996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost leak test

Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Greehn will become famous soon enoughGreehn will become famous soon enough
Boost leak test

Hello guys

I'm in the middle of a boost leaktest and I found a leak just under the Y-pipe. But I couldnt figure out where it came from, so I started to dismount the Y-pipe. But I couldnt get it off, it seems like it's holding in the connection to the plenum valve. (I've loosened the hoseclamps).

Anyone know where the leak can come from and maby tell me whats holding the Y-pipe?

Thanks for all answears

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-996-Turbo-engine.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	427965  
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Boost leak test

I believe that #30 (4-way) connection is below there.
For y-pipe, make sure the 2 secure bolts are removed, the 2 large boost hoses disconnected, the F-hose disconnected, throttle clamps loosened. I had to pull hard and twist mine to dislodge it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo217.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	427984  
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Lucid Moment is a name known to allLucid Moment is a name known to allLucid Moment is a name known to allLucid Moment is a name known to allLucid Moment is a name known to allLucid Moment is a name known to all
There should be a third bolt connecting to the ac hose, on the right side of the Y pipe. To get to the 4 way connection, #30, the TB has to come out. However that's an unlikely source.

There is a hose the connects the the Fpipe, its sort of underneath the ypipe, good luck.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
maybe plenum is leaking...known problem

Old 09-12-2015, 05:32 AM
Thank you for your response. Ill continue the search and I'll give you the answear on where it was leaking when I know it

Old 09-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Boostleak

Pressurizing form the turbo outlets and into the engine. I hear this hizzing noise when I go past 15psi - 0,7/0,8 bar.
I can feel some air blowing out from under the Y-pipe. I have spraying with leakfinder but I can not see any bubbles. So now I don't what to do

Old 09-14-2015, 03:27 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Under the pipe/throttle area there is a 4way vacuum line. I'm guessing that could be one of the potential spots that it might be leaking. If this is the case one the #21 check valves is leaking.

Last edited by LQQK; 09-14-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:47 PM
I found out that the leak was comming from the bottom of the seal between the plenum and the intake-pipe to the cylinder heads. So now I'm waiting for some good **** to harden over night. Then Tomorrow evening I will pressurize it again and see if I have any more leaks. But this was a big one..

Old 09-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Greehn
I found out that the leak was comming from the bottom of the seal between the plenum and the intake-pipe to the cylinder heads. So now I'm waiting for some good **** to harden over night. Then Tomorrow evening I will pressurize it again and see if I have any more leaks. But this was a big one..
there was nothing under the Y pipe as far as vacuum lines that can leak like I told you on Fb... glad you found it...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-16-2015, 04:10 PM
The only thing under there was Nr:30 in Jeanmarcboilard's picture. But the original plenum got a little lip at the bottom of the gasket, it was there it was leaking good things!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The only thing under there was Nr:30 in Jeanmarcboilard's picture. But the original plenum got a little lip at the bottom of the gasket, it was there it was leaking good things!
So was it the black o ring on the the throttle body ? That was my first guess when I told you to look.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Yes it was, but it took some time to figure (my first time doing this). Because when i got the Y-pipe off, I had to modify my pressure flange thingy with some garden-hose and glue Then the glue had to harden for 12 hours before I could mount it directly onto the plenum rubber coupling..

Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
Yes it was, but it took some time to figure (my first time doing this). Because when i got the Y-pipe off, I had to modify my pressure flange thingy with some garden-hose and glue Then the glue had to harden for 12 hours before I could mount it directly onto the plenum rubber coupling..
Right. I made a special tool just for that testing.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Same We'll, now I just have to see if the engine has any more leaks. I dont think so, but We'll see tomorrow

Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Some pictures

This is my item modded with garden hose

Here is where I fitted it to get a better pressuretest (more space with Y-pipe away)

My blind hub when I tested from the turbos.