996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Road Trip Assistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM
waynerosebmw is on a distinguished road
Road Trip Assistance

This is my first thread since buying my 02 Porsche 996 Turbo from rlj996tt650gt in Phoenix. He has the 911 stored for me until i fly out July and see it for the first time!!
We are planning on spending July on the road and are looking for suggestions for accomodations/sites to see /good Porsche shops(hopefully won't need) along our route .We are planning to drive out to the west coast and take 1/101 from northern Cal. up Washington and then head back to the east coast by way of Montana ,the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and then on to the east coast and finally home(Nova Scotia) and get it on a track for the first time. We make our road trip plans very flexible and change them frequently.
look forward to your suggestions!!
Thanks
Wayne

Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
My suggestion.

Dont. Ship the car.

Rent a car, use trip advisor and carry on.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 AM
CTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond reputeCTDan has a reputation beyond repute
This might be a bit to far out of the way but, hwy 550 from Durango to Uray in SW CO. is really pretty.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
I sold my old 350z to a guy from Nova Scotia. He flew to Toronto I picked him up at the airport and he drove the car home. We did everything in advance so it was all set when he got here, I gave him right to refund if the car wasn't what I said it was (which it was so it was all good).

He drove the car home no issues at all. Phoenix is more than twice as far so that's one hell of a trip in a car that's tough to get parts for when there's no Porsche dealer close by. Honestly id say risk either way it will be one hell of a road trip. If you have an issue it will suck during the drive but be one hell of a story for your buddies. Just make sure you have the time needed plus extra so you're not in a hurry and take extra risk.

Its 3300mi so make sure the tires have enough tread and it has a fresh oil change. I'd also make sure I had a jack (even the ghetto Porsche one) and some tools

Drive easy, carefully and I'd say you'll be just fine

Last edited by King James; 03-02-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 AM
waynerosebmw is on a distinguished road
Thanks

James
Thanks for the ideas . We did a trip from Palm Springs summer 07 with a X3-6 speed that I bought there(still have it) so i agree that preperation and luck play a big part. My wife and I teach now (prior worked as auto service manager) so we'll have extra time if needed. The TT is fully serviced and I'll have supplies for oil change . Will have Durametic and some tools/supplies. This is my first Porsche and hopefully it will prove its value ( I sold a Z4M Coupe with S/C -got to Calabogie with it in 2011 and a 2001 Z3M with S/C ) .I am looking forward to the trip in this car so we'll hope all is well .
Maybe I'll get to Ontario for a track session next summer-good to know you're close if advise is needed.
As for shipping and car rental-did the rental thing last summer when we visited Jackson Hole, Moab and Santa FE.- No fun in the mountains!!
Will join PCA also.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
If you can wait till August stop by here in the Detroit area August 16th for the Woodward Dream Cruise. You will not be disappointed. Plus you can stop by my shop :-)

Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 PM
rangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura aboutrangerdick has a spectacular aura about
Wow! Sounds like a great trip is planned. If you are in the SF Bay area, there are tons of good shops. California has may fantastic roads. Unfortunately, many are lacking in maintenance due to a re-allocation of money to other causes. Any trans Sierra pass is worth its drive except interstate 80. In the SF Bay area, Highway 35 (Skyline Boulevard) is a great road and the bonus is Alice's Restaurant. Do you belong to the Porsche Club of America? They have regional chapters which offer great tips for local roads. If you need a place to do some self serve maintenance, hit me up. I have lotsa tools, a Durametric and garage space. Enjoy....rubber side down...

Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
I have bought two Porsche's from the Scottsdale area! Evolution Motorsports is there! That's who I had go through my 996 TT when I bought it. I drove my truck there and trailer-ed it home! Southern Utah is always cool! Lot's of neat places you could go through! :-)