996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Does this sound like a Rod gone ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
Im confused. Your coolant line off the coolant tank was loose and caused a boost leak and loss of 100hp?
Actually I do not know..... the coolant line was a bit loose and I also fixed another minor fitting which I just tightened screws upon the hose fitting.....

I suspect the loss was more from the lower Ethanol percentage and hotter temps here

In May on E70 and 70F was getting 0.95 g at 53 mph or so
This week on E85 and 70F getting around 1.07g at 55 mph and likewise at higher speeds

Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
do I just go to a 997TT lifter ?
yes u should

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Okay, 997TT lifters it is with rods yada yada yada

my neighbour thinks it is the IMS as well

:-)

Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Okay, 997TT lifters it is with rods yada yada yada

my neighbour thinks it is the IMS as well

:-)

Hello 30000$ ugh. I hope mine lasts for a million miles. Lol

Old 06-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Hello 30000$ ugh. I hope mine lasts for a million miles. Lol
We'll see if there is any metal in the filters and rest of the engine if it is the IMS

Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+1 on valves. Talk to Tim about working the heads a bit maybe too.
Good luck

Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
We'll see if there is any metal in the filters and rest of the engine if it is the IMS
the ims is usually not an issue on turbos, as much as non turbo 996's

Old 06-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Yeah I've been told it could be 5 different things most likely lifters.... we'll see when it is operated on

Old 06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think its IMS - try to lift the car, start the engine, go under and listen , i also think its lifters. it sucks man.
and yes take the filter out, cut it open and inspect it. and drain the oil and inspect. -

Last edited by MadWhip; 06-11-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by MadWhip
I dont think its IMS - try to lift the car, start the engine, go under and listen , i also think its lifters. it sucks man.
and yes take the filter out, cut it open and inspect it. and drain the oil and inspect. -
Car throws no fault codes so would that mean if is is the lifters than there is no camshaft problems ?

Had a mate here who builds race cars (N/A) and says most certainly lifters from my videos as the tapping is rather rhythmic unlike the intermittent off kilter tap/clunk/tap/rattle of an IMS failure. He said that is probably better than the IMS problem as the lifters, rods, headstuds will be done anyway.

I am not going to take out the filters as it is going to Tim anyway.

No biggie compared to a mate who got bitten by an Eastern King Brown downunder yesterday... luckily they can save his life and leg !

Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
When I had a collapsed lifter it was a very loud metallic rhythmic clunk. If it is a lifter, you can easily isolate it by listening with a stethoscope. You'll be able to pinpoint it down to the individual cylinder and whether its on the intake or exhaust side. Very easy... If you're having the engine rebuilt then there is absolutely no point to running it anymore and risking more damage.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:42 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
^ Yes agree.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
When I had a collapsed lifter it was a very loud metallic rhythmic clunk. If it is a lifter, you can easily isolate it by listening with a stethoscope. You'll be able to pinpoint it down to the individual cylinder and whether its on the intake or exhaust side. Very easy... If you're having the engine rebuilt then there is absolutely no point to running it anymore and risking more damage.
yes it is loud and rhythmic... car has not been run since the video last night... I read your thread here, thanks

Old 06-11-2015, 05:11 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Stinks if it's a lifter but if you're pulling the motor anyway you would probably have been upgrading them anyway to the upgraded part while it was out. I've now heard of a couple of cars with the old style lifter go so it's on my list when the motor comes out too. Sucks to spend the cash though, prices on one set are rude! A snowball job for sure, please keep us up on what you find and replace!

Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Stinks if it's a lifter but if you're pulling the motor anyway you would probably have been upgrading them anyway to the upgraded part while it was out. I've now heard of a couple of cars with the old style lifter go so it's on my list when the motor comes out too. Sucks to spend the cash though, prices on one set are rude! A snowball job for sure, please keep us up on what you find and replace!
Mark - prodigymb told me to upgrade all the lifters anyway so I kind of thought about that... in a way it is blessing in disguise because I was going to upgrade turbos and not build the engine.. then I heard my late Dad's words ringing in my ears about doing it right the 1st time

we will see... I think total lifter replacement (997TT) and carillo rods n studs n bolts may do it... we will see

I will update what happens as we go along

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a Rod gone ?