996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Consequences of over-filling oil???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Worst case 996 turbo overfill experience

Group,
Several months ago I purchased a 2001 996 turbo with 35,000 miles and love it!
This is my first post here but I have posted on Planet 9 related to my 2009 Boxster. When at the dealer to get my spare key programed, I talked with the mechanic who worked on my 996TT with the previous owner.
He walked me into the shop and showed me a 997TT engine completely torn down. The owner had the oil changed at a shop not familiar with the car, added 9 quarts, and only drained from one drain plug. They started the car and oil actually shot out of the exhaust. They quickly turned off the engine but it was too late. The engine rebuild cost was 20K at the dealer (2 year warranty) and the inexperienced shop's insurance paid the bill.
It was a very enlightening experence for me and I now measure the oil that came out before adding oil when doing a change. Just my 0.02 cents.

Jim

Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by levinsje
Group,
Several months ago I purchased a 2001 996 turbo with 35,000 miles and love it!
This is my first post here but I have posted on Planet 9 related to my 2009 Boxster. When at the dealer to get my spare key programed, I talked with the mechanic who worked on my 996TT with the previous owner.
He walked me into the shop and showed me a 997TT engine completely torn down. The owner had the oil changed at a shop not familiar with the car, added 9 quarts, and only drained from one drain plug. They started the car and oil actually shot out of the exhaust. They quickly turned off the engine but it was too late. The engine rebuild cost was 20K at the dealer (2 year warranty) and the inexperienced shop's insurance paid the bill.
It was a very enlightening experence for me and I now measure the oil that came out before adding oil when doing a change. Just my 0.02 cents.

Jim
That made me cringe! I am really surprised that a shop could overlook the main tank! I can see overlooking the drains on the turbos, but not the OIL tank!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
ive found if i fill mine more than 4 bars i smoke at start up almost everytime. If its at 3 bars it never does. I think the level they want it at is wrong

Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
ive found if i fill mine more than 4 bars i smoke at start up almost everytime. If its at 3 bars it never does. I think the level they want it at is wrong
Probably not, if you are running 5-30 m1 try switching to Rotella T6 or m1 TDT 5-40 for a couple of oil changes. Mine stopped smoking on startup cold or hot since

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
I use 0-40 Mobil

Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 AM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I also use 0W40 Mobil 1
Several weeks ago I changed the oil in the 996TT measuring the amount of oil coming out and initially putting in 1 quart less. I then checked the oil gage and slowly added oil in 1/3 quart increments to show full but not over full on the bar gage.

My 2009 Boxster was another story. I added one quart less than spec and attempted to slowly fill to top off per the gage reading. I ended up being one bar over full. I knew I was not over 1/4 to 1/3 quart over full so I checked online and the majority of people said it was not an issue. I did notice more periodic exhaust smoke during start up. After a few partial day trips the gage finally ready "full" which was a relief.

Jim