996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997.2 or gt2rs cooler fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 PM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
new picture

Old 10-22-2015, 01:58 PM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
question is what was my mistake? 100% meth? many guys here use 100% meth...

log from my blew intake http://datazap.me/u/mike/log-1445544140?log=0&data=1

Last edited by mtlsp; 10-22-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtlsp
question is what was my mistake? 100% meth? many guys here use 100% meth...

log from my blew intake http://datazap.me/u/mike/log-1445544140?log=0&data=1
what likely happened was the meth was pooling somewhere in the intake trac due to leaky jet, solenoid etc and when enough pooled it was ignited possibly by the heat and kaboom. meth is just like a blond . it requires constant maintenance .

Old 10-22-2015, 05:22 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
WOW talking about Breaking Bad....
Note to self, stay off Meth

Old 10-23-2015, 05:05 AM
i was (WHEN HIGH boost only)pulling down low some extra meth for more cooling so that might explain the pooling your explaining !,all this was done via my test button throwing 100% in low rpm! learned the hard way .look like it make sense what you said Steve

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
what likely happened was the meth was pooling somewhere in the intake trac due to leaky jet, solenoid etc and when enough pooled it was ignited possibly by the heat and kaboom. meth is just like a blond . it requires constant maintenance .

Last edited by mtlsp; 10-23-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i just don't mess with these setups. its just to risky. ditch all that crap and convert to e85 and you will never worry about this again

Old 10-23-2015, 06:56 AM
unfortunatly we dont have E85 here that realy suck man

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i just don't mess with these setups. its just to risky. ditch all that crap and convert to e85 and you will never worry about this again

Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
There was a guy on one of the German boards who had the plastic end tanks copied in aluminum. I do not know if he ever produced more of these, but if you are interested I can ask (tried calling but he is out sick - can pursue if you are seriously interested). Can not imagine that they are very inexpensive, though. After welding the fittings on, I can easily imagine that they cost more than Pete's end tanks. And even though the pic shows the tanks attached to the cores with the tabs, he ended up welding them to the cores.

I read about someone else buying the cheap Chinese intercoolers (I believe they are the same ones Vivid sell - certainly look the same). They can (could?) be found at around $350/pair and cutting the end tanks off those and welding them to the GT2 RS cores. Prob the best thing you could do to this ICs . Can't remember where that was though.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Banned
I have pdf files for building 4.5" I/c if anybody wants them. If you truly want to keep the 997 cores I can ask Sean to build you a set. You will need to send the cores to him.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:59 AM
very thxfull Steve but i ordered some ETS IC yesterday
ta bad....

Old 10-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=mtlsp;4417414]
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
i aree with you Marski too much pressure from meth ignition would blow buch of thing like my intake manifold ,Y Pipe got damage to and of course my gt2rs IC! but without a use of meth pushing it max 1.8 bar should not be a problem... from my experience
Yours worked apparently. Not all fail just like not all turbos fail for example. I know personally at least 5 guys who's end tanks blew up and non were on Meth. One of them had the warrantied set blow up too all in the same year.
So they either work or don't from the get go. Ask Ben a member here from Houston the drama he went thru.
I'm friends with the master tech here in Chicago at a local p car dealership. They had a 996 with the gt2rs on and couldn't figure out out codes. Non of them , of course, pointed to blown Ics.
If one wrenches then you can't beat the price, but if your paying a shop to put them on and then diagnosed weird codes and or then swap them again , your going to be $3k in it. And for that you can get a high performance Intercooler. Btw, is the Wagner craze over yet ? The $1200 are Chinese made Ics are on alibaba.com.
if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM
agree Marski if your about to throw more then 1.4-1.5 bar in does gt2rs then stay away from it insted get some good aftermarket IC that can hold pressure
going back to my blewed intake if my intercooler would had not evacuate that crazy pressure i believe more damage would have be done inside engine compartment i beleive pressure was far more then 100psi...
explosion was so loud i tough i had blew my engine...
[QUOTE=MARKSKI@911tuning;4418112]
Originally Posted by mtlsp

Yours worked apparently. Not all fail just like not all turbos fail for example. I know personally at least 5 guys who's end tanks blew up and non were on Meth. One of them had the warrantied set blow up too all in the same year.
So they either work or don't from the get go. Ask Ben a member here from Houston the drama he went thru.
I'm friends with the master tech here in Chicago at a local p car dealership. They had a 996 with the gt2rs on and couldn't figure out out codes. Non of them , of course, pointed to blown Ics.
If one wrenches then you can't beat the price, but if your paying a shop to put them on and then diagnosed weird codes and or then swap them again , your going to be $3k in it. And for that you can get a high performance Intercooler. Btw, is the Wagner craze over yet ? The $1200 are Chinese made Ics are on alibaba.com.
if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
I dont know how much boost u all have, but i dont know anyone whos 997 gt2 RS blew up. Even 9ff uses them. But here we use the modified ones. Thats why they are bullet proof.
http://www.steffan-sportwagenservice...-rs-umbau.html
Thats how they look. 1,6 bar is not a problem at all to them. The 997 gt2 RS has 1,6 bar.
There is no Substitute on german roads.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:02 PM
no gt2rs cooler will support 100psi man!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
I dont know how much boost u all have, but i dont know anyone whos 997 gt2 RS blew up. Even 9ff uses them. But here we use the modified ones. Thats why they are bullet proof.
http://www.steffan-sportwagenservice...-rs-umbau.html
Thats how they look. 1,6 bar is not a problem at all to them. The 997 gt2 RS has 1,6 bar.
There is no Substitute on german roads.
Ben107 is his screen name. Just one. 1.4 bar boost on a28s. Idk if he still has the car.
My client has 9ff 3.8l motor and other goodies as he lived close to them and runs 1.6 bar on a2873s. Guess who's 4.5" Ics are on the car. And he would never ever put on the gt2 rs. He actually says that those who believe in gt2rs Ics will never understand nor ever admit that quality bar n plate Ics are thag much better. He actually is an engineer himself who also is a tuner so data logs and graphs is what he lives by. There is more to it then just watching Intake temps on Ics which is all that everyone does. Sure they will recover sooner - the fin design and the lesser mass but what will they do with for when flow and volume really matters to some. There is always a compromise to everything. There are guys who will never put on a rs Ic just like there are guys who will never spend $3k on really good Ics. Yet they will over spend on boost hoses or intakes covered with fake carbon to make them selves feel better. Whatever makes you happy. In the end it's your car your money. I e been down this road a many times since 2001 and made many mistakes. THats how I leaned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 or gt2rs cooler fix