996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Choosing an SSK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 PM
T Bone Turbo is on a distinguished road
Choosing an SSK

Hello everyone
I have an '04 Turbo and I want to install a short shift kit. I have been trying to find out information on the Porsche brand SSK for the turbo. My service manager says he doesn't recommend it because you loose feeling and sometimes can miss-shift. I honestly feel that when I am driving in an aggressive manner and shifting rapidly that I could miss-shift due to the stock length of the shift pattern. I like the Porsche SSK as opposed to others because my warranty does not void.

My question is,

Does anyone have the Porsche SSK installed on his/her car? What is your opinion on it?

Secondly, feedback from other SSK i.e., B&M, etc. is kindly
welcome.

Lastly your individual opions on which SSK is best for the the 996 turbo?

Thanks

-T Bone

Last edited by T Bone Turbo; 08-17-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Cepages is on a distinguished road
I was dissapointed with the SSK in my M5. Too much notchy afterwards. Painful to go into second or to first from second. I like the stock shifter in my Turbo. I think I'll stick with it unless I can test drive one with a SSK and it is great....

Old 08-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Johnfromjersey is on a distinguished road
B&M , no regrets. little more notchy than stock, but more precise and much shorter throw

Old 08-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
45otto is on a distinguished road
I am way happy with my B&M. Much more of a sporty feel from stock.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
there has been lots of controversy about the SSK vs. B&M. I had both and Im currently on a SSk... thats after my tranny was diagnosed with bad synch rolls- the cause cause the B&M. but I dont want to start the controvery again... cause some here think that both items are the same jsut the name is changed. I dont know... but I seen, as I said b4, the porsche intercompany memo about the b&m causeing the synch rolls not to slow down fast enough and thus breaking them.
In my opinion, if u car is on warrenty... buy the ssk anddont worry .,... because when the local porsche rep. shows up to inspect a bad synch roll b4 authorizing the warrenty to change the tranny... he first checks if u have a after market shifter. if so, u pay for the tranny. period. If u dont believe me, call my porsche service manager and ask.
just my thoughts...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I have the B&M in the console and the TechArt at the transmission. My throws are about 20% of the stock throws. Wouldn't change it for the world!
If you go here

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ighlight=moton

and read the last post on the first page, you will see what another fellow turbo owner (dmilzoff - Dave) had to say about my setup.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:10 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Evo short shift kit works well for me.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:30 AM
jayster is on a distinguished road
Warrantee issues aside, any SSK will speed up the demise of your synchro's. Look at it logically, if you speed up the shift, you shorten the time the synchros have to bring the gears up to engagement speed, there by increaseing the rate of wear.
If I were Porsche, and you were the guy with bad synchros, I would look for the SSK too, and if you bought one, you'd be buying a trans to go with it.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
T Bone Turbo is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by jayster
Warrantee issues aside, any SSK will speed up the demise of your synchro's. Look at it logically, if you speed up the shift, you shorten the time the synchros have to bring the gears up to engagement speed, there by increaseing the rate of wear.
If I were Porsche, and you were the guy with bad synchros, I would look for the SSK too, and if you bought one, you'd be buying a trans to go with it.
So if one were to choose the Porsche OE SSK, and the syrcos were to eventually wear out, Porsche warranty should replace the tranny. Here is another question I have been thinking about, Would Porsche engineers produce a SSK that would pose a threat to the well-being of the vehicle?

-T Bone

Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
All I know is their is a piece of **** plastic part that connects the shifter to the shift cable and it does break. Ask me how I know! It is worth changing as it stranded my on a roadcourse and a drag strip.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
With all due respect to all of you on the "other" side of the fence, I feel a need to share my viewpoint on this whole short shift kit vs warranty thing.

I need to preface ALL of my comments with the fact that I do not endorse the use of a Porsche as a drag strip car on the dragstrip or on the street. I am a track oriented enthusiast and this is my mindset........

In a car like a Porsche, it is designed for exemplary performance in all arenas. At the same time, it is the "best fit" compromise they can come up with to serve all the purposes it serves. It is not a funny car, a dragster, nor a drag strip contender. Has it been used that way by some? Yes. Have street racer's used it at those inevitable stoplight to stoplight races? Yes. The bottom line is this.....

Any transmission will exhibit wear if the driver is constantly "banging" gears. On the track, there is absolutely no point to "banging" gears. What will you save? 1/4 second on a 2 minute lap? Let's be real here.

Short shifters are intended to maek the throw shorter plain and simple. I installed mine so that I wasn't feeling like I was rowing a boat any longer. That doesn't mean I pull or push it harder to make the shift faster. My transmission is worth a lot to me and I allow the shifter to go into gear with minimal effort at its own rate. The shifter length, fulcrum point, and resulting leverage changes that result from going to a short shifter are designed to shorten the physical throw distance, arguably not to shorten the time between shifts.

The driver must still be cognizant of the effects of "banging" or "slamming" gears!!!

Now, will Porsche discourage a warranty on a transmission that has an aftermarket SSK? Likely yes. Why? Well, they are in business to make money and every warranty costs them money. If they can find a reason to deny a claim, they will.

The point is this, if you shift properly, SSK or not, you shouldn't have transmission problems to begin with!!!!

Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
OKHJOON190 is on a distinguished road
definately go with the porsche ssk

best mod i ever did

and no you wont mis shift

Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Gotta agree with Ken. The reason you buy a SSK for a Porsche is to shorten the throw DISTANCE , not to " speed shift" gears w/o using the clutch down the drag strip as if you are an NHRA star.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:37 AM
collin996tt is on a distinguished road
the notchiness of an SSK actually makes it harder to speed shift. i find myself shifting more slowly than before. it's like bolting a rifle. no need to hurry. the turbo will make up the time lost in shifting

Old 08-19-2005, 07:34 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
I also agree with Ken. Love my B&M.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Choosing an SSK