996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Does this sound like a Rod gone ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Does this sound like a Rod gone ?

I found a minor boost leak yesterday where I had tugged at a hose a bit too aggressively, fixed it, topped up my cooler fluid a teensy bit, topped up my oil and suddenly found my lost 100 hp....

I beat on the car today and it ran perfectly, did 6.5s 60 to 130 mph in 85F temps...... then tonight I was going to listen to some music and went to take the car out.....

At idle it sounded like ****..... I drove on low power for a warm up and then did some videos where it still sounds like ****.

Does this sound like bent rods ?

warm idle

hot idle

Car is going in next week to Tim anyway !

cold idle

Last edited by wolfhedge; 06-10-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Uh boy, sounds like something is rubbing for sure! Checked the filter or drain magnet (if you've got one)? Any chance it's a turbo? Seems to be a pretty fast repetition to me for the RPMs but if it's rubbing on something inside it would be on intake and exhaust strokes. Guess this helps you decide next steps, sorry to hear!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Could be an intermediate shaft problem - it can sound like that and many other things, too. It's hard to say from the video, but if it's loud and you can tell it's really just not right, then you should immediately stop driving it and start thoroughly diagnosing. If it's not able to be located with the motor in the car, then most likely you will end up taking the motor out and apart to find the issue. And you probably should before much more serious damage occurs. You need a shop that knows these engines very well and has rebuilt them, so they will be able to easily spot and identify anything out of the ordinary.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 AM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
not good ,sorry for you Mate if it sound louder from under the car then good chance a rod is knocking !
be careful not to damage to crankshaft and stop running your engine .
good thing now it's time to build your engine and you didint blow her up...

here is mine (rod knocking)

Last edited by mtlsp; 06-11-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:07 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
3 seconds was all i needed. uh oh

Old 06-11-2015, 05:55 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Could just be a failed lifter too...very common in these engines. Engine still has to come out, but a cheaper fix...if that's all you want to do...

Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Car was going to The Tim next week to have rods, headstuds etc done...... will have to tow her down there.

The E85 at my station was back up from 75% to 84% so the extra power may have done it.

thx for input

Last edited by wolfhedge; 06-11-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Could be an intermediate shaft problem - it can sound like that and many other things, too. It's hard to say from the video, but if it's loud and you can tell it's really just not right, then you should immediately stop driving it and start thoroughly diagnosing. If it's not able to be located with the motor in the car, then most likely you will end up taking the motor out and apart to find the issue. And you probably should before much more serious damage occurs. You need a shop that knows these engines very well and has rebuilt them, so they will be able to easily spot and identify anything out of the ordinary.
I was getting a weird rumble/grumble in 3rd-4th gear on WOT at max torque levels (4000-4400 rpm) just as max boost was reached on and off for a few weeks.. could this be indicative too of IMS failure (ball bearings rattling at high speed ?)

Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 AM
John@speedtech

Yeah I just found some of your old posts at rennlist where you discuss this and osme old videos here.. mine sounds exactly like the IMS failure on this video

Old 06-11-2015, 07:17 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Off topic but what specific hose was it that was loose that robbed you of your power before you fixed it?

Originally Posted by wolfhedge
I found a minor boost leak yesterday where I had tugged at a hose a bit too aggressively, fixed it, topped up my cooler fluid a teensy bit, topped up my oil and suddenly found my lost 100 hp....

I beat on the car today and it ran perfectly, did 6.5s 60 to 130 mph in 85F temps...... then tonight I was going to listen to some music and went to take the car out.....

At idle it sounded like ****..... I drove on low power for a warm up and then did some videos where it still sounds like ****.

Does this sound like bent rods ?

warm idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-6gkwgdsk

hot idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogr10eYPDx4

Car is going in next week to Tim anyway !

cold idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBmenOBeAQ

Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 AM
off the bottom of the reservoir at the base was just a teensy bit loose

Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Sounds like a lifter collapsed

Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Sounds like a lifter collapsed
So if I am doing rods n headstuds do I just go to a 997TT lifter ?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Im confused. Your coolant line off the coolant tank was loose and caused a boost leak and loss of 100hp?

Last edited by NTIMD8; 06-11-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
So if I am doing rods n headstuds do I just go to a 997TT lifter ?
I definitely not the person to ask that. I'm still learning myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a Rod gone ?