996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Key Fob Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
It sounds like the fuse in the security module located under the driver's seat has popped. It is a little 15 amp blue fuse. If you can't turn your alarm on/off, open your door with the remote and the front trunk/bonnet will not open then I would check that fuse. My popped and did exactly the same thing yours is doing. A few expensive trips to a Porsche mechanic and a long 300+ mile drive to a Porsche dealership in S.A. didn't solve the problem. I found the popped fuse myself, changed it and the problem was solved. It is easy to get to once you remove the driver's seat. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 PM
gottspd has a spectacular aura aboutgottspd has a spectacular aura about
Try spraying the inside of the remote with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner. Mine does this from time to time and it always fixes it....

Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
does the light still blink red on the fob? mine did even with dead guts.
Yes, the light on the fob still blinks.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Valley996TT
It sounds like the fuse in the security module located under the driver's seat has popped. It is a little 15 amp blue fuse. If you can't turn your alarm on/off, open your door with the remote and the front trunk/bonnet will not open then I would check that fuse. My popped and did exactly the same thing yours is doing. A few expensive trips to a Porsche mechanic and a long 300+ mile drive to a Porsche dealership in S.A. didn't solve the problem. I found the popped fuse myself, changed it and the problem was solved. It is easy to get to once you remove the driver's seat. Good luck.
I can't open the door or trunk with my remote.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by gottspd
Try spraying the inside of the remote with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner. Mine does this from time to time and it always fixes it....
I'll give it a shot tonight.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 AM
BW Copeland is on a distinguished road
996 Key fix/ replacment option

The key on my 996 Turbo began acting up then pretty much came apart in my hand a few cycles later. I search around and found this option. $112 and 10 minutes to fix. You have to pull the transponder from your original key and insert it into the new key fob. It looks like a gray tic tack. Super easy.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/996ttkeys.html

Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Using electical contact cleaner didn't work.

I'll try moving the transponder into my other key tonight.

I'm trying to keep this updated for future searchers.

Later, Steve

Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I moved the black pill into my new key with no success. I even did the unlock the door with the key, turn on the ignition and push the button on the fob program process with the new key/old pill with no success.

I'm not sure how this would work, but it was worth a try.

When I switched the guts out of my old key into my new key, but forgot to move the pill, the keyless function would work, but it wouldn't start the car. Given this, it would appear to me that the pill is specifically used to sync with something in the steering column and has nothing to do with the keyless operation.

Later, Steve

Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Correct - Pill and radio transmitter are totally independent.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Urban has a spectacular aura aboutUrban has a spectacular aura about
Mine died last week and I tried everything but nothing worked. My last resort is the new style fob from suncoast. If that does not work then I guess the stealer will get my hard earned money.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 AM
I know that a new fob will not work without being programed by the dealer.

Later, Steve

Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
You have to move the transponder from you old key fob to a new one. It look like a small black tick tack. I do mine in 2 min and it works great

Old 11-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by BW Copeland
You have to move the transponder from you old key fob to a new one. It look like a small black tick tack. I do mine in 2 min and it works great
Sorry typing on a phone equals crappy grammar

Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Dang phone typing. Sorry for the grammar

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Urban
Mine died last week and I tried everything but nothing worked. My last resort is the new style fob from suncoast. If that does not work then I guess the stealer will get my hard earned money.
a new fob will not remedy failed "guts". ever take a look at that circuit board inside? that they have even lasted 10+ years is the real mystery lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Issue