996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly

I thought I would start a thread to document my journey rebuilding a basically destroyed rear wing mechanism.

When I started my search for a 996 Turbo, I knew of the issues with the rear wing mechanism. Since my plan was to install a GT2 deck lid or a larger aftermarket rear wing it didn't matter to me. Additionally I didn't even like the wing in the up position.

As planned I bought my 996 turbo (which just happen to have a failed rear wing mechanism) and decided on a TA type 1 carbon wing. I was pretty happy with the finished product, but something started to bother me.

It was the fact that something on my car didn't work. It didn't matter whether or not I wanted the wing up, it was just the simple fact that I was driving around with a broken wing.

To add insult to injury, it seemed that every other person who looked at my car would ask "does the wing go up and down". My standard answer was "it used to, but I unhooked it because I didn't like it up". But the simple fact is though I don't like it up, it didn't go up, because it is broken.

At some point I decided that it was time to get this wing operational, just because. This was the start of my journey. Let me start by saying that the journey is far from over, but I have made progress.

My assumption was that like a lot of other systems, mine didn't work because of a leaky seal that caused the system to be low on hydraulic fluid. Boy was I in for a surprise when I started my journey.

I knew my system was leaking, because I could see the fluid at the bottom of one of my rams and also at the pump housing. Like many people I mixed up some Pentosin and Stop Leak and began refilling the system. I tried the technique of removing the lines from the pump, submerging them in the fluid and raising and lowering the wing manually to pull fluid in and push air out (which doesn't work BTW since the wing post don't actually move the ram pistons up and down).

This didn't work, so I decided to remove the pump from the car and hook it to a 12v source. It was easy to see that the pistons in the pump weren't moving. Given this, I decided to take the pump apart.

Below is what I found.

As you can see, the guide for the two pistons in the pump had been put in a bind (more than likely due to a rear wing that didn't go up level) and the guide was destroyed and wedged everything to where it wouldn't move.

You can also see that the snap rings (which I believe were in the bottom of the two cylinders) had been ripped out, leaving no groove for reinstallation. This was definitely a point where I thought that my wing mechanism would never function.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 07-09-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
theres a nice oem aerokit spoiler for sale on here. buy that and nobody will ever ask if your spoiler goes up again.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
At this point I realized that there wasn't really anything I could mess up since it was basically trash, so now I had a challenge.

After looking at the destroyed guide, I figured, the guide wouldn't be that hard to make that and a machine shop could make new cylinders pretty easily. Upon closer inspection I realized that there was no need for new cylinders as the snap rings are not really needed. Okay, if I could get a new guide built and working than it would basically come down to the stop leak fix or sourcing some new seals.

I ordered some nylon and cut and drilled until I had a pretty good, though not pretty reproduction of the guide. Below is the guide I made. It's pretty dirty since I had been greasing several parts of the system, but you get the idea.

Well, I built the part, but would it work.

I spent a little time reassembling everything and putting it back on the car. Guess what?

It worked

It's far from perfect, because I still have seals that are leaking, but if I can fix the seals, it will work.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 07-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM
So, I started thinking (which is dangerous). I wonder if my friends 3D printer could make this part more accurate and easier to reproduce?

I did a quick drawing and e-mailed it to my friend this morning. He entered the information and in half a day we have a finished part. I still don't know if it will work, but I will definitely give it a try.

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Now the hard part of the journey begins. I need to source all the o-rings and copper washers in the system. I believe several others have tried (without success), so that's why I say it's the hard part.

Hopefully over the next few weeks, I can disassemble the rams, measure all the o-rings and source all the needed parts.

If I can make this happen, then we will finally have an alternative to replacing or removing the system.

It's kind of funny that I'm enjoying the challenge of rebuilding a system that I didn't even care about.

Updates to come,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 07-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
theres a nice oem aerokit spoiler for sale on here. buy that and nobody will ever ask if your spoiler goes up again.
Thanks, but I would definitely do the GT2 decklid before the aero kit spoiler.

Besides, now it's about the challenge.

Later, Steve

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Cowtown10 has a spectacular aura aboutCowtown10 has a spectacular aura about
Nice job!

Built by a man fixed by a man...easy

Last edited by Cowtown10; 07-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Love the challenge, subscribed!!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Excellent work I cannot believe a vender has not came up with a kit such as your working on by now.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Fantastic job Steve!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Mr Jarvis,

We both know, that's a piece of cake for you

Let me send you my 964 Turbo and then we'll be talking challenge...

You have lot more in there to share with DIY Porsche community

Later

Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
After reading the first post, I think my suggestion would have been to seek therapy LOL

That block you made out of nylon, obviously it was an easy material for you to work with, but eventually that would fail too most likely. I bet it would be pretty easy to machine something like that out of billet aluminum, and then it would never break.

I just installed the GT2 add on wing... I want to find a good solution to keeping the wing in the lowered position without just unplugging the thing.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
Great personal innovation and problem solving! Good for you for finding a really elegant fix. Are you at liberty to post the the specs to your drawing?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i had to read this whole thing twice to believe it myself. i applaud your ingenuity and resourcefulness. mind boggling lol

Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
irish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to all
Steve,
if you're looking for the size for the washers for the banjo bolts, they are M6 and mcmaster carr has them for like 11 bucks for a bag of 50. In fact I have some if you need a few. The washers are also the same size as a washer for the oil drain line from an evo IX. As for the O-rings, I don't remember what size they are, but they're metric and there are also little plastic rings (like piston rings) too. Definitely be sure to get the right size O-rings because when I tried mine at first I had the wrong size and I ended up messing up one of the rams pressing the piston back into it. I'm now working on finding a broke *** system to see if I can steal some parts and make it work.

James

pm me if you need some washers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Journey to rebuild my rear wing assembly