

1. The factory used nylon/plastic for a reason
2. If something fails, the block one of the easiest to replace
3. The screw actually rubs the block, so it would wear aluminum faster and could be noisy

Keep in mind the block only failed, because one ram started leaking and put the wing in a bind.

Later, Steve

Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rangerdick
Great personal innovation and problem solving! Good for you for finding a really elegant fix. Are you at liberty to post the the specs to your drawing?
I will post spec's when everything is complete and working.

Later, Steve

Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by irish100p
Steve,
if you're looking for the size for the washers for the banjo bolts, they are M6 and mcmaster carr has them for like 11 bucks for a bag of 50. In fact I have some if you need a few. The washers are also the same size as a washer for the oil drain line from an evo IX. As for the O-rings, I don't remember what size they are, but they're metric and there are also little plastic rings (like piston rings) too. Definitely be sure to get the right size O-rings because when I tried mine at first I had the wrong size and I ended up messing up one of the rams pressing the piston back into it. I'm now working on finding a broke *** system to see if I can steal some parts and make it work.

James

pm me if you need some washers.
James,

Great information.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Here's a quick update.

The 3D printed part will not work in the material we used as it can't handle the heat. I'll have to decide if we want to change the 3D material or just have it made the old fashion way.

I disassembled the rams for the wing today. Unfortunately I found out something I remember reading over a year ago. Below you can see the disassembled rams for the wing. Please don't try to disassemble your rams as they are under a lot of spring pressure.

The issue is the rams can't be disassembled. If you look, they have a ring pressed into them that stops the pistons inside the ram from moving.

I have an idea of how to remove the piston, so the seals can be replaced, but I'm my try a little more stop leak before I try the modification.

Later, Steve

Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 AM
I haven't reached the point of cutting into one of my rams yet, so I thought I would see if there is anyone with a broken system that may consider donating a ram to science.

I believe there are several ways that the ram could be cut open and reasealed, but I need to cut the ram in the right place. The problem is I won't know the right place until I see the internal construction of the ram.

The first one I cut open may not be reusable, but it will allow me to figure out which seals will be needed, where the ram needs to be cut open and how to reassemble the ram.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM
irish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to all
Steve,
I have a ram that you can have if you need it. I don't care if I get it back because right now it's just collecting dust in the garage. PM me your address and I'll send it to you along with some M6 washers.

James

Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by irish100p
Steve,
I have a ram that you can have if you need it. I don't care if I get it back because right now it's just collecting dust in the garage. PM me your address and I'll send it to you along with some M6 washers.

James
James,

That sounds great.

Thanks

PM sent

Later, Steve

Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks to James, we now know what the inside of the ram that lifts the wing looks like.

Unfortunately there are not only o-rings on the piston, but also on the fitting pressed into the lower part of the ram.

I solution is still possible, but will probably require some machine work.

Below is a picture of the guts of the ram.

There is a little more going on then you might imagine.

There is a spring and o-ring that are at the top of the cylinder.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii28/sjarvis0225/image_zps4af5df43.jpg[/URL]

More updates later.
Steve

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 AM
irish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to all
Steve,
Glad I could help expand the knowledge a little bit more. I have another ram if you're ever in need of one. Hopefully the knowledge gained not only identified where some of the problems are coming from, but perhaps even stimulated an idea of a better replacement. In any case great work steve.

James

Old 07-25-2013, 07:14 AM
I definitely think there's an opportunity for a two piece cylinder (instead of the current three piece unit). This would eliminate the o-ring at the bottom of the cylinder and the top could be screwed off to replace the piston seals.

Thanks again.
Steve

Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Steve,
What would one of those plastic guides cost to get done? I'm in need of one as mine is broken as of yesterday. I'm in no rush as I'm working the next few weekends, but curious as to the cost.

James

Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Steve & James, great work,,,very impressive. Outstanding contribution to the community!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Old 07-30-2013, 02:33 PM
I contacted them and to R/R our hydraulic system is 650.00 plus shipping. But they said that there are some units they can't fix but they won't know until they recieve your particular system. In any case I would rather try it myself because that's part of the fun.

James

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly